Micargi Puma with twin 97cc flat top lifan's

GoldenMotor.com

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Never gave much thought to building a stretch. However, there was an add on CL - a Puma listed really low. I did give it somethought - 60 seconds, the kind seller even drove 60 some odd miles to make delivery. I parked her hanging upside down in the shop and dismissed my purchase, having much more pressing projects already set into motion. (Photo 1)

By now I should know it’s not wise to read CL with the photo option on. It does not help me to say no when you can see the goodies enclosed in the said add. Burned $40 fuel and paid $125 for three more engines. Already had two, feels like they are breeding at night. At this point I still have not had any ideas just engines, bikes and bike parts. And THEN!

The youtube video linked below, I immediately knew what I must do.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xecioooCyyE

Photo 3 working on the mounting plate.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Now before I get started and have this build out of order.

Puma $100
Engines $51 ea x2
Engine mounting plate was approximately $5. I have previously purchased a length of boxed mild steel tubing. I split this length wise. Four feet of boxed steel became 8’ of engine mounting plate.
The two gears purchased at Granger were expensive I thought $16ea.
Of course I had to be out of 40 roller chain 10’ $50
The photos are of the removal of the Governor and its internal wheels and gears.
Be aware when you tap the shaft into the engine there is a tiny flat washer under the gear that usually seems to like to remain stuck to the inside of the engine wall. Make sure you get it out before you put the side cover back on. Removal is a snap! This engine does not have all the parts of the OHV engine and the process was strikingly painless and fast. The hole in the side of the block was then tapped and caped.

Attachments

Last edited:

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Getting the mounting plate ready. Together twins as they will sit. The cardboard shows I will need to move the seatpoast. They will fit! In picture 3; rubber bushings under the mount in hopes this will dappen some of the engine vibrations as they will not be 100% in sink and Im sure to have some chain flop. Or this may make it worse. Find out when I start them together.

Attachments

Last edited:

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
ya you can time them any way you like 40,45 60 90 180 deg anything. a harley one day honda the next. see what works best!

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
motorhedfred: You asked about the engines. I watch Craigs List and eBay and Harbor Freight like a hawk. Engines arrived like this.

(1) Dredge pump complete w/ pump at HF tent sale marked down to $89. Upon exanimation I noticed the gas on/off switch was borken. Pointing this out to a manager I offered $25 and paid $30. removed the pump sold it on eBay $15.

(2) Engine two was a listed on ebay as a complete short block no bids got it for $28.

(2,3,4) Listed on local CL for $125. The story; Guy is involved in swaping stock engins doodle bug engines with 6.5hp kits. Seems to have done this many times. He just wanted to unload this pile of engines. I told him to give me a shout should he have new extra's.

Note: I have had much luck on CL by contacting the seller. Telling them what I am doing. Asking them to hold an item. I have emailed them pictures of my builds etc. The guy with the three engines took his add down and held the engines for me for 5 days until I was paid. He did this not because I asked because I asked after I did a show and tell. He was thrilled to see what I was doing and willing he wanted to help me along.

As I am ending this note I rise up to go pick up another engine this one is a powerproducts 94cc (I think) gear driven chain saw! This is another CL add I have called they guy I have purchased a few items from him. He delivered Weedy to me at my work because I asked because I didnt have time to go get it. Now I am buying more engines from him.

Answer where do I get my good deals from? Everyplace!

Need a nice 3.5 hp enging type "edger" into your local CL and see the 3.5hp briggs 30-80 all day long and those are $300 engines new at your local small engine shop!

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Thank you all for your kind words! Know I am having the best time with this build! Hi everyone who is reading along!

This is the most fun I have had with a build yet. Not a lot has changed; I have now the shafts accepting the 5/8" 10t sprocket fit for a #40 chain.

Looks like I forgot to "ask" for a master link or any shaft keys. So the irritated sales rep did not remind me to purchase one. Also he did not ask to sell me anything extra. Classic employees FAIL!

Oh I do share the blame or even take it. Only I would be horrified if this was the way my sales employees represented my inventory. And I therefore am justly irrupted because if that sales rep cared about the success of Granger (himself, his job, how he feeds his family) he would have try to up sale me and I would not have to burn more dinosaurs’ get my swag. The man did not even ask me if I needed anything else. I felt he was irritated I was not a large commercial account with a written order. P A R D O N me for making him get his fat book out and use his fingers to find two gears and a chain!

Ok, I am now sane. Thanks for reading along. It is my intent to blog this build, so if I start pulling my hair out (umm ok bad example) you’re all going to hear about it!

Oh so what the pix are a few angles with the engines bolted power plant rack. The rack is placed on a stool next to the bike. This mock up demonstrates that power plant will fit; it was not just the card board. Laugh at me laughing at myself; hard to believe looking back at my cardboard art mock up that among other things, I have an art degree.

Please share in my vision as you thumb through the files. I got so EXCITED when I stepped back and she started to speak to me. She is speaking to some of you; I can hear her. My mind is bliss with visions… excitement… joy….smiles/s… and that’s just what happens to those that see her on the road. I’m wondering if I am worthy of all this blissfulness!

Attachments

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
holy crap...that bike just makes me wanna go....and go....and go...nice frikin work lab...im signed on for this thread bro...very nice work...

LabRat

Dec 24, 2011
Ruston, Washington
Thanks for the heads up, seeing as I must have heard this from a member last year. Anyway, it is my intent use the motor mount the full length of the frame. Having said this :
Ind-Chuckz could you elaborate where else the weak spots in the frame you had problems with are located? Not clear on location of refering 'frame stays'

Last edited:

Ind-Chuckz

Feb 18, 2013
Houston,Tx
Rear wheel mounts I've got a picture somewhere. See if I can find them.
Thanks for the heads up, seeing as I must have heard this from a member last year. Anyway, it is my intent use the motor mount the full length of the frame. Having said this :
Ind-Chuckz could you elaborate where else the weak spots in the frame you had problems with are located? Not clear on location of refering 'frame stays'