Engine top end rebuild and an engine stand

GoldenMotor.com

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
great job Norm! This has a wealth of information that I can use to better my kit and make sure it doesn't fly apart when I'm traveling at speed. I'm bookmarking this one!

Hiigel

Oct 23, 2010
Eastern Oregon
I am interested in clutch replacment too; mine now has over 2500 miles, but still seems ok, but I know the day will come. Are the pads just sitting in the gear ring?? Do you replace just the pads, or the entire gear?? Is there a special trick to installing the Woodruff key on the small drive gear??

Seems you know much about these engines!

Gary

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
What are you referring to when you say taller crank ? what brand of motor do you have ?who did you purchase it from ?it would be highly beneficial if you give us more information.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Your post inspired me to build a test stand of my own Norman.
Thanks for the great clear info!

Bohemian_Lady

Feb 7, 2013
Hawaii
I just wonder how much oil goes into the motor while re building... How much is too much? Is this a "dollop will do you" kind of situation or do I pour in a bunch and pour out the excess?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
I'd guess builders all have diff standards for this - I like to oil all bearings with a few drops and wipe cylinder wall with an oil-wet finger - not sure what if any diff it makes other than to make me feel comfortable with it.

Thinking lately about hard first starts makes me wonder if porous cases are stealing quite a bit of fuel at first until they are well soaked enough to start more easily - I might start oiling the inside walls a bit on new motors.