is it necessary to clean the gas tank before first run?

GoldenMotor.com

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I always do, I always add a little fuel before mounting the tank and dump it out for a quick flush.

*Let me add I always remove the petcock when doing this so I dont add any junk to the tank filter.

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A quick look with a flashlight should tell you if there is a lot of rust/crud in the tank. If it looks relatively clean then use Dave's advice. If there appears to be rust on the interior surfaces then dump in a hand full of course sand, lead shot or any abrasive material and give the tank a few minutes of hard shaking then rinse with hot water and allow to completely dry before installing it. Many of the kit supplied tanks, especially the chrome plated ones will have rust inside that you need to get rid of or you'll have problems with clogged fuel filters, needle valves and other problems. Most of us like to use an external fuel filter betwen the tank and carburetor to assure a clean fuel supply to the carb.
Tom

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
you know i might have gotten lucky cause i never cleaned my tank out or my dads when i built them but thats cause i didnt know i should you may get lucky like me not a bit of rust or might not so i recomend cleaning the tank i will for sure on my next build

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
Yes and remove the screen filter which is part of the fuel valve. Install a quality inline filter instead.

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
i removed the screen filture i have a in line filture but it seems that its sort of decaying in there i was considering taking it off and just screening gas befor it goes into tank with panty hose or something

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Whats the reason for removing the filter????seems to me it will help keep crap out of the pet cock.....
I agree. As long as you keep it clean the inlet filter that comes with the kits will indeed help keep dirt out of the petcock. Grit will wear the 'O' rings which will eventually cause the petcock to drain fuel even when shut off. Install an in-line filter between the petcock and carburetor but leave the little in-tank screen on the petcock. Its double assurance against dirt. If it continually clogs then its time to clean your tank and strain your fuel if you're mixing/storing in a dirty container. As far as that goes you might be surprised to see what comes from the gas pump at the gas station. They're not as diligent at keeping their underground tanks, pumps and hoses as clean as you might expect.
Tom

Last edited:

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
As far as that goes you might be surprised to see what comes from the gas pump at the gas station. They're not as diligent at keeping their underground tanks, pumps and hoses as clean as you might expect.
Tom
Very true!
In some countries, it is illegal for stations to pump and sell gasoline for a certain period of time after the tanks have been filled, to allow for all the garbage to settle down.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I always remove the brass screen and install a FRAM automotive fuel filter before installing my fuel tanks.

My 4-liter Happy Time gas tank was used, and had sat for a while, before I put it on my bike. I also installed a locking gas cap, which involved filing the notches/tabs on the gas neck to accept the cap. Even though I put napkins inside the tank to catch the filings, I still had to clean it.(I should've inverted the tank while I was filing the gas neck.) After removing the petcock, I filled the tank with water several times and sloshed it around. Then I stuffed several napkins to sop up whatever was left in there. To ensure all water was removed, I stuck a hairdryer nozzle into the neck for several minutes. The tank became very hot, which evaporated any water that had been in there.

Any leftover metal filings or rust would be picked up by the $5 filter, although I can't see any crud in the see-through FRAM.