125cc Recumbent Trike

GoldenMotor.com

FMB42

Sep 27, 2013
Idaho
Sounds like you've got a cool project going on. Don't think I've ever seen Rec. Trike done with such and engine, but it should be good with such a low center of gravity and all.

If you have time maybe you tell us about:

1. What type of brakes you plan on using?

2. What rear tire size do you have in mind?

3. Do you plan on using any lighting? Having turn signals along with head and tail lights would be pretty sharp imo (as would rear view mirrors).

4. Will your trike be licensed for the road?

5. And finally, what are your estimates for the weights of this vehicle (including Gross)?

Sorry for all the questions...

Btw, welcome to the Motorbicycing forums!

Cube26

Apr 11, 2013
Melbourne Australia
The trike I have is a swift touring built by mr components. Wheels are 20 inch. I will have it so I can still pedal and the motor will slip on back so I can easily remove it for storage and normal riding. I won't be installing lights as it already has night spotlights. And the weight will be round the 20kg mark inc the engine.
For the moment I'll just leave the standard v breaks that are on it and see how they go. The wheel is extra spoked anways and coped with me doing power skids so should b ok, so far I have managed to mout a sprocket and cut meal for the rack to hold engine and things so just have to make time to weld it up

Cube26

Apr 11, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Ok so today I finally got round to removing the engine off the bike (stripping my atomic 125 for parts as local laws made the bikes illegal)
welded up a frame to mount the engine and partially mounted it. Now Ive hit my first problem, the chain.
I have a sprocket attached to the wheel but I will have to make some idler gears as the chain has to bend around the engine magneto and the bike frame.
ill post photos soon

Cube26

Apr 11, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Finished the overall build of the engine, however I struck a problem. Due to the fact that the chain has to exit the rear of the engine and cant go directly to the sprocket because the magneto is in the way i had to make 2 rollers for the chain. I test rode the bike a few days ago and it was fantastic and had a huge amount of power, however I neglected to install some sort of spring loaded chain tensioner and when I was in 3rd gear the chain came off the big sprocket causing it to bunch up inside the engines chain guard and crushed the stator magnets timing sensor. so now I have installed a tensioner that simply sits between the chain and keeps an even spring. so I will post a video as soon as the new stator arrives and the engine is running again.
Feel free to ask me any questions or request any pictures, Id also greatly appreciate any feedbackdnut

Attachments