what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Put my Maxis Hookworms 24x2.5 on they do look smaller. I wish they made these in 24x3.0. I liked the look and feel of that larger tire. The Berm Masters I had looked very large in girth compaired to the Hookworm.

I road around on them and they do grip the road really well! I look at them and they are a great heavy duty tire. Now that I am running slicks I recon I better watch out for any patches of sand on the asphalt tho.

I am almost ready to put the L/C BoXer together. This old A/C BoXer has been a good buddy to me. Got to ride with the HookWorms more to make up my mind. The Berm Master 24X30 has been my favorite so far.

Putting a tire on my Large Marge rims has goten way easy tire spoon wise I found a great trick! My problemy now is putting fresh duct tape on the rim and the tape not sliding over when putting a tire on lol.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

I went out for a night ride ,over to the V.F.W for pool league ( also wanted to park in the row of harleys over there hehehe) note to all who build there own head lamps pay attention to the focal length I need to move my lamp back to get a more focused beam doing that tomorrow night. other than that fantastic lil ride.

IDKSomethingBIKES

Mar 18, 2012
south jersey

hi to something that can help me first im new to fourms but pretty been reading this for hours and hours but short intro my is Kyle been biking and working them forever so i dont no how post just what to hear something of guick tip list of things to REALY put one together for a china girl? like loctight clean tank not afraid to take a motor also main things cant find anything on 24in wheel cruiser style frames i had some cool ideas like 26in wheels on it typing kind of cause im on ps3 thank you

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis

It really sucks big-time when you haven't even got enough money to buy a gallon of gas. My bills are all paid, but my bike is empty. And this Friday is not a payday.

So, to console myself, I went over the bike in great detail, seeing what I could fine-tune, or lube, or adjust, or in general make it work better. I put some nylock nuts in places I wanted 'em but didn't have 'em before. Checked my wheel and chain alignment. Dragged out the multi-meter and checked batteries. On & on.

Oh, and earlier I finally finished the restoration on my wife's bike once & for all. It's under the thread "Lovely Bike for a Lovely Lady". She loves how it looks now. Even with her trade-mark poker face, I can tell she's pleased.

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois

NOTHING. For the first time since I built it about 6 weeks ago, I parked it after a long ride and there was nothing came loose, or out of adjustment, or anything. It felt weird.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania

I have done a few things to my bike lately. Not all in one day, but in the past week or two. I put a slime tube on my rear tire, so now both wheels have slime tubes. The other day I made a new air filter cover out of an empty soup can. Today, I found a better way to mount my mirror. I took the screw out that clamps my clutch handle to my handlebar, drilled a hole straight through, and put the end of my mirror through it.

andrewflores17

Jul 12, 2010
colorado springs, CO

like that mirror idea i to have slimed my tires this week took the old tube and wraped them around my slime tubes then pumped them up .

holding good and i feel it ads a extra layer of rubber from the road gremlins

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Looks like a great little beast of a ride! Hows the shake down run? That first run is always the greatest fun thrill ever!

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh

worked on tearing down moms old bike for spare parts,then hooked up spedometer on ol sgt. scruffy. lil sad top speed 30 mph but cruises good at 20 mph,good 15 mph top speed rough terrain off roading in field.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

Looks like a great little beast of a ride! Hows the shake down run? That first run is always the greatest fun thrill ever!
so far so good, clutch works as it should and jackshaft bracket is secured in place.

just need to get a new cutting disc for the angle grinder so i can cut the shaft to size.

i didn't know how long i needed of one so i ordered an 18" long shaft, once i cut it down i'm going to measure it again to find out the final size it needs to be.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

...and nobody asked???

bully clutch, inboard disk, AND what's up with almost NO primary reduction???
the pipe looks Great!
I'll bet the motor sounds nasty! to pull with that small a reduction it MUST be! :)

and a leading tensioner??? how's that work for you?
can't say I've ever seen a leading link chain tensioner before!

I can tell all u guys are gettin ready for the big race! :)
rc

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

wwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo got her running!

just need to figure out a chain tensioner since the final chain (crank to rear wheel) kept jumping off.

but i gotta say, it has torque!!!!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

wwwwwwwwwwoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo got her running!

just need to figure out a chain tensioner since the final chain (crank to rear wheel) kept jumping off.

but i gotta say, it has torque!!!!
LOL

GREAT!
I'm watchin' all u hotrod guys!!!
HP and reliability... sounds good to me! lol

Do you have the sliding axle adjustment on your frame? or dropouts?
Maybe u could get those eye-bolt kinda washers that go back to a piece at the end of the axle slide-in thingy, with a nut on the end of it???
Gosh was THAT a horrid job of 'splaining!!! lol

Good luck!
rc

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

LOL

GREAT!
I'm watchin' all u hotrod guys!!!
HP and reliability... sounds good to me! lol

Do you have the sliding axle adjustment on your frame? or dropouts?
Maybe u could get those eye-bolt kinda washers that go back to a piece at the end of the axle slide-in thingy, with a nut on the end of it???
Gosh was THAT a horrid job of 'splaining!!! lol

Good luck!
rc
sadly it just has vertical dropouts. :< so no way to adjust it there. right now i'm using the derailer to act as a chain tensioner, it works for the most part. only problem is the only freewheel in the system is on the crank so i have to run the chain super tight and even then it still tries to jump off.

it's one of those things where if my rear gear was a tooth bigger or smaller, it would be perfect.

I also need to see about getting a smaller belt as the current one has a little too much slack in it.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

I got a little done on the Schwinn Southport today.
Not much, but I'm whooped. lol

Took the rag joint apart to replace the broken spoke, so I could true the bent wheel the bike came with... Pulled a spoke out of a spare-parts wheel... too long!
Anybody know what die to use to re-thread a 14g spoke??? lol
So I had to pull a spoke from another wheel that was actually a good one. Oh well.
I REALLY don't like rag joints! They are more difficult to take apart than to assemble in the first place!
Used the crazy mixed up bolts it came with to re-assemble it.
China bolts that are too soft and the nuts get rounded off using a china wrench on 'em.
Gosh! I'll replace 'em all after the chain stretches and the rag settles down into whatever position it likes to be in...
Change. Something you can be assured of.
At least when dealing with a rag joint!

I got the rag joint set up to within .030 on both concentric and lateral runout. That's good!!!
It's just NOT gonna stay that way, though...

I really must try to get a hub that can run an adapter one of our vendors offer.

Took a file to the sprocket teeth a bit... There are scars on it from where it threw a chain for the last builder. I hope to avoid that! lol

Got set up to weld the new front motor mount... I'll do that manana. God willing and the crick don't rise!

Spent some time considering the odd style of center-pull brake taken off one of the 'English bikes'. It's kinda neato...
It's got arms that cross, differently than most caliper brakes!
...I'll post my delerious blathering regarding it over in my brake thread...

Awful nice day here in Kalifornia... I should be out having fun riding! At 1800 it's 70%, sunny w/a few high cirrhus clouds, and 0 wind... and this build is for #2... won't be able to build one for myself until his is running well... Oh well.

Best
rc

Attachments