the tale of the mythical grubee 4 stroke 12 volt system

GoldenMotor.com

Sinistar

Dec 18, 2011
Memphis TN
Right on chainmaker, I talked with them on the phone about the way I'm running a motorized kit on a bike. I told them that the bike's top speed is between 25-30 mph. The hubs available in 32-36 spoke patterns iso 6 bolt disc or shimano center lock disc that produce a 6volt system, if any of there hubs would withstand the constant 25-30mph without burning out the bulb or plainly be able to withstand that kinda abuse. On their web page within the SUN hub section there is a spot talking about a 12 volt system I was asking about that 12 volt system the answer I was getting was along the lines of a electric bike or a electric based moped. I was waiting for them to give me a call back with a better answer if their hubs would work and which one they have several I like their selection. The only thing I wish is that it will only require a front hub and not a rear hub to get the 12v system going because I'm using a H.D. freewheel hub for the rear.

Ultimate type rear hub: Dynamo, Disc, Freewheel, sealed bearings, has peddel freewheel threading.

My hopes are that just a front SUN hub will work. Theres too much to read through on their site when you could call and just get an answer Imo.

Cheers

propellerhead

Oct 27, 2012
Australia
G'day All,

I've been quietly doing my homework on all this stuff recently in preparation for my first build. I wanna be sure I cover off all the specs I need to fulfill before I start spending my hard-earned. I have some particular requirements in mind, and won't be mucking around - this will be quite a piece of work. My bike will be my primary mode of transport, and I intend touring extensively. I need reliability, and I don't wanna give the wallopers any excuses to pull me over. Anyway, I digress....

wrt electrics, I was looking at VW Generators (as opposed to Alternators) only last night. Generators output DC Voltage (either 6V or 12V are available), and therefore require a regulator only. Alternators output AC Voltage, and require a Rectifier and a Regulator.

I'll need to check back for specific references now, but what I read was that the 12V Generators used on late 60s to early 70s VWs produced 360W from about 1450-2000rpm. (The Regulator caps the output at approx 14.4V at higher engine revs). These units are 4.5" dia, and 5.5" in length. I saw fully refurbed units for sale for about USD40.00.

Kinda "thinking out loud"; I'm considering slinging one of these on my bike and slaving it off an extra sprocket on the jackshaft.... Electrical power to burn - literally ; )

Propellerhead

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
There are proven choices out there for lighting systems that are reliable and made by reputable companies that run off a SA DYMO hub.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
I've rebuilt those VW generators many times, and I wouldn't want to put one on my bike! Old tech, too bulky and heavy, would eat up significant engine power.

There are smaller, much more efficient mini generator systems out there. Like chainmaker said even hub dynamos can handle lighting and with a few parts, a battery.