How do I shrink my picture????

GoldenMotor.com

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I want to posty pics and cant figure out how to reduce the size....Help me figure this out so I can post my bike...
I gave you the answer here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f3/why-i-only-build-beachcruisers-11322-2.html

Right after you told me:

So your (sic) missing the whole topic?
A good free program to change (shrink) pics is GIMP:

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

Lots of features and it's FREE.

Not really that hard to use the program, to resize is way simple.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
No what I was saying is I've worked with Photoshop a lot as in I've used it a lot in the past. I lost it when I had a HD crash and I tried gimp as an alternative.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I'm on a Mac and I had purchased a program called Downsize like 8 years ago for 6 dolla. They have a permanent file on me in the event I lose my program like when I upgrade or get another Mac and will give me my purchase number I also get free upgrades.
I love this program because it's almost too easy to use.

Stunt Software - Downsize

(edit) WOAH. They raised their prices. But man I use this all the time.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
I want to posty pics and cant figure out how to reduce the size....Help me figure this out so I can post my bike...
Actually windows has this capability.

Have a look at this thread, (http://motorbicycling.com/f30/how-post-pictures-7572.html), and then do the following:

1) Launch paint...pic#1

2) Click file...open...and find your photo in the directory where it is stored...pic#2

3) Click Image...attributes to see the current size of your photo...pic#5

4) Click Image and then sretch/skew...alter the 2 stretch percentage values equally so that your photo is within the acceptable range for upload...pics #4 & #3

5) Save with a new name if you want to retain the original. I usually create a sub directory for modified photos that are used on the net.

Jim

Attachments

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Take your picture at the smallest resolution that your camera allows...1024 X 768 creates a larger file size than 640 X 480 ect.

Whoever suggested washing your camera...that will not shrink your pictures silly...they are already outside of the camera. Mind you it will help resolve any warranty issues you might have had with the camera.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Whoever suggested washing your camera...that will not shrink your pictures silly...they are already outside of the camera. Mind you it will help resolve any warranty issues you might have had with the camera.
Yea that's just dumb, it's the memory card not the camera and it's not the washing that shrinks it's drying it in the dryer. I hope my wife doesn't see this or she'll know that shrunk favorite sweater incident was my ingenious plan for getting out of doing laundry for the last 20 years. :D

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
You guys are too funny!

Good call George...Digital cameras do have a menu in the initial settings that will allow pics to be taken at a resolution that is acceptable for upload to this site. 1024X768 works fine.

Kevlarr...I use PSP8 for a lot of stuff too! I know my copy is outdated...but then again so am I...:D

Barely...Ah yes...thanks for the proposal...but I think I'll stick with Karen...laff

Jim

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
You can also try this. Once the pic is saved to your windows comp no matter what the resolution is. Right click the pic, goto open with, choose microsoft photo editor. The pic will open, hit Image tab, hit resize, for posting here change to pixels from inches, type 1299 in the width box, leave smooth checked, hit OK. Hit file tab, then save as, If you want to keep the original just change the name of the newly resized one. It's already in XP and once you do it you'll see it's very easy.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Take your picture at the smallest resolution that your camera allows...1024 X 768 creates a larger file size than 640 X 480 ect.
That is one school of thought.
Personally I take every pic with my camera set as high as it will go, 4000x3000 for mine. The more pixels you can capture the better.

Then I just let the paint program do the work.

In my case I have been using the free fully functioning non-expiring version version 4.12 of Paint Shop Pro for over a decade for all my picture work.

I have the program for free download and a fully illustrated tutorial of how to take and post really great motorized bike pics here.

KC's Kruisers - Motorized Bike Forum - Pictures for Forum Use made Easy

I figure if you want to show off your work you might as well put as much detail in your pic as you did your bike, and you must admit I make pretty good pics just using PSP.

Then again it helps to have an instant 'photo wall' and good light too ;-}

That mirror is movable and my big glass shop door faces West so I get great natural light there in the afternoon.

Regardless of the program you use you may find my Tutorial on how I take and make pics for forums helpful.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine