What a great forum

GoldenMotor.com

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Hey everyone, Noob here. Yep another "Buckeye" from O-hi-O ! I'm down here around the Gallipolis area with "Mothman" and I call myself an "Appalachian American".

What brings me here is I'm finally going to try to set an old Tas QBM-23N I've had laying around in the box on a bike I fixed up like a Schwinn Suburban.

When I purchased the motor the fellow had removed it from his kid bike realizing he just wasn't safe on it and thought he'd act fast before real trouble
broke out. What I got was the motor unit. The small bracket that goes on the base of the right fork is missing, the muffler, the throttle/killswitch, and the inside securing brackets to bolt the engine fast to the fork tubes. I figure I can fabricate some of the stuff myself. I've had the motor awhile but the Info Superhighway was still a two lane dirt road back when I got the little Tas. Recently.....ya know it.....$4.00+ gas got me thinking about the project again. It could be a shot at doing alot of my local errands at 200+ mpg.

I found the "Acrobat" parts list download and images today on the Tanaka site. In the past I couldn't find much info on it but gas was like a dollar a gallon back then.

What I'd like to find is the point's and plug gap's & Carb needle settings and what other info applies. This motor is probably not even broken in yet. I figure from the way the guy I purchased it from talked, he made his kid think someone stold the motor rather than telling him he just wasn't ready for it. All he told me was his kid wasn't old enough and soon lost interest in it to baseball. But I figured he was on the level cause he owned the bicycle shop where I purchased it.

So, that's about me and my motorizedbike project.

Would love to hear from any other Tas QBM-23N owners, past owners, and those with any experience with one.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome eDJ to the forum, Glad you joined us :D
I don't have any experience with the Tas...:( There are few here who have, hopefully they will drop a line in here.
:ride2:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Thanks guys, I was just out in the garage while ago studying those photos I pulled off the net. It came to me that that TAS looks almost like a white handle bar basket. So I started thinking....ya know maybe I could disguise it to look like a handle bar basket with one of those white woven plastic baskets ya see on little girls bikes ? Possibly put some things in it to make it look like a basket full of groceries etc ? With a well thought out muffler....I was thinking of mounting an umbrella on the right side on the fork with the muffler at the bottom lookin like it's the support for the end of the umbrella. The TAS runs at 50:1 anyhow so I don't think it would be too smokey ? Hmmmm

You'd thinks cops would have better things to be suspicious of than some poor guy trying not to have to pour his paycheck in the gas tank each week.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome from another Ahi-oan.

I had a TAS Spitz. First, you will likely not need to adjust the carb.

Points- .015-.020.
Plug- .025- .030.

The throttle can be made with a shift lever. The secondary muffler, (the one that mounts on the fork leg) can be done away with...doesn't help much except to direct exhaust down away from the rider. You could add a piece of silicone tubing from a hobby shop to do that.
The drive wheel will not last too long- maybe 1000 miles if you are lucky. Replace it with a similar sized skateboard wheel.

Last edited:

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum. Bikeguyjoe is the tas go to guy. Lots of motorized bicycle enthusiasts here. Glad you joined.......................

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Thanks for all the comeback's on this project of mine. I've made my inside bracket clamps so I think I can make the motor hold firm now. I have a kill switch to ground the ignition and cut the motor off. Found an old shift lever with which to throttle the engine in my box of old parts.. I have about 6 bicycles now and this Subarban "knock-off" I built was a $5 dollar yard sale orphan which I tore down and re-build. Thus it's like new now. Where it started as a 10 speed Ross EuroSport 10, it's now with upright handlebars,
a "tractor seat", and chrome fenders, and new tires and innertubes.

I've been studying the Ohio codes regardings mopeds and bicycles equipped
with helper motors. So, I'm trying to find a turn signal brake light system or design and build one now.

What I'd most like to find is that "sub-muffler stay" which the motor adjustment rod connects to. It's Part #23 below:

Even if someone had that part and could temporarily remove it from the bike and trace it onto a post card and mail it to me I'd really apprecialte it. I'd buy the part if anyone had one to sell or could tell me where I could mail order it.

I figure I can adapt a lawnmower muffler to use as a sub muffler if it's necessary to keep the Ohio's State Patrol happy or get an inspection from the BMV to carry.

When I get time to get this project up and running I'll try to post some pictures.

Anyone who could assist my effort....feel free to IM me.

Thanks !

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I can help you some....I hope.

That part can be made easily.

If you have the motor adjustment bar, that piece you seek can be made from some flat stock from tractor supply or Lowe's. The measurement from the axel hole to the 90 degree bend is 4" and the 90 degree bend is 1" wide with the hole in the center.

If you make it 2 1/4" longer passed the axel hole, you could then rivet or bolt another piece of flat to it with two holes drilled to accept the after muffler studs.

I don't think you'll need it to pass any inspections...as I said mine and the other here don't make any real difference in the sound, just where the exhaust goes. You could just zip tie the extra exhaust tube to the fork leg.

Let me know if that helps.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hey! We just got 20" of snow here overnight. I had to run the snowblower for two hours just to get out of the driveway.

Big D- If you get a bicycle motor kit and put it on a bike, your depression will subside and all things flowery and happy will come your way.

Not realy, but do it now, I command you!

usertroff

Dec 30, 2008
Bangladesh
Hows it goin*all yall!

Hows everyone doin Just came by to say whats up Im glad I found a cool forum that doesnt have constant flame wars lol. Besides hangin out here what does everyone do for fun and to pass by some time?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How's it going?

Everyone here has varied and wide reaching interests.

How about you? Any motorized bikes in your future?

oldcliff

Feb 9, 2009
Wilmington Ohio
Hey eDJ, I live in the southwest part of the buckeye state. Love to take motorcycle rides in your neck of the woods. I was raised in Lancaster not to far from the mothman city. I just joined the forum last week and have already got a boatload of info. Have you solved the lever problem yet?

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Hey oldcliff,

Yeah, I'm working on a new drive wheel mod made from a skateboard wheel now. I may get
a bit more top end out of it when the season comes. I'm up an running now.

Time was in Ohio the state produced a "Blue Highways" motorcycle roads magazine about the
size of a comic book with maps of the state's best scenic secondary roads for bikers to ride.
The one closest to me is the road between Zanesville to Marietta along the Muskingum River.
In the summer it's one beautiful place thru there. (Google, Ohio's Muskingum River, and look at Wikipedia review of it) In Marietta there is the Ohio River Museum if you take that ride from
Zanesville to Marietta. You can take the tour of the W. P. Schnider which is a sternwheeler
that they give tours thru. Another sternwheeler there is the Becky Thatcher which is now a
theater boat. (I think Becky Thatcher was the girl Tom Sawyer and Huck Finn were sweet on
in Twains stories)

I don't think Ohio offers that publication any more and mine is packed away somewhere. I got it when
I was first riding as a teen. Ohio had this "Dial 1 800 Buckeye" campaign to promote tourism
back in those days. Folks used to just take that Bikers Blue Highways magazines and go for
Sunday drives in the car to see the lovely scenery. (blue highways, if you don't know, are the
secondary roads on a map)

I'm glad you came aboard here. This is one of the best places on the net. It could sure set
the bar for the rest IMO. :)

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I have a "bike bug" out in the shed, not sure if it's the same as your but it looks close .
If you want I could have a look and trace it for you in the morning. If all it does is hold that tin can called a muffler, I may even give it to you. At most, if I ever use the thing, it will be for the motor.
I could take a pic, I'll get my coat on and do it now.
I Have the pics but I won't bother because it is just like yours for sure. It is just stamped steel with a dished curve running down the centre, giving it strength.
You want it?

Last edited:

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
My outfit was sold by Sears as a "Free Spirit".

I didn't get it as a complete outfit but with the help I got here
have made most all of the missing parts. My present muffler is a lawn mower
muffler screwed into a brass 90 which is threaded to match the muffler
on one side and a 1/2" copper tube sweat solders into the other. (these
are used around washing machines for the bibs the rubber hoses connect
to) the copper tube runs up to the flex tubing off the exhaust. I found
a large 5 x 5" Stanley 90 degree bracket for reinforcing corners like of
screen doors that I drilled and bent for the muffler and tension adjustment
rod. I was able to get the whole thing running OK but here in Ohio 20
mph is all you're allowed with a motorized bike. I've thought of purchasing
another free spirit outfit, or aquabug/bikebug if I found one in fair condition.
Some of the bikes I would like to build would lend themself better to a front
friction drive for me.

At this time a "cargo bike" and a "vintage replica motorbike" are my objectives.
On the vintage, I'll use a Chinese motor kit.

Let me know what you're wanting to do with that Bike bug. OK

Attachments

Reactions: Sidewinder Jerry

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Since I've never posted photos of my Sears Free Spirit fricton drive motor and the bike
I've been using as a test platform for it I'll bump this old intro thread of mine to place
the photos here. Bear in mind that this is a 1 hp, 22cc, 30X30 b/s, 7.2:1 comp, 0.10 Kg-M
torque @ 5500 rpm motor which delivers 160 mpg/us gallon 2 cycle that runs 25:1 ratio.

The bike is an old Ross 10 speed 27" wheel that I picked up in a yard sale for $5 bucks and
invested $50 or so in to convert it to a 5 speed upright similar to a cruiser. I didn't go thru
with painting it in the resoration and I have a 26" Schwinn Girls bike which looks just like it
so if I have a date or girlfriend who wants to go riding then we're matched and she won't
feel like she's riding the second rate junker. (little social things status things like this
rate plesantly with the gurlz) When you look at them the only difference is the fact that one is
a mens Ross and the other a womans Schwinn but otherwise they are the same.

In these photo's you'll see the white plastic hood isn't installed over the motor for the sake of
those who are curious about one of these "Free Spirit's", BikeBug, AquaBug, or otherwise Tanaka
front wheel drive motors. I figure there may be a half dozen of us here who have had or presently own one of these. They are a straight foreward bolt on, adjust, and ride outfit. I personally consider it to be the "Rubik's Cube" of bicycle motors as it's built in layers or steps if you will,
and to tune it up and adjust the timing you have to completely dismantle it. Once the tuning
is perfect, then you put the thing together again making sure each step is perfect (otherwise if
you miss something you gotta go back and dismantle it again) Everything has to be right when
it goes back together so that when you start it the only adjustments left are the throttle/idle etc.

I don't get much speed out of this motor and would be lucky to hit 18 mph which is OK as
here in Ohio 20 mph is the legal limit. (but I've crafted a skateboard wheel which is larger
diameter to work in place of the original friction drive wheel and may be able to tweek 24+mph
out of it yet) The little motor isn't much more than a string trimmer motor but it is a quality
piece of work from Japan from the 1980's.

I know Toytime, DOC BLOM, and Bikeguy Joe are famaliar with them and probably some others
here too.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
eDJ,
Cool...Now when are you going to build an in-frame and a rack mount? Good to see pictures of your ride. Thanks for sharing. Nice looking machine.
Tom

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
2door,

I would like to try to build that bicycle-pickup or cargo bike and use the Tanaka on it.

The inframe I have in mind will be a replica of a 1912 Norton I have a photo of. I'll have to stretch the frame and figure how to place the engine. I spend free time now shopping eBay for old springer front forks, old fenders, carbide carriage lights, and all the eye candy necessary to build a vintage replica out of.

Lately the last thing I got a wild hair to do was build that pusher trailer that would look like a tear drop trailer with a tent canvas top over the wagon. I already have a motor for that build. Just gotta get over to the scrap yard to see what's available in 1" square tubing and 3/4" rod
stock. I'd use the bike in the pictures above with the trailer. (can't legally use it here in Ohio though) Still I've been working with the calculator that Fair posted to find ratios and mph/rpm forecast. Looks like a 11 tooth centrifugal clutch and a minimum 80 tooth (8") gear for the drive shaft. (but 100+ would be better) The sprockets on the end of the drive and the wheels will be a 1:1. So, I'll have to go junkin on the scrap yard and see if I can find some old offroad go cart I could find that on. But I like rattin thru junk yards.

Obviously, I do alot of research before I go to the shop and bench. :) Ya know...."measure twice cut once".

Attachments

Last edited: