Dax KTM Clone

GoldenMotor.com

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
I am looking into another 2 stroke build. The KTM Clones and Morini's have always intrigued me. I know they are not a simple bolt on and require fabrication, but that is not an issue for me.

My question is for those that have experience with them...does the clutch need upgrading to say a Tomar? Do I go with a factory expansion chamber or make my own to fit out of a KX65 or something similar? I have cut up and welded a KX65 before.

Does the engine need to be mounted offset a bit or can it be mounted center? I believe I have read somewhere on here that a bit of offset is required for pedal clearance, but that is not an issue for me. I believe Sportsman flyers wide pedal crank should clear.

What size rear sprocket do you guys run? What is a good all around sprocket?

I guess in a nutshell what I am wanting is just to hear from you guys on what has worked, what hasn't, and any tips or heads up.

Thanks guys!!

Mike

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Mike,
I'd suggest you give Duane, Dax, a call. He's usually pretty good about answering questions and he's done quite a few KTM installs on various frames.
Try him. 303-459-2780.

Tom

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Yes to the Tomar clutch.

I wasted hours on the OEM clutch. Re-machined all of the crappy cast spring pockets. Bought high quality belville disc springs. Measured, swapped, tinkered...

And went through 2 quarts of oil. Every time you need to diddle the clutch, the cover comes off, and the clutch oil drips everywhere. Use the puller.Remove the clutch. Swap springs. Clean everything up. Reassemble & add fresh oil.

Once I installed the Tomar, I realized I never really nailed the spring pack they way I thought it should be.

I had the best results using Castrol Transmax ATF for Honda in the clutch case.

Gearing will depend on what expansion chamber you are running, and where you want the power band to hit.

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Keep in mind a Senior Adventure was geared 11-48 with a 16" OD tire. That would mean 11-80 with a 26" tire. I was using a jackshaft.

The expansion chamber on Dax's front page tends to be peaky & loud. A KX65 or YZ80 chamber with a long primary will be quieter with a little more bottom end.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Here's an idea for ya... Not sure if you want offroad capability or not, but you can freeze frema the vid and get an idea how things are mounted as well as the sprocket size. I found another one a while back that had his set up as a shifter by using a jackshaft setup similar to the SBP setup... I'll post that one if I can find it... both bikes rip very nicely... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NSmWvGUtTQ

Quick update, but from what I was reading today at work, it's the 56 tooth rear sprocket that these bikes use for good "all around" performance.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Mike

The only shifter KTM clone I have seen in person is Wild Bill's bike.

I know he put some easy road miles on it, might want to talk to him. Here is his build thread:

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=46976&highlight=wild+bill+shifter

He did break some parts at the races, but lots of things get broken at the grange. It does sound funny to hear it shifting down the straight - you keep looking for a motorcycle in with the bikes.

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Thanks for the info guys! How difficult is the Tomar clutch to install? Does it require any fabrication? I have no experience with these motors other than what I have read on the forum here...

runnermike

Nov 18, 2012
Sanford, FL
Jeff

That build is a thing of beauty! A little above my means at the moment. So, I think I will probably stick with the one from Thatsdax. Motor mounts will be easy to fabricate. Will go with a DAM Good Engineering rear hub and trying to get the rest of the parts list together.

I did get a new chain for the 4 stroke and have been riding her to work!!!