Finding Cruiser Brakes

GoldenMotor.com

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS
I have a Micargi Cougar GTS and want to put hand brakes on it. I found the double pull hand brake but, can't find the actual brakes for it. I see brakes on the multi speed cruisers, can't find just the brakes for them that will go over the fender.
Thanks for input!

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I'm not sure what the fenders are like on your bike, but for mine I just added a pair of old side pull brakes. Without the pads on they fit over the fender no problem. If they won't fit I did see pictures from one builder who just used a pair of channel locks to dent in the sides of the fender enough that the brakes would fit. If you can lace a wheel you might also consider a disc or drum brake for the front. Good luck!

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS
I have a side pull off a BMX but, they don't look long enough to grab the wheel. Maybe it's just an illusion. Maybe I need to know what kind of brakes will fit from other bikes.

lennyharp

Jul 19, 2008
Mesa Arizona
Odyssey 1999 Brake/Lever Set For BMX is the set I just bought for an old cruiser. They are the longest reach of a current quality brake but is not as good as a disk, cantelever or v brake set up.

jerseykat1

if you are not afraid to ruin your paint job (you can repaint it) i would weld on some 10mm x1.25 (not 100% sure on the thread pitch, you should buy the studs that i am about to mention first then match up the nuts) nuts to your frame and fork (provided its a steel frame) install some cantelever studs to the nuts you just welded on(local bike shop sells them) and install some v brakes, IMO sidepull brakes just don't cut it, v brakes or disc brakes work great.

CalgarysFool

Aug 30, 2008
Tektro apparently has a side pull brake designed for beach style cruisers. It's model A324, if I recall.

I just can't find anywhere on the net to order it, and Tektro doesn't deal with individuals.

Brenton

jerseykat1

side pull brakes suck IMO unless you can find a good pair of pitbull brakes the really good stuff from back in the day and they are impossible to find only sidepulls left is the cheap ****. if you can weld and paint install v brakes your life kind of depends on it.

mrhite65

Sep 24, 2008
KANSAS
My bike is chrome and I can't weld. Does the v brakes put on a greater force?
I found some BMX pitbull brakes. Is that the same thing?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Dud if your going to weld get a mechanical disk brake set up their probly 40 or 50 dollers a pop.set it in place lock the brake in place with zip tie at handle, now you know where to weld the mounting for the calliper. This is how I will be doing mine this winter. Hope this helps