1915 indian

GoldenMotor.com

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Oh daaaaaammmmmmm! That gave me instant wood!
That is such an awesome motorcycle! The ports in the exhaust ports were quite interesting as well as the ports in the cylinders. It is not too often that you can watch the pistons moving in the cylinders of a running motorcycle.
And that sound!!! Ooooh that beautiful mechanical music!!!

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Doesn't this video point up the pathetic qualities of wheezy, janky little Chinese two-strokes? That's a healthy (if also primitive) 1000cc motor, and it comes across as a relatively serious piece of equipment.

Dressing up 49cc bicycles as boardtrack racers seems a little like buying old parking enforcement carts and costuming them as Shelby Mustangs and Hemi 'Cudas. The illusion is dispelled when you start the engine. They become "Malibu Barbie's My Special Boardtrack Racer".

While there is nothing expressly wrong with that, wouldn't it be more right to let a 21st century motorized bike just be what it is? At least that would liberate you from the superficial forms of yesterday's high tech that are now sadly lacking and produced only by technologically indifferent throwbacks.

I have a buddy from New York City (now a naturalized Texan) who has owned, rebuilt, reinvented, and sold several dozen Worksman trikes. He used to visit the Worksman factory with his project bikes and trikes. He says in all earnestness that the company has become more or less immune to improving their products. Anyone who would have been so inclined has not stayed around. They finally added a third bearing to the rear axle of their Adaptable trikes, but only after the need for one had been apparent for decades.

This is now the character of the manufacturers that produce all the bikes upon which the emasculated imitations of ancient boardtrack racers are built. The superficial characteristics may be basically true to form, but the spirit is not there. You have to remember that the guys who made the real thing were doing the absolute best they could in terms of technology and performance. Sticking a $150 Chinese stinker on a $75 Huffy and then doing the absolute best you can with the paint job seems like sort of a mockery of the genuine article.

I'm reminded of live steam enthusiasts, who make small scale replicas of locomotives and other equipment. They might be technically atavistic, but they go the extra mile to reproduce their favorite machines right down to the small parts. They wouldn't just weld up some scrap metal to sorta-kinda look like a locomotive, and then power it with a lawnmower engine. I don't think I've ever seen their sort of historical integrity from the MB/boardtracker phenomenon.

Is there anyone who makes real fire-breathing motorized bicycles with antique or replica engines?

Is there anyone who makes motorized bicycles with as much technological focus as the people who make pedal powered racing bikes?

I know of no examples of either of these things.

Chalo

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Malibu Barbie's My Special Boardtrack Racer".
That's a little harsh isn't it? Lol we're not trying to replicate the original anything power-wise man. We're just happy with an Enthusiastic kick in the pants, with no need to go 120+Mph
These Videos are just a reminder of "what was" not a "wow lets do that"

Seriously, nothing anyone does with an HT compare with the ole Indians/Exelsiors...

As for 'nobody modern doing anything' I'm sure you've heard of Franco Morini, and many more that have done nothing but try to improve our little sport.

Just enjoy the Friggin' videos for what they are, a blast to the past. And a glimpse to the hayday.

Chill!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Is there anyone who makes real fire-breathing motorized bicycles with antique or replica engines?
Therein is the problem really - of the available engines there's none that even vaguely look correct. If one were to spend the time to replicate a vintage boardtrack engine - I seriously doubt they'd bolt it to any commercial bicycle & would most likely scratch build a frame & running gear as well. There are folks whom would do just that, but now we're talking a nearly unlimited budget, fully stocked machine shops and the end result is most definitely not a "motorized bicycle" & it's essentially unusable as there's little to no chance of getting it street legal. I for one have little interest in such "trailer queens" and museum pieces beyond any cosmetic inspiration they may provide to build a daily driver.

Additionally, I don't know how much actual experience you've had with truly vintage engine styles - but I assure you the the Chinese two strokes do a pretty good job of emulating their "reliability" and maintenance needs at least lol

TBH, I think your taking it a bit too seriously & with an obvious bias. Few if any try to say their bikes are in fact "replicas" and I can't help but see it as complementary to the genre that so many do their best to emulate those madmen of old, to be "inspired" by such history... To use whatever resources they have at hand, to make the most of what they've got limited only by skills, time & budget. Which is exactly the same methodology BTW.

This hobby is simultaneously both very old and quite new, the tech keeps changing and the style is as diverse as the people whom build them... if ya don't like what you see - innovate & build something better, perhaps others would be inspired by that too.

edit: Actually, digging around a bit I've been unable to find a pic of your motorized bicycle - couldja post an example of your "technological focus"? It may be best to create a new thread for your build as such innovation would be out of place in this'un ;)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
From the time I was just a boy I liked to pretend my bicycle was a motorbike and thought for sure that when I was grown up I would have an Indian motorcycle. My brother and I talked about one with a sidecar. Being older he would run the bike and I'd sit in the sidecar. The days of playing cards making a racket against the spokes are long gone and unfortunately an Indian with a sidecar is way beyond my means if you could even find one for sale. Even a modern motorcycle is beyond my means. But i still can ride a bike and have a motor on it, feel the wind in my face and be twelve again. And if I want to give a nod to that early aspiration my brother and I had, then I will. In fact, I did. It isn't an Indian and no Indian ever looked like the bike I built this summer (Firebird, Silverbear's Worksman Cruiser), but to my mind it is 'in the spirit of' and the sidecar is made from a canoe which I'm sure Indian Motorcycles did not use. Those early guys used what was available to them and came up with some amazing things of great beauty. Some of us here are trying in our own ways to make things pleasing to the eye and also fun to ride... kind of like those early years when the dividing line between bicycle and motorcycle was a little blurry. I may lay awake at night sometimes thinking about how to make a new jewel light for my bike, but it is nothing to get too serious about. Keep it fun and an exercise in creativity. Keep smilin'.
SB

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I know of 2 companies that are making modern replicas. Both use modern technology and materials. One I share with you here, the other name is escaping my memory right now.
When I have the time, I will search for the other company.
This company is more or less a classic motorcycle company that builds racers on the side.
Kiwi Indian Motorcycle Company

As for this discussion of folks building board track replicas using the Chinese 2-strokes' they are doing the best as they can using the available technology at their disposal. Just like the folks did back in board track racing heydays. I see nothing wrong with this. If you want to keep it street legal under the laws pertaining to MB's, you have to follow the rules in your particular state of residence as you build up your own replica, including your choice of powerplant. Why sink hours and hours of your time and creative skills into your own idea of a one of a kind replica just to have it deemed illegal for you to enjoy on a daily basis, all because you chose to install a 900cc engine in it and try to pass it off as only being an MB?
I understand the point that Chalo is trying to make, I just don't think he understands the intentions of a replica MB board track racer, as it is. No offense intended Chalo!
Halcyon Cycle Works - Board Track Racer replicas

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I've seen this video of the old 8-valve before, posted previously on this very forum. But I may NEVER get tired of watching this old snarling demon of a lumber scorcher! That thing runs on pure testosterone, I swear.