atombikes' 2007 Whizzer NE5

GoldenMotor.com

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
carb hitting the frame

So I bought and installed the carb spacer kit for the NE5 engine. When I got the Whizzer, I thought the carb looked a little too close to the frame, and I *thought* that the spacer would actually provide a little more clearance, along with it's other benefits.

Attached are pics. You can see a little rust spot on the frame where the cable nipple used to be rubbing the frame; but you can also clearly see that the lid on top the carb is touching the frame. Not shown is the cable getting bent over against the bottom of the tank.

Anyone else have this issue, and if so, how to fix? I can't really lower the engine because the rear mount is fixed. So I think I can only rotate the frame. And I think rotating the engine down will make matters worse?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Looks like you could move your engine back a little & as it goes back, it goes down. But then you'd have to re adjust your belts.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Looks like you could move your engine back a little & as it goes back, it goes down. But then you'd have to re adjust your belts.
Thanks JB. i see what you mean re: the sliding adjustment shown in the pic under the carb.

So how does adjustment work; shouldn't the spring that tensions the autoclutch take up the belt slack on both belts as I lower the engine?

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Thanks JB. i see what you mean re: the sliding adjustment shown in the pic under the carb.

So how does adjustment work; shouldn't the spring that tensions the autoclutch take up the belt slack on both belts as I lower the engine?
The spring should help with that.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
The weather was nice enough to finally get the Whizzer out. Had it up to almost 40 mph, but I noticed that every time I took it above 35 it was hesitating. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of fine tuning, but for basically the first ride it was great.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Unbeatable! I love this thing. I'm certain that once I get it tuned it will run well above 40mph. Will definitely be looking to change out the wheelset.
I put a Shimano coaster brake hub on the rear of my 99 & balloon tire rims. I don't know about the 2007's but my 99 had rims for the 26-1.75 inch tires but had 26-2.25 inch tires on it.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I put a Shimano coaster brake hub on the rear of my 99 & balloon tire rims. I don't know about the 2007's but my 99 had rims for the 26-1.75 inch tires but had 26-2.25 inch tires on it.
The 2007 has black "femco" 1.75" wide rims. They look totally out of place on the bike, and I'm sure they alter the handling. I was curious how the bike would handle since I changed the quill stem to one that has very little offset and handlebars that are much more compact, but the handling seemed fine at ~ 40mph.

I noticed the heat coming off the engine as it was idling when I was adjusting the carb idle speed. And it looked like there was a white smoke coming off the head. I assume it was oil burning off? These engines seem to run very hot.

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
I noticed the heat coming off the engine as it was idling when I was adjusting the carb idle speed. And it looked like there was a white smoke coming off the head. I assume it was oil burning off? These engines seem to run very hot.
They do run hot. I don't let mine sit long if it's running.

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Dude that pic of your bike is now my desktop background! Very cool!

You ought to try some of that motorkote I was posting about a few years ago the stuff made my pyrometer in a big rig's temp go down quite a but and also takes a lot of the vibration out. Wal Mart is selling the stuff now it is a bit spendy at $26 a quart but it treats 2 cars. Don't put it in untill the engine is completely broke in. http://www.walmart.com/ip/MotorKote-Hyper-Lubricant-32-oz/19887630

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Dude that pic of your bike is now my desktop background! Very cool!

You ought to try some of that motorkote I was posting about a few years ago the stuff made my pyrometer in a big rig's temp go down quite a but and also takes a lot of the vibration out. Wal Mart is selling the stuff now it is a bit spendy at $26 a quart but it treats 2 cars. Don't put it in untill the engine is completely broke in. http://www.walmart.com/ip/MotorKote-Hyper-Lubricant-32-oz/19887630

Thanks for the comment about my pic and also for the Motorkote heads up. I guess this stuff is kind of like Slick50 or other Teflon type additives?

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
Scored a Worksman front wheel with Atom drum hub for the Whizzer at the Memory Lane swap meet today in Grand Rapids, OH. Going to hold onto it and look for a matching rear wheel.

racie35

Nov 17, 2012
usa
matching rear wheel for a whizzer will need a sprocket and freewheel.....I just bought mine from worksman...they sell em.

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
matching rear wheel for a whizzer will need a sprocket and freewheel.....I just bought mine from worksman...they sell em.
Why not just use a coaster rear brake Workman wheel?

I know I've seen pics of rear drum workman wheel on a Whizzer. As I recall, maybe RDKryton's bike?