Master Links

GoldenMotor.com

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
It may or may not sound stupid but this tpi has saved my bacon before. When
you replace a chain and install the Master Link make SURE that the open part of the Master Link ( the outside U ) the openpart of it always points to the back of the bike. Never have lost one that way yet:)

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
I dont meen to be a smart a** but you want it the "U" pointing to the back of the bike when on the top of the sprocket (when on the bottom of the sprocket the opening will be towards the engine)....

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I threw a chain when the master link came apart a couple of weeks back- luckily I was only a block from home. and I think it was because the sprocket nuts in back had loosened and the sprock was not lined up.

I'm not giving it another chance and joined the chain together with a chain tool.

I was going to post a thread "Don't buy this chain tool" because I got a really nice looking thing on ebay for $23 a couple years back, but found that while it would take the chain APART- it had no backing plate behind the chain for putting it back together- still don't have a picture- lots goin on.

My solution was found when I took an old Bell chain tool, YES the cheap $6 kind from wal-Mart, which normally a 415 chain WON'T fit inside

But because it had already broken off one of the inner chain guide support plates on the inside of the tool, I completed the process and stripped it clean with needlenose pliers-

and know what? It works great now with a 415 chain! It fits inside and also backs the chain for re-pressing the pin.