Transplanted engine kit to cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
This engine kit was first mounted on my Univega mountain bike for commuting. It is a bit too tall for me, making it uncomfortable when stopped at traffic lights.
After a couple of years, the kit has been transplanted to my 1976 Western Flyer, made by Murray.
I added a springer fork and front drum brake wheel from an industrial trike.
I remounted the seat very low for comfort at the stop lights. I bobbed the fenders and added a rear caliper brake on the chain stays so that I don’t have to use a coaster brake. Bullet head and tail lights have been converted to battery powered LEDs.
The rear caliper brake idea was borrowed from a post with a muscle bike in the Ratrod subforum. If I find that post, I will give him the credit due.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Fop-i lowered the post as far as possible. The front of the seat basically sat atop the seat post (so the seat was farther to the rear of the bike than normal). I took a bracket from an old suspension razor scooter and attached is to the rear of the seat with a conventional seat clamp. The rear seat bracket was anchored to the frame with some U-bolts. It looked good but gave constant problems (coming loose).
I have since reattached the seat and added a seat shock. See link. The seat is a bit higher now but stays attached far better.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=36381

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Bought that old 6V tail light at a swap. It has a bolt sticking out of the side of it and I put it through a hole on the dropout. No bracket was required.
A bracket can be made from a simple L bracket from the hardware store.