Good Motorized bike chains?

GoldenMotor.com

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
my #415 bike chain keeps getting stuck in my drive sprocket.. Do any one use or know any better chain you can use & have less chain problems then the 415 chain?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
it will fit better after it has stretched a bit (about 10 - 20 miles), but it will fit right away if you just file or grind the edges of the flat tops of the sprocket to go more easily past the rollers of the links

some chains have fatter rollers than others, some sprockets have wider flats at the tops of the teeth - best to adjust sprocket to fit

just had one this week breaking chains & turned out to be that kid has stripped the nut holding the drive sprocket - it wobbled side to side under load - new nut holds it well, but was prepared to replace whole shaft if needed

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
#41 industrial chain is far superior to the kit #415. However if your chain/sprocket alignment is off or your chain tension wrong you'll have the same problems with any chain.
Proper lubrication is also important. A dry or rusty chain will not run smooth over the sprocket teeth. One problem with some kit chains is they come from the factory with tight or binding rollers and side plates and/or they have a built in twist to them. Either problem can cause the trouble you're having.

Check Ace Hardware, Grainger, Tractor Supply for #41 chain and master links.
Good luck.

Tom

Gideon_459

Jun 2, 2014
Texas
I've been using #41 chain from tractor supply with great success. Very little stretch and noticeably harder than the kit chain based on my experience shortening both.

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
biggest diff is that 415 is 3/16in wide, while 41 is 1/4in wide - I like the 415 as it gives a bit more room for rear teeth to find the gap when the rear sprocket gets a little wobble in it

note: chain is measured in 8ths of an inch 415 is 4/8 or 1/2 inch by 1.5 8ths or 3/16 inch

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm always touting the 415 Industrial/Trike chain-
it's the same 415 size-width and length- except the plates aren't as tall
It weighs almost HALF as much as a standard kit chain and it rolls much easier
It really gives a better pedal, and runs much quieter.
Mostly for street use though- not for thrashing.

and it's usually only about $10 delivered

Perhaps your chain has a stiff link- did you use a master link, or join it with a chain tool?

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
Si did use the #41 chain before & its easier to free it from jammed from the drive sprocket if you push force forward. but #415 you can free it unless you unscrew the cover & pry it free.