geard hub vs direct drive hubs????

GoldenMotor.com

stretchintha420

May 16, 2011
york ME
hello all. i have built a few motor bikes, but due to a recent lack of license i am gonna build an ebike to get me through this summer, i found what i believe to be a reasonable supplier, called amped bikes and i was just wondering if the geared motor was worth the extra 200 $$ vs the direct drive. and what are the benefits of both.
as im new to this whole electric thing i would relay appreciate any and all help.

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
hello all. i have built a few motor bikes, but due to a recent lack of license i am gonna build an ebike to get me through this summer, i found what i believe to be a reasonable supplier, called amped bikes and i was just wondering if the geared motor was worth the extra 200 $$ vs the direct drive. and what are the benefits of both.
as im new to this whole electric thing i would relay appreciate any and all help.
I don't proffess to know a lot about hubs but I am pretty sure that a geared hub is 2 speed.
Low for hills and torque and high is for speed.

POPS

Thud

May 26, 2010
West Michigan
sorry Pops, not correct.

The geared hub motor actualy uses a smaller motor inside the hub & transmits the power through a spider gear cluster.

reason? the gearing allows the smaller motor to deliver = or better starting tourque to a larger more power hungry direct drive motor.

The real advantage from my point of view is-geared hubs have a freewheel built into the system. so other than a little weight penalty, you can pedal without interferance.

A "direct drive" is simplly a bigger motor with spoke flanges. if the wires are hooked up...the motor effectivly becomes a generator & unless you unplug the wires the drag of creating energy will increase exponetialy the faster you pedal. the direct drive will allways be spinning the magnets about the stator & have some sort of drag induced from eddy currents.

Which is better?
No such thing. both have situations that favor their charicteristics.
To my knowledge, there are no 2-speed E-hub motors.
Hope that helps.

SANGESF

Feb 23, 2009
Lake Worth
The only issue with geared motors IS the freewheeling..
If the hall sensors in a geared motor go bad, you have to replace them (IF you can so it) or the motor will not work anymore..