After a Bunch of Fails, went all in on a Corvette, now Im having second thoughts??

GoldenMotor.com

RoadPocalypse

Apr 26, 2011
Frozen Tundra
Progress on the 58 Vette

So long story short. This is going to be my 3rd motorbike.

1st Fail was a Micargi Stretch, frame broke 3 different times. Parts Bike now

2nd Fail was a Chinese Cruiser w/PK80. Rims went to crap fast, coaster brake went kaput, fenders all broken now. Parts bike #2.

3rd Attempt: Picked up a 1955 Schwinn Corvette frame. Bead Blasted, painted. Shopped for parts and it was fast becoming a money pit. Spare Frame Bike now.

Last Attempt and Final hopefully. I picked up this 1958 Schwinn Corvette originally for my father so he could get out and exercise. Pops didnt want it, so I decide its time to motorize it since it is all there.

Bike has everything, nothings missing and the bike itself was pretty flawless. A perfect start I thought. So I was going to use the S7 rims only to find out, No adapter will fit this thing and went ahead and ordered a Works-man Rear rim. MM engine mounts are next to be ordered.

Here is where I am stuck. Decided to "clean it up" new decals and just make it look nice again. Problem is, it turned out so nice now, im actually second guessing putting an engine on it. Take a look, tell me your thoughts.

I bead blasted the bike, sanded it smooth, Used a good etch from Dupont then PPG Base Black Met, and PPG Clear DAU. Awesome automotive paint.

Decals are next as i just picked up the Micro Set and Micro Sol for it today. Then ..who knows.

Thoughts please?

here she is as brought home.

Dis assembly pretty clean so far.

All bead blasted, cleaned, sanded and repainted. I didnt like the original Red Met color so I went with black since I figured it was going to be a daily rider.
Paint looks as if it was just dipped in a bucket of paint, its sexy smooth to the point it looks like it has a coat of glossy plastic on it. You can almost see the metallic come thru in the last pic, i didnt want to get too 70s with the metallic so its very low key.

Last edited:

UriDead

Nov 21, 2011
Madison, IN.
Re: After a Bunch of Fails, went all in on a Corvette, now Im having second thoughts?

Those are excellent bikes... already no longer original or stock so... get that motor on there....

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Re: After a Bunch of Fails, went all in on a Corvette, now Im having second thoughts?

I like the corvette frames, long and low is the way to go. Paint looks good, keep the pictures coming.

leadfarmer

Sep 30, 2011
VA

The next step would be

Get That Motor On There

kevyleven007

Sep 25, 2008
texas

well,you can either display it in the window or you can put a motor on it and ride.your call.mbv.

magrider

Aug 24, 2010
OrangeCounty, CA

that frame looks great. my favorite non engine bike that I own is my 58' Schwinn Corvette, it was given to me and it had all the original parts, but I wanted more of a beach cruiser style so i changed the bars and seat. My first build I was going to use this bike, but i couldn't bring myself to do it, I'm kind of glad because now I can put my 3 year old in the front basket and go for rides around town. Out of all the bikes I own it is the smoothest, I think due to the S7 wheels being larger than the 26".

one question that I have is why can't you use a sprocket adapter for your rear wheel? Manic mechanic makes custom adapters for whatever size hub you have.

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa

dont hesitate get that motor in there .

RoadPocalypse

Apr 26, 2011
Frozen Tundra

Havent had a chance to work on her yet. Holiday season has kept me exceptionally busy. The next step is to apply the decals, the Worksman rear wheel should be here next week im told. Then a MM Rear adapter and im half way there.

The S7 rear hub is 2.3" if im not mistaken. Cant recall off the top of my head, but at any rate, MM says that was just too big to make an adapter for according to their website. Was really hoping to get the Engine Mounts as well from Manic Mechanic, but was told by BerryBike, seems production from MM has slowed way down and parts are now hard to come by.

Will keep everything updated as I make progress.

RoadPocalypse

Apr 26, 2011
Frozen Tundra

Ok progress has been slow, but I have finished the Decals and the Rear Wheel has arrived.

The entire Decal process was a lot to learn, but the results were surprisingly good. I had a small issue with the Fork darts sadly. Contrary to popular belief, putting decals on is not the same as putting them on models like when I was a kid.

The rear wheel is from Works-man, 11G SS. What a beast it is, but the rear axle seems almost too tight. The rear hub adapter is from Sportsman and is top notch worth every cent workmanship.

I tried MM, but never got any reply at all. Then I stumbled on Sportsman. Have not regretting it since and am glad to have found it.

Next step is polishing the bearing races, some SS nuts and bolts, and tires n tubes.

If I wasn't married and didn't have to work, progress would be soooo much faster, or so i would like to claim lol

The Frame:

Here's the top tubes drying:

Chain guard in all her glory

The fork, you can see the mistake if u look closely

And finally my Rear Works-man Wheel ready for duty

RoadPocalypse

Apr 26, 2011
Frozen Tundra

Heres where I am as of today. Front rim still has not come in yet. So the original S7 is on there for now. Have a rear rack coming which will be where the gas tank and milk crate sit.

Shes looking real nice so far but progress is so slow its painful. I am going to be making some motor mounts with the help of a friend and his Mill.

The rear adapter is a Sportsmans, is this the correct fit? That small gap makes the adapter sort of wobble, instead of being perfectly co-centric (hope I spelled that right).

Also the custom headbadge, inspired by my youngest and his favorite movie.

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

Tighten the bolts evenly until the gaps are the same. It will run perfectly true, assuming the hub you are putting it on is. This is the one part of my last build that has been a totally install and forget. My build is probably working it harder that it was designed to be used yet it works with out issue.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Wow! Purty work Road!

Looks like you just walked it out of the store in 1956.