Great Ontario cruise

GoldenMotor.com

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
High Guys/Girls! One of our resident endurance riders got bored and wanted to break his record. Remember whelan's 400mi(644km) round trip? As of 5:00 this morning he's on his way down here for a visit :)

So I'm going to go meet him about 2/3 of the way down. My round trip will only be around a lowly 800km(500mi), but his whole trip will be 1130km(700mi)

To give y'all a better scope of the trip have a quick look at this map. There's the upper segment and lower segment separated by a Ferry ride. I'm riding the lower segment up to meet him when he gets off the boat, but he's doing the whole trip twice.

Should be a whicked fun cruise. We've been talking about it in the chat for the past week, so I figured I should start a thread.

Bringing camping gear and lots of bug spray!

Wish us luck!

Oh, and Happy just got here too, so I'll try to keep both threads updated along the way! :)

furament

May 31, 2009
ontaro
looks like your gunna be throught my home town. stomping grounds on your way you should pm me or if you need parts help it would br good to see another member

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Well I gotta say, that was a bust. My crapbox chinagirl barely got me past Sarnia. First the chain broke, then my head gasket. So I snugged it down(brought tools at least), and my crappy jug gasket squashed so much the piston was hitting the head so it wouldn't even turn over. Soo, 5 pop can's later, 3 gaskets from each can, cutting them out with scissors in the pouring rain...

So with no jug gasket, you can imagine what that did to the port timing... I'm surprised I even made it home. Limpety limp, sputtery putt, weird fart...

Whelan made it a lot farther, almost half way before his clutch starting farting out on him. He made it 550km, to my 50, plus limp 50 back.

Talk about embarrassing. I've just barely got my head out of the sand to talk about my utter failure. I'll try next year if I can get a decent engine.

China girls/HT's are just toys, don't try to put any real distance on them. They'll break your heart.

Sorry furament, didn't see this before I left. I doubt I'd've made it anyway...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
Well I gotta say, that was a bust. My crapbox chinagirl barely got me past Sarnia. First the chain broke, then my head gasket. So I snugged it down(brought tools at least), and my crappy jug gasket squashed so much the piston was hitting the head so it wouldn't even turn over. Soo, 5 pop can's later, 3 gaskets from each can, cutting them out with scissors in the pouring rain...

So with no jug gasket, you can imagine what that did to the port timing... I'm surprised I even made it home. Limpety limp, sputtery putt, weird fart...

Whelan made it a lot farther, almost half way before his clutch starting farting out on him. He made it 550km, to my 50, plus limp 50 back.

Talk about embarrassing. I've just barely got my head out of the sand to talk about my utter failure. I'll try next year if I can get a decent engine.

China girls/HT's are just toys, don't try to put any real distance on them. They'll break your heart.

Sorry furament, didn't see this before I left. I doubt I'd've made it anyway...
Did ya take pictures? :-||

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
All kidding aside we was worried about ya. I know if I took out x-country if I could afford it I think I'd take a spare engine but dang a chain breakin what's the odds of that? Was it the master link popped loose?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
thanks guys, was pouring rain during the whole failed fiasco, so couldn't take out the camera.

it was the bike chain that broke first, just cruising along and "plink", it broke. Am I ever glad I brought my breakers and more tools to replace the gasket with cut up pop cans in a parking lot...

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I did that on a vacation once...replaced the oil pan gasket in the pouring down rain...dang thing was leakin so bad. That 350 chevy engine was hard to seal for some reason.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yea man, unfortunately. After fixing a broken chain, no biggie, the head gasket started to leak. So after snugging up the head a bunch(I think I overdid that), the base gasket squashed. Then the head gasket squashed once it got hot enough. So when I stopped for a snack and some water, the whole top end compressed so the piston would hit the head and wouldn't even turn over.

So now with the lowered jug(squashed base), and lower compression(15 gaskets) it'd barely get to 1/4 throttle... :(

limped me home, so I'm happy at least it didn't seize up or something....

Cut a new base gasket out of steel this time. Will be testing soon if I can get the fragments of pop-can out of the bottom end. I think I should just split the case and drop in new bearings(from Al) while I'm at it...

ahh, the joys of running HT's...