Trike Problems

GoldenMotor.com

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Looks like you need a doubler plate welded to the frame dropouts. Adding more or stronger material to the area is about all I can suggest...

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
the frame drop outs really was not damage that bad but the trike drop outs are messed up kind of bad. Ill figure out something just going to take some time

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Looks like you have the same rear end I do that's meant for a Sun recumbent trike and cant be used to turn a standard bike into a trike without modification. It's designed to bolt up to a spot that mirrors it. A bolt goes into the each square hole on the frame and the the rear end. Two bolts within an inch isn't enough, there's just to much pressure.

The easiest solution without welding would be two flat bars that match the bolt pattern of the rear end but extended 4-6in. Then use a U bolt or something strong to clamp the extra 4-6in to the frame. You could also weld or bolt something to the basket bars on the rear end that extend and attach to the frame somehow. And if I remember correctly the GT2 is aluminum so it would be best to use both ideas somehow.

Attachments

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
it is very similar to the pic of the black one but dont have the pieces that put pressure to the frame. it does have 2 square holes on each side that do not have anything to match up to. right now Im waiting to see what piston bike is going to do to help me out. Talked to a buddy of mine today about it he has the tools needed for us to make what ever we need to make it more solid.

I thank you for the advice and pics

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Lol Piston Bikes is going to end up with problems if they are selling that rear end as a conversion because it is not, its frame specific. A conversion is like one of the actual pictures I posted and is designed to work with almost any frame.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
when I talked to them this morning they told me that most of them they have built that they weld the trike set up to the frame. they also told me that the GT2 frame that they have on there site with the trike rear on it has giving them no problem and that they have a 300 lbs guy that rides it. they also said that they use carriage bolts to that I asked them why they did not have them in the kit or at least some instructions that told people they needed to get some

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I like piston they have always done me right when there have been misshaps so Im sure they will do what ever they need to do to fix this problem. it just might take them a little time.

Stormsorter

Jun 10, 2010
Jasper County Illinois
Not trying to make them look bad just pointing out that someone can get them in trouble for it if they are selling that rear end as a bolt on conversion, especially if fails like it did for you and someone gets hurt. I also find it very hard to believe that it holds up that way even if the rider was only 175lbs nor do I see a carriage bolt making any difference.

Scott.D.Lang

Jan 1, 2013
Chicago
I road it a couple blocks my son road it the rest of the 3 miles or so it was ridden and it scared the **** out of me when I seen what happened.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
If I over tighten the axil nuts on my GT2a the drop outs would spread. I solved the problem simply by using a serrated washer under the nut and a larger dia. spacer on the inside. I also had to replace the 145mm long axil with a 180 mm axil.
I am currently machining a pair of rear axil mounted universal chain adjusters for horizontal drop outs. These will have the added bonus off strengthening the drop outs.