whazzup?

GoldenMotor.com

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Hey, I have been lurking for a while gleaning information for my first build. It is finally up and running pretty well.
I have a crappy "80 cc" chinese kit, so far I have put about 20 miles on it, and it is working pretty well for the price.

I have hose between the engine and the frame. Really helps vibrations. I also have an old derailleur gear instead of the crappy plastic chain tensioner thing.

forum thinks I'm a spammer, and won't let me post pics yet.... pics to come :D

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I just finished up re-sealing the carb and intake because the cheap crappy seals already started leaking. I have put, maybe 30 or 40 miles on it... I need to get some exhaust gasket next.
I also stuck a thin piece of cardboard on the inside of the clutch cover, and that greatly dampened the gear noise. I almost don't hear it at all anymore, just sound of the engine :)
WOOHOO, the forum accepts me as a legitimate person! Here is my ride.

Oh, one small question. I have gas at the end of my exhaust, but I'm running on the 2nd pin from the top (needle in carb), is it safe to go to the leanest setting? Or is there something else? ORRR, is it perfectly normal, and nothing to worry about. Running a bit to rich won't hurt anything but power and efficiency.

Anyway, it is a pretty fun little ride to drive around on a nice day. Much more efficient than my car, and much more fun. I plan on doing something in the (near?) future about gearing. Only having one gear is annoying. Either CVT, the kit to go through the bike's existing gears, or something else? I'll see.

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Nice bike. Welcome to the forum! These things are addictive. Lots of great people here and good advice. Glad ya joined us! Watch your plug color go for a chocolate brown. Sick Bike Parts has a jack shaft you might be interested in.

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
Nice bike. Welcome to the forum! These things are addictive. Lots of great people here and good advice. Glad ya joined us! Watch your plug color go for a chocolate brown. Sick Bike Parts has a jack shaft you might be interested in.
Yea, I saw that kit. Wicked expensive though. :/
I might get it anyway... I have caught the bug lol

I'm impressed with the HT kit in comparison to the price. If I had paid more than $120 I'd be pissed, but since I know what I'm doing, I feel like I got a deal :D
I have a lot of experience with 2 stroke outboards... to much ... haha.

Out of curiosity, anybody running a torque converter? Seems like the easiest way to be able to take off from a stop, ride on trails, but still be able to go 30+ with a 26T to 30T rear gear.