Need Torture Test Ideas!

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I just can't get over the having to wear sunglasses wow.

I would torture test the chain by trying to climb hills in a faster gear to see how much it can handle before the chain separates or jumps a sprocket because it overcame derailier tension if even at all.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
:crash:rotfl:crash:I voteb15 year old somthing around that . shoot I'am getting old but still think a little silly set me with one I'd make a great crash test dummy

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Here's a test. About a month ago a pickup truck side swiped me and hit Cronus HARD knocking Cronus on the ground and messed up my alignment something wicked. But I motored it on home anyway after straightening it out somewhat.
That would be a good test I think. Put on that kickstand and ram that bike on the side with your car or truck enough to cause your bike to crash hard on the concrete floor. Then get on it and see if your chain alignment is off. Even if it is,see how easy or hard it would be to correct it with just the tools you have in your tool kit.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Holy moses.....that's a destructive test....might mess the bike up good, but I doubt it will knock "chain alignment...off", or damage the assembly. If the drive sprocket moves, it's two set screws, but I doubt it would move much.

It's possible that it may loosen the right drive chain. A 1/2" and 10mm wrench will take care of that.

FileStyle

May 27, 2008
Decatur,IL
I would like to see a video of you riding and hear how the jack shaft works with your motor, maybe a steep hill or a whole shot, or riding through the dirt or grass!

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
True - no engine braking. Makes the engine last longer.
I think your jackshaft kits are a great invention!
But the lack of engine braking is THE reason that me, my friends & my customers don't want them!
You might want to consider offering two different kits, one with & one without it.
I ride motorcycles, & engine braking is VERY important! (not to mention that it feels weird without it!)
Just something for you to consider...
~Norm

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Interesting. To design such kit a would be a bit of an engineering and cost challenge and still have a bicycle with pedals. If you don't want pedals, piece of cake.

Of course for a motorbike with a larger engine and decent compression engine braking in great. Do you really depend on engine braking with a 49-67cc engine? I found on steep downhills it just was not good for the engine and didn't assist in stopping. It's a bit odd at first but it takes a short ride to get used to it.

I'm thinking not ALL your customers are adverse to the idea, I'd bet.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
Well think about this... Maybe if you could lock the rear sprocket cassett to the wheel (no freewheeling) & lock the engine to that.
Then have only the pedalling front sprocket be the one that freewheels???
That would work!!
If you could do that... I'll sell dozens of them for you!!! (seriously)

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Without the rear freewheel the rear derailluer will unwind during engine braking causing the chain to loosen and probably fall off. It may be possible to do an internal transmission hub or NuVinci without a rear freewheel and make it work that way. I think the NuVinci will take the reverse load applied with engine braking but I don't know about the internal hubs.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
These aren't motorcycles.

Engine braking on these motors doesn't too a whole lot honestly. Yeah it slows you down a little, but I find it's a smoother ride if I just clutch in and use the brakes. With this kit you wouldn't even need to clutch in if you're just slowing a bit for a corner.

Just my $0.02

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I think I provided 2 possible ways to do it. The only issue I see with the internal hub and NuVinci is that the rear freewheel, even if locked, is still screwed on and would want to unscrew under engine braking. I am sure there is a way that it could be keyed so that it wouldn't unscrew.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
a NuVinci with this kit would be sweet anyway. I think Staton has 2 gears on the nuvinci. One freewheel for the pedal chain, and one fixed for the motor chain. That's probably how it'd have to be done, because if you only had one fixed gear in back and still had the freewheel front, it still wouldn't brake with the motor.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Actually it would brake the motor because the drive from the motor to the gears and back to the hub are still all tied together, it is just the pedals that are isolated.

RayCycler

Aug 11, 2008
Hey I'm new to motorbicycling.com and I needed a little advice. First of all- how do I make a post that's not a reply.
Second, I am thinking of getting that 50 cc 4 stoke titan engine kit from thatsdax.com. any comments on it? Also the bike i found that I would like to mount it to is a single speed diamondback cruiser with the pedal backwards type breaks. will this work?
Also is there anyway to maybe hook up the engine in such a way i can shift between mutiple sprockets like 5? so i can take hills good and go fast on flat land? any advice on this would be great! thanks!
Ray