Why Chose A 212?

GoldenMotor.com

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
OK I hear you and I do think they are good engines! But how is it cheeper after adding into the equation for a clutch , CVT ,Qmatic , Jack shaft something or other?

Then of course optional an upgraded cam shaft connecting rod etc. How about these plastic cams that are out too?
Clutch? Depends on the engine. Clutch for mine is $20, a Max-Torque for a HF engine is around twice that. How much is a 3-shoe clutch for a Morini? :p As for HF motors, they are used on go-karts, so engines and gearboxes for them are much cheaper than most Morinis. Of course high-performance parts for the big 4-stroke industrial engines will skew dollars spent into the Morinis' favor. A top of the line AGK 4-stroke engine is upwards of $2K or more, but you do end up with 20+HP. If anything breaks a quick trip to Harbor Freight will get you going again tho.

Apples and oranges, both delicious :D

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
ok, ok... only 65. how is a cvt not multi speed? its freaking unlimited speed!
scotto has the only 200 cc bike running a CVT.
The other single speed 200 cc bikes riden by AGK, CCC, are just as fast as
scotto's CVT bike if not faster.
AGK tried a CVT but gave it up and went back to a single speed 200 cc
race bike in the 12 hp class.

Big Boy Cycles races a Chonda 112 cc semi auto motorcycle engine.
They had a 20+ hp Chonda but didn't bring it because it didn't fit in
to any of the classes.

No matter what motor or cc's it still has a hp limit.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Clutch? Depends on the engine. Clutch for mine is $20, a Max-Torque for a HF engine is around twice that. How much is a 3-shoe clutch for a Morini? :p As for HF motors, they are used on go-karts, so engines and gearboxes for them are much cheaper than most Morinis. Of course high-performance parts for the big 4-stroke industrial engines will skew dollars spent into the Morinis' favor. A top of the line AGK 4-stroke engine is upwards of $2K or more, but you do end up with 20+HP. If anything breaks a quick trip to Harbor Freight will get you going again tho.

Apples and oranges, both delicious :D
Once again it is not that simple these apple and oranges. lol. Just like a car audio amplifier you pay more money for every watt. Some of the cheaper clutches mentioned will not hold up and are entirely traditional to a lower H.P. set up.. In the end everybody has to pay the piper for a high power hotrod regardless there is no short cuts .wee.

A quick trip to H.F. for a crank and case to put those 20 H.P. worth $parts into if'n they are still good! lol

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I seam to recall a race where Easy Rider went neck and Neck with Scotto's 212 cc beast on his 50cc Morini. Placed ahead by a neck too.:p;)
Easy Riders water cooled Morini may be only 50 cc but it makes 11.4 hp stock.
scotto's 212 cc 4 stroke makes about the same hp so it's a pretty fair match.

A better rider will make a helluva lot more difference than a few hp especially
on highly technical tracks like Grange Motor Circuit.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Hmmm interesting... is the cvt really that inefficient? They were banned from some cart racing b/c they were sweeping the field and not everyone could afford one. Maybe my manually variable trany will work better. Forgot what thread I explained it in... basically it will use a constant tension pulley and I can use a belt tensioner to make the belt run higher/lower on the pulley, therefore changing drive ratio. Will act as a clutch too.
Back on topic... I think a 99 is as big an engine I will put in a bike frame for weight and size. The 212 is too bulky for my liking.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well I guess there is no rest for the wicked........go to sleep wannabe's You needs the rest......obviously! :D
I wanna be riding my 4 Morini motors:D

I got's respect for this preddy motor I have had them aprt and done some messaging...You cali folks have a good approach going on! Every one you folks keep raising the bar and making cleaner great looking envious rides too. I follow every
one of these projects. Got some good screen savors!

Heck my bike came out of cali!

I only get one day off a week. I can stay up late if I wanna:p

Hmmm interesting... is the cvt really that inefficient? They were banned from some cart racing b/c they were sweeping the field and not everyone could afford one. Maybe my manually variable trany will work better. Forgot what thread I explained it in... basically it will use a constant tension pulley and I can use a belt tensioner to make the belt run higher/lower on the pulley, therefore changing drive ratio. Will act as a clutch too.
Back on topic... I think a 99 is as big an engine I will put in a bike frame for weight and size. The 212 is too bulky for my liking.
I don't think the CVT's are inefficient. When set up right they are impressive as all get go! Some of them are problematic tho. The Comet set up has some quirks. Scotto's made his work! He took first place at the track with it.

I am beginning to see what is available at work.. been working on some of these http://www.kazumaracing.com/images/BY-GC150_buggy_wm.jpg

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00vMeEKZSPrQpn/Go-Kart-GK150EEC-.jpg

Then of course some of the street legal mopeds. CVT's are pretty awsome!

How much is a 3-shoe clutch for a Morini?
Yeah I will admit it is a little spendy. It was a little problematic a bit until I learned how to properly set it up for me too.;) So far it is lasting sweet! nice! now for me.. been forever now hardly shows any wear with ''every day riding'' It is what you make of all this stuff that really matters.. I do have to occasionally service it..

Last edited:

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yeah reeeely. Around here where I roll we don't consider it a big deal to beat a little motor, with a big motor lol. I guess you guys get your kicks differently out there.
I think you're really lost, this is the 4-stroke forum and has nothing to do with you little china girl lovers, go here: http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4

you'll be a little more at home......very little!

dnut

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
Edit: no Morini lapped a proper-running HF motor tho ;)
For the record:
The first race (Willow Springs) I forgot my sprockets and my clutch was engaging early so I never got on the pipe. And when my bike gets on the pipe...it goes. I'm going back to Willow Springs to redeem myself with the right gearing.
And for God's sake...I'm only running a 50cc single speed on a frame that's made for dirt riding.
Bottom line is Scotto's fast and Ice is fast and I'm just an overweight under dog trying to compete and have fun so quit rippin on my motor and bike because I won a few heats just never the big one.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
For the record:
The first race (Willow Springs) I forgot my sprockets and my clutch was engaging early so I never got on the pipe. And when my bike gets on the pipe...it goes. I'm going back to Willow Springs to redeem myself with the right gearing.
And for God's sake...I'm only running a 50cc single speed on a frame that's made for dirt riding.
Bottom line is Scotto's fast and Ice is fast and I'm just an overweight under dog trying to compete and have fun so quit rippin on my motor and bike because I won a few heats just never the big one.
Relax Ken :) It's all good.
Aleman was talking about Alex from Tucson on a 9 hp Morini getting
lapped by AGK on his 200 cc 18 hp Monsta bike in a 12 lap race at
willow Springs. He wasn't even there and wasn't talking about you. :)

I think you had already gone home before the race because Dean
wasn't feeling good.

Last edited:

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
So we all agree, china girls are best? :D
A Triumph the Insult Comic Dog reference comes to mind. Having had 5 chinagirls, I avoid em like Taco Bell anymore!

Yeah reeeely. Around here where I roll we don't consider it a big deal to beat a little motor, with a big motor lol. I guess you guys get your kicks differently out there.
Bairdco was speaking of a bike he raced against that used the same size motor, an HT66. Only Bairdco's bike itself was physically smaller.

For the record:
Aww chill out my Bay Area brother, I wasn't talking bout you! I have no doubts about the speed of you or anyone else's Morini.
It wasn't until AGK that the 4-strokes had a snowball's chance in an Arizona summer of competing in a race against 2-strokes! You guys needed competition! :D

Relax Ken :) It's all good.
Aleman was talking about Alex from Tucson on a 9 hp Morini getting
lapped by AGK on his 200 cc 18 hp Monsta bike in a 12 lap race at
willow Springs. He wasn't even there and wasn't talking about you.

I think you had already gone home before the race because Dean
wasn't feeling good.
Yeah and I thought it was actually a 79 that did it, as outlandish as that would be. You're on a roll correcting me :D