Please help! Engine not working :(

GoldenMotor.com
Jun 19, 2012
Arizona
I have a 66cc motor from BGF and it has given me nothing but trouble. Most recently my throttle cable snapped, luckily I had a replacement. Now with this new one, the cable doesn't seem to move as freely, so it will sometimes get stuck WOT and the spring doesn't have enough resistance to bring it back, but once I twist back it's fine. Anyway, I put in on and with my petcock open all the way it would bog and WOT would be really low RPM and only 15 mph tops, then i would close the petcock, and it would start to go faster, up to 30-33. I let it sit for about 15 minutes because I got frustrated and then when I tried to ride it again it wouldn't start I checked the cylinder, an the piston rings, all good, good compression. I took the spark plug out and I know for a fact that sparks (gave me a nasty shock while I was riding). I emptied the float, refilled it, and still nothing. It just turns over and shoots unburned gas out of the exhaust. I am at a total loss, any help would be appreciated. To recap, checked spark, kill switch disconnected, Good compression, it's getting fuel, it's turning over, but just not starting up. I could really use any help you folks have to offer, I'm just so frustrated. :-||

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Hmm, Did you say, "I emptied the float"?
The float is not supposed to take on liquid, if it is then it is leaking and should be replaced... and I would say "there's yer problem"....

GSX

Jun 15, 2012
Ray Brook
Sounds like your float height is wrong OR your needle and seat may have a leak. Check your float height and see if its in spec, if it is then its most likely the needle and seat valve. The way i check for proper operation is simply taking the carb off the motor, draining it and blow into the fuel line when the carb is bowl side down. If you can feel air going through, the needle is leting gas in aka not stuck closed. To check and see if it leaks i blow into the fuel line when the carb is bowl side down, and as im blowing i will flip it bowl side up. If you can feel the air stop, that means the needle and seat are sealing. Hope this helps, as im terrible at explaining things in writing (as you can tell haha)