Need advice on engine to buy

GoldenMotor.com

oneninesixnine

Oct 5, 2011
Hemet, CA 92544
Which is beter, more cc's or more horse power in reliability, top speed, torque and so on?
Which is better, 2 stroke or 4 stroke in reliability, top speed, torque and so on?
If money were no object, what is the best Morini 2 stroke engine kit?
If money were no object, what is the best Morini 4 stroke engine kit?
If I were to get a Chinese built, what would be the best?
For me, the motorized bicycle is my only transportation besides the bus. I need something reliable with a good balance of combined speed and torque. Thanks in advance for your input.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
The chinese kits are considered a crapshoot. To avoid wrecking a new engine because of poor construction, don't slap the engine on right out of the kit and instead do a thorough teardown to inspect and do cleanup and porting.

The kit I got was from Raw Motors. This thing has dealt with so much abuse through experimenting, solder flux in the fuel, ethanol, etc, and it's still running awesome. It's a great engine.

Then there are Grubees, which a lot of people seem to be happy with, but I haven't had any experience with them. The one thing that would make me steer away from the Grubees would be the new CNS carburetor that comes with them. It seems like a lot of people have issues with them. I know that you can make it run well, but I shouldn't have to bust up epoxy glue just to be able to tune it(since the EPA makes them glue the controls shut). I know it's basic, but I love my NT carb.

Jet(brand name) engines are reported to be very good, but I don't know of any one place you can get them.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
All the engines work well. If it is your first build, I would probably do either a frame mounted 2 stroke China motor or rack mounted, friction drive four stroke. It's personal preference.

oneninesixnine

Oct 5, 2011
Hemet, CA 92544
I think I like the Rock Solid 70cc HP Stage 2 Engine Kit. It costs a lot more and has to be sent from Australia but, seems to be well worth it. Your thoughts?

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
I don't like friction mounts because they chew through your rear tire. Mine is a 66cc Chinese motor, and it starts every time. I only use it to play around the neighborhood, but still, it is very dependable.

The reason you didn't get a million immediate responds To your question is that every week, 2 new guys join the forum, and their first post isn't an introduction (like it's supposed to be), they just jump on the general discussion forum and start asking the same exact question very single week.

What's the best engine?
What's better, 49cc or 66 cc?
What's the difference between 66cc and 80cc?
Where is the best place to buy?

And the list of same old questions go on. Then they demand we answer them promptly, "wow, five days, a million views and only one reply? Thanks guys!!!)

If you would do about 15 minutes worth of research, you will see that a million people already asked the same exact questions you have asked. And you can probably get the answers from their posts.

And you will get a million different responds, too. Everyone will tell you that that is better, or this is better. Buy this engine, don't buy this..

I think we can all agree, though, is don't buy from Gasbikes.net or their associates unless you like getting ripped off. The negative feedback to positive feedback ration is something like 15-4. So, buy at your own risk.

I have a 66cc mounted in my frame (traditionally) and I love it. It's fun, and I have no problems with it, other then vibration. It has gone about 30MPh, but vibrated my rectum so bad I had to stop and have a rest before I turned around to go back. My buddy has a side mounted engine that has vibration only during idle, but is smooth at higher rpm. Mine is the opposite.
Either way, the fun isn't in riding it alone. It's also in building it. I had so much fun building my bike, it makes it much better riding it, because of the pride I feel of knowing I personally built that from scratch. I would have paid double the cash, and had half the fun if I got that bike pre-made.

Anywho, best of luck.

P.s. I got my engine and everything else from pistonbiks.com. I liked the fact that i talked to a human being on the phone, and I got a tracking number for my purchases. I know I can call them immediately if there is any issues. I recommend you check out their website.