Ridley Vintage Bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Re: Ridley.. anyone seen these?

To Heck with Ridley Vintage, I want Clotho's bike.

Perhaps between now and next riding season, I can gain enough knowledge to attempt to build one myself.

brobie

Aug 15, 2008

I have heard about Ridley's in motorcycle discussions. Some people were interested because they were manufacturing an automatic motorcycle.

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia

For some custom frames, it can cost about U$1000 to 1850, with brazing and all. Maybe they improved the engine's performance in some way?

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008

I'm quite eager to know how you seal off the top bar on the Felt bikes to create a functional gas tank. Can't find anything about it.

Anyone have a link?

I promise if I ever build one, it won't be a complete rip-off copy.

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

I'm quite eager to know how you seal off the top bar on the Felt bikes to create a functional gas tank. Can't find anything about it.

Brenton
There are a bunch of builds going on on the other forum. The top tube is deseptivly thin

I am thikinking coming out the side at a 90 with a cool fill cap.

Clotho

May 25, 2008

I will build anyone a custom bike with a "regular" motorized bicycle engine kit gas tank, to your specifications and deliver it to you personally anywhere in the continental U.S. for 2000.00.

Tax free.
You still aren't comparing apples to apples. A guy building bikes in his garage has greatly reduced expenses compared to a real business building in small quantities.

You guys seem to be interested and knowledgeable. Say you were thinking about building a run of 10 bikes. They will have front and rear disc brakes. A reliable 4 stroke engine and an attractive appearance. The first run will not have lights. Also the Whizzer isn't a concern as far as competition as you can't get a Whizzer in Canada. Your cost for materials alone is about $1000 per bike. How much will you sell them for?

Remember it is always easier to come down in price than it is to raise prices.

Clotho

May 25, 2008

There are a bunch of builds going on on the other forum. The top tube is deseptivly thin

I am thikinking coming out the side at a 90 with a cool fill cap.

The bike you are looking at is one of the steel ones. The aluminum framed versions are a bit different. The top tube isn't thin at all. It is also much larger and holds more fuel.

If you are interested in sealing the tank then look for posts by HBlocal on the other board. He explains the process in detail.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

You still aren't comparing apples to apples. A guy building bikes in his garage has greatly reduced expenses compared to a real business building in small quantities.

QUOTE]

In my arrogant way of thinking, I figure that I build one off customs, and therefore could charge 2000.00 for them as where the Ridleys are semi-customs....I definitely could build a apples to apples bike for two grand.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now

At any rate, I feel sad for the guy that buys one of those for that much, then finds out he could have had all the fun of the build himself for a fraction of the cost.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008

The bike you are looking at is one of the steel ones. The aluminum framed versions are a bit different. The top tube isn't thin at all. It is also much larger and holds more fuel.

If you are interested in sealing the tank then look for posts by HBlocal on the other board. He explains the process in detail.
Found it!

Thanks Clotho!

I hope you'll be around this winter for some advice here and there. I think I simply must build one!

It would be irresponsible not to.

(How did this become so addictive, all of a sudden? I've got 60 miles on my first bike, and now look what's happening to me...)

Brenton

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008

No thanks to Ridley.
Agreed! I admit it, but no thanks to Ridley.

I like the look so much, I want to build one over the winter.

My fantasy includes a nu vinci cvt hub, a sick bike parts doo-hicky to let the motor drive it, and maybe one a those spiffy upgraded clutches that what's his name is selling.

And a front drum brake.

Ok, I think that's all.

Brenton

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Brenton, I was thunking the same thing but add a 4 stroke and brass pipe the enlarge the tank

misteright1_99

Mar 21, 2008
Treasure Coast, Florida
Re: The Ridley - A fancy, happy time

They have some nice bikes. But $559. for the chinese in frame COMEON..

P.S. In another thread someone posted they will be selling the motor mounts seperatly soon...

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Re: The Ridley - A fancy, happy time

No, that 559. is just for the engine kit, LOL. The bike is $1,200. And it only has a coaster brake, (ouch). Is that the frame that GruBee was going to sell? There is another outfit that is making a bike with it. Who ever is hanging the paint on those things is good. I like the limited Desert Storm addition.

Attachments