Added good springs to my saddle.

GoldenMotor.com

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
This could be useful for anyone who wants to soften the ride.

I got a set of 'porch swing' springs from one of those warehouse style home improvement stores. About 8 1/2 bucks. They come with a set of 'drawbar' springs inside. But those are easily removed.

A few carriage bolts, some fender washers and nuts will run a few dollars more. All told, the thing can be built for about 10 bucks.

Sprung seat 01.jpg

Sprung seat 02.jpg

Sprung seat 03.jpg

I got it finished this morning and my test rides, so far, have only amounted to a couple of miles. Still, it feels like it's probably trustworthy. And it's definitely softer. Not as soft as, say, a motorcycle with true rear suspension. But it feels as if I'll be delivering fewer shocks to my rear axle, the chainstays and my lower back.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Great idea Bluegoat. I also used springs like that to repair an old set of air suspension forks. They would not hold air. I could not get the lowers off to add internal elastomers.
-I removed the entire fork leg from the crown, slipped the swing springs over the fork leg for an external spring and reinstalled the fork leg. It works much better now.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Nice job BGW, I have had plans to make a suspension seat for about 4 yeara now but haven't got around to doing it, my plan is to use a suspension shock/spring from a mountain bike, if done with the leverage right I think it will make a good set up, Ill bet what you have there ridea nice.... I need one myself because I ride on rough dirt roada a lot and my bikea and butt take a beating when the roada are rutted up.

Map
.wee.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I also considered using the shock from a full suspension mountain bike. Either Wheelbender or Xseler (I can't remember which right now) has built one that way. And I liked the look of it.

But I think I've found an advantage over that design; my only mount point is the seat post itself. There's no need to mount to the frame below. This'll make seat height adjustment, or swapping seats for that matter, a lot simpler.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You're telling you age, Bob. When seat springs become important that's a sign that comfort rates higher than performance.
Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
You're telling you age, Bob. When seat springs become important.....

Tom
You betcha! I can remember thirty years ago or so when I was a real purist on saddles. It had to be the narrowest I could find with no padding. I didn't want a wide seat 'interfering' with my hip movement and I didn't want padding absorbing my effort. And, for that matter, I could get used to any seat.

Now I can get used to a lot of seats. But not all. And as far as wider seats interfering with movement? Ha! Let it interfere. I gotta be comfortable.

Something else has happened, too, in the half-decade or so since I passed 50 yrs old. I notice that my average speed, pedaling a regular bicycle, is getting low. And some of the really bad hills, the ones that non-bicyclists don't ride on at all, used to leave me breathing pretty hard. Now they're leaving me gasping so badly that I grow a bit alarmed.

It could be that my serious bicyclist days are numbered. What a shame.

But thank goodness I found motorized bikes before it was too late, huh?

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
In addition......

I actually had this in mind from the start.

But I test rode first. That's when those first pics were taken.

But I think this is important, too.

Sprung seat 04.jpg

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
That's the first ''long travel'' suspended seat I have ever seen.
I'm finding myself in the same boat as far as my ''hardcore'' biking style lately....
Things like soft comfy seats and cushy tires are now no longer for ''posers'' if it makes me hurt less.