Interesting Find

GoldenMotor.com

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Hey Folks!
While cruising some Back roads the other day I happened upon an old english 3 speed touring bike with an old friction drive engine on the front put out for trash,I immediatley cruised home and got the car so I could throw it in the trunk.
She looks as if someone simply got bored and left her in the back of the barn for 30 or so years.
It will need some Love but it was too cool not to Grab!!! The engine is called a "Bike Bug" if anyone has any info on that I would be interested,I pulled the plug and the Piston looks clean,I dont see a sign of any leaks,I just may be able to make her go again,Anyone have any experience with the "Bike Bug"?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Made by Tanaka of Japan. Tanaka still makes small engines, but not that one. It was marketed in the USA as Bikebug, Sears Free Spirit,Taz Spitz & maybe one other name I can't think of. It put out around 23CC. These were very popular in the 60's and early 70's.

Some parts are still available from Tanaka USA and others need to be either fabricated or taken from a donor engine. I have some parts and engines, still have two that were running when I last used them a couple of years ago. Mike Snyder is a forum member and has a lot of expertise with these engines. These don't have a lot of power, but are smooth running and pretty quiet. On a lightweight bike like that 3 speed it would be nice especially if you don't have a lot of hills to climb unless you don't mind pedal assist. The really nice thing about those engines is that when you disengage the drive wheel from the front wheel of the bicycle and the engine is shut off it is silent running so that you can truly ride the bike as normal. Nice find. There are fewer of these around anymore and at some point will have collector value. It would be nice to leave it on the 3 speed if it is in good enough shape. Sort of a time machine from a few decades ago.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
If the drive wheel is shot I can help walk you through making one. Do not throw away the aluminum core from the old drive wheel as you will need it for your fabricated replacement. Neither the drive wheel or even the core are available now. Not a problem, though. Google Tanaka and you can find the company in the US and also Mike Snyder's web site. I think there are also a few articles as well.
SB

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
BIKEBUG OF SAN ANTONIO TX. ALL THAT NEEDS TO BE HAD IS THERE. Tanaka made the original kits........tanaka today is well respected!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Here was mine, now sold.

It was fairly quiet, smoooth and topped out at about 20 mph. It didn't effect the handling of the bike as it looks like it may, but you really had to watch the side stand and handlebar placement when leaving it parked.

Good fuel mileage, too small of a fuel tank.
Nice to ride when shut down.

Needs to be "adjusted" with your hands or a vice and some longer hardware to fit most modern tubular forks. (a 5 minute operation if you have the hardware on hand)

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
BTW- I would have heave the whole works over my shoulder less some other fortunate would come along while I was going to get the car!

rmeloy34

Mar 26, 2009
Wallyworld Conn.
Made by Tanaka of Japan. Tanaka still makes small engines, but not that one. It was marketed in the USA as Bikebug, Sears Free Spirit,Taz Spitz & maybe one other name I can't think of. It put out around 23CC. These were very popular in the 60's and early 70's.

Some parts are still available from Tanaka USA and others need to be either fabricated or taken from a donor engine. I have some parts and engines, still have two that were running when I last used them a couple of years ago. Mike Snyder is a forum member and has a lot of expertise with these engines. These don't have a lot of power, but are smooth running and pretty quiet. On a lightweight bike like that 3 speed it would be nice especially if you don't have a lot of hills to climb unless you don't mind pedal assist. The really nice thing about those engines is that when you disengage the drive wheel from the front wheel of the bicycle and the engine is shut off it is silent running so that you can truly ride the bike as normal. Nice find. There are fewer of these around anymore and at some point will have collector value. It would be nice to leave it on the 3 speed if it is in good enough shape. Sort of a time machine from a few decades ago.
SB
I have developed an affection for the old raliegh 3 speed it is on and I believe with some love and steel wool I can make her a lady again,I have found some bike bug guys who will work with me on the motor.....Thanx

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I stumbled across a 1976 Huffy road bike with 3-speed on craigslist. I bought it for $35, mainly because it had a Bike Bug engine strapped onto the front of it. Parts have been ordered from Mike. I replaced a broken spoke, brake pads and cables and greased the bottom bracket. I thought about trashing the bike and moving the engine to a mountain bike. However I've grown attached to "BB HUFFY", so I'll do my best to revive her.

I MIGHT strap on a 2.8hp engine to the rear wheel. It's a Tanaka 47R, a very powerful cousin of the Bike Bug engine.xct2