brakes: big deal

GoldenMotor.com

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
I have a huffy beach cruiser 26' with a grubee Skyhawk 66cc. I need some really good brakes if I'm going to be driving it back and forth to work.
And for now, how can I control the clutch with the coaster brake or is that not safe?
On a 15-35mph.
And who has a suspension forks that hold up the best?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
If you're going to go with a suspension fork look for one made for disc brakes. Disc are the absolute best option for brakes. That will mean you'll need a front rim/hub made for disc too. Not cheap, but the safest way to go.

As for your question about controlling the clutch with the coaster brake. I'm not understanding what you have in mind. The clutch should be controlled by a handlebar lever, not your feet.

Tom

IndependentRider

Oct 6, 2013
Florida
When I go to slowed down it shuts off.
I don't know if I'm pulling the clutch too tight or what.
So, I figure I'm not controlling it right.
And can you give me a list?
Of what I need too buy,just for the front rear.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First, the clutch needs to be disengaged, (handlebar lever squeezed) when your speed drops below about 10 MPH. It isn't an automatic transmission. You have to disengage the clutch at low speed.

If you plan to install a suspension fork you'll need one with the same stem lenght and diameter as your original. It will have to have mounts for a disc brake caliper. The rim, or the front hub must have mounting capabilities for a disc brake rotor. You'll need a disc brake caliper and rotor and a brake cable from the handlebar brake lever.

As for brands and availibility, you'll have to do some research for what will fit your bike or maybe another member will be able to tell you which suspension forks will fit. You might also check with a friendly local bike shop for suggestions.

Tom

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I put disc brakes on my bike recently. I found a kit to convert your rear wheel into a disc brake wheel on bicycle designer i ended up buying the triple tree chopper fork and the disc brake adapter kit and putting it on a rear wheel. Then i upgraded the calipers to the avid bb7 which had a really good review on amazon. the ones that came from bike designer had really tiny pads and didnt feel like they would stop good. Bicycle shops around here wouldnt help me at all i had to help them understand why i needed to change braking systems and why i put a motor on my bike and they wanted me to completely strip the motor and all components off and basically put the bike back how it came from the factory before they would do any work on it. And they really didnt want to put disc brakes on it because it "wasnt engineered to have disc brakes in the first place" and they "didnt want to be liable for what could happen to me or the frame or the brakes should something go wrong" Your best bet is to get to know your bicyccle and the components and what they are called, what they do, and what you want to do really well. most people can't or wont help you at local shops if you don't. And people on the forum cant or wont help you if they don't know precisely what youre typing/talking about.

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
My only advice is LISTEN TO 2 Door about disc brakes. Thats the best way to go if you can afford it, They are a little pricey. You can buy a LOT of the stuff you need right off sleaze-bay cheaper than a bike shop.
fatdaddy.

SuperDave

Sep 24, 2011
Panama City Beach, Fl. USA
Bicycle shops around here wouldnt help me at all i had to help them understand why i needed to change braking systems and why i put a motor on my bike and they wanted me to completely strip the motor and all components off and basically put the bike back how it came from the factory before they would do any work on it. And they really didnt want to put disc brakes on it because it "wasnt engineered to have disc brakes in the first place" and they "didnt want to be liable for what could happen to me or the frame or the brakes should something go wrong" ...
most people can't or wont help you at local shops if you don't.
I dispise close minded individuals who refuse to think outside of the box. There are far too many people running around that think that is it isn't available in a retail setting, shrink wrapped in plastic, & labeled with a price tag, its wrong. To them, DIY tinkerers like us are too lazy, cheap, or ignorant to buy retail and pay taxes.

I have a triple tree chopper fork & disc brake setup from Bicycle Designer as well, and I can assure you they are very good, even with the tiny pads. I have road rash scars, a chipped tooth, a busted mirror, and a hospital bill for a cracked rib from being thrown over the handlebars to prove it! Only downside is they don't just squeal, they moan, loudly. But if they can lock up the front wheel, flip a hundred pound bike and 150 pound rider, they are good brakes!

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
I dispise close minded individuals who refuse to think outside of the box. There are far too many people running around that think that is it isn't available in a retail setting, shrink wrapped in plastic, & labeled with a price tag, its wrong. To them, DIY tinkerers like us are too lazy, cheap, or ignorant to buy retail and pay taxes.

I have a triple tree chopper fork & disc brake setup from Bicycle Designer as well, and I can assure you they are very good, even with the tiny pads. I have road rash scars, a chipped tooth, a busted mirror, and a hospital bill for a cracked rib from being thrown over the handlebars to prove it! Only downside is they don't just squeal, they moan, loudly. But if they can lock up the front wheel, flip a hundred pound bike and 150 pound rider, they are good brakes!
two thumbs up! There are way too many lose minded people.

I have that same set up but i replaced the stock calipers with the avid bb7 pads because someone on the internet said they perform really well. I do have pretty good stopping power but i havent been able to adjust them to lock up.

If anyone has a video link that could show me how to set the brakes for max performance id appreciate that

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
two thumbs up! There are way too many lose minded people.

I have that same set up but i replaced the stock calipers with the avid bb7 pads because someone on the internet said they perform really well. I do have pretty good stopping power but i havent been able to adjust them to lock up.

If anyone has a video link that could show me how to set the brakes for max performance id appreciate that
Here's a good link that explains it well > http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/avid-reg-mechanical-disc-adjustment

Hope that helps.

Tom

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
There's a hub from whizzer that a disc bolts right onto like the whizzer 2008 ambassador....sealed bearings and all..easy to do.