New and improved Choctaw

GoldenMotor.com

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Still in progress of course, but getting there. Still need a fender and leather toolbox I think. Rides good. Pics taken at sundown, Kingsbury, Tex is a great pic for late evening pics. This airplane is a Fokker DVII from WWI. We also have a Bleriot 1909, I want to get some pics in front of that bird as this bike really fits that era I think. Pics by another volunteer Mike McCormick.

Attachments

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
Beautiful bicycle and what more - nice pictures!

Maybe I could suggest:
1) round shapes of cylinder cap, so it will look more "veteran", like here:

2) Prolong muffler tube, so muffler not just hangs in front, but smooth hidden under frame. Maybe even take muffler from motorcycle, with a smooth ending, like this:

Original Chinese muffler is so far from optimal resonator, so every motorcycle muffler will not be much worse for engine, but could be better for lookout.

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Beautiful bicycle and what more - nice pictures!

Maybe I could suggest:
1) round shapes of cylinder cap, so it will look more "veteran", like here:

2) Prolong muffler tube, so muffler not just hangs in front, but smooth hidden under frame. Maybe even take muffler from motorcycle, with a smooth ending, like this:

Original Chinese muffler is so far from optimal resonator, so every motorcycle muffler will not be much worse for engine, but could be better for lookout.
As for one, I probably won't go that far at least or now.
As for two, definitely, I hate the current muffler and a long one is in the works but will probably be combined with one of those Sick bike type muffler/resonator to improve performance so this suggestion is very well taken.
I also want to add a bottom plate/plates to give the illusion of a larger vintage style engine and a leather tool box to go in the rear gap of the loop. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:

hoodoo

Dec 26, 2009
Buda, Texas
Great looking bike. The background for the photos looks great and really gives it the vintage feel.
I think the bikes can be enhanced greatly by setting. Setting tends to work like a silk screen, it smooths out the contours. My bike does not hold a candle to most of the bikes I have seen in straight up comparison, but add a little scenery and misdirection....it's all part of the challenge and the fun. These bikes have given me a whole new outlet or making new friends and just feeling like I am making something that others enjoy. I used to try to collect stuff, but building something unique is much more fun. It's almost Art.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Still in progress of course, but getting there. Still need a fender and leather toolbox I think. Rides good. Pics taken at sundown, Kingsbury, Tex is a great pic for late evening pics. This airplane is a Fokker DVII from WWI. We also have a Bleriot 1909, I want to get some pics in front of that bird as this bike really fits that era I think. Pics by another volunteer Mike McCormick.

Very nice bike hoodoo (^) I'm definitely inspired by your masterpiece to transform a late 60's lugged CCM frame and some other salvage yard treasure I have into something similar.

Being curious of how you fashioned your rear motor mount I download a couple of your photos so as to zoom in and have a closer look and I spotted at the main pivot of your springer fork something that may be nothing but nonetheless in the interest of your safety I'd thought I'd mention it. When I zoom in I see what looks like a small crease at the pivot and also it looks like the fork's pivot axle nuts are sunk in quite a bit. I use a similar imported springer fork on my Riff Raff bike and as they were out of the box they scared the baageesus out of me! I mean there is not much of anything in the way of meat at the pivot of these imported springers and I pictured me riding down the road and without warning finding myself flat on my face due to a fork failure. What I did for peace of mind was ream the original fork leg pivot holes out to 1\2" and then brazed in some brass bushings I machined up. Also I used a 3\8th's inch axle from a junked front wheel for the fork's pivot axle.

Here's a link to a picture I posted last year of the fork legs with the bushings installed.

Springer fork bushings.

Last edited: