Second time I got hit by a car.

GoldenMotor.com

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
Well not more than ten minutes ago I got hit by a truck, the driver was an old ass man and his old ass wife and so Iget knocked over and my front rim goes under his tire thus bending my handlebars and my gas tank, fml seriously I tell himt o backup to get my tire from under his billion pound truck and I pull it out and get on the side walk to fix the handlebars and whatnot and i turn around and hes gone I ****ing Hate people that dont look both ways. I cut my palm up again after it just healing due to another accident. Im just tired of getting hit on my bike It makes me want to give up on motorized bicycling, Ive been thinking of selling it but now I cant from my ****ed up rim AHHHH!!!.duh.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Sorry.

yeah, lets be careful out there.
Thing to most be ready for- people pulling out or turning in front of us- gotta watch the front end
Second thing? Not pulling out in front of someone else I think.
A bike helmet at least could save your life and they are lightweight- a cycling cap or painters hat goes under one in the cold.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A little advice for you: Ride as if you're invisible.
Never never assume that a driver has seen you or will react to you. If you EXPECT him/her to stop or otherwise yield to YOU, then you're setting yourself up for what just happened. Motorcyclist and pedal bikers will tell you the same thing. People in cars do not see you or the motorcyclist as a threat to them. They drive with the attitude that "you're smaller, so therefore you will yield to them". or, they simply don't see you.

After you heal and your bike is running again, try the advice given above. You might avoid a repeat.
Tom

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Watch the ice out there now too-

When I was a kid I delivered papers- a lady on the route sometimes called me to carry her groceries up to her second floor apartment

one icy day she called- i was riding my 26" Old Green Clunker I called it down there, and hit some ice at the bottom of our street- I went down and got a concussion that a bike helmet would've saved- but this was before them- and despite wearing a thick stocking cap

I reacall the phone ringing as I was watching TV and the next thing I recall was pulling back into our driveway later that day after going to the hospital- I vaguely recalled that light on the doctors head looking into my eyes-
I asked my Mom what happened- her exasperatted reply was "You fell off your bike!" Apparently I had asked that question repeatedly every few minutes for a couple of hours

A stranger had found me at the bottom of the street and I somehow told him where I lived- but was out of it otherwise with a concussion. Musta been about 1967 and I was 13.

14 seasons of USCF racing would follow in a few more years, but I never once knocked myself out like that- although my Dad did in Glen Ellen Chicago- his race in Veterans division was just before my senior race- he didn't come around with the handfull of older guys one lap, and a few minutes later they were leading him to the van all very dazed and confused- with a concussion- and despte wearing a leather hairnet style old timey helmet.

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
A little advice for you: Ride as if you're invisible.
GREAT advice there! That's how I do it, I assume NOBODY sees me and make sure I am ready to keep myself safe under any circumstance (hopefully). So far so good, but I have run up against at least 2 incidents where if I had not been so mistrusting of other drivers I probably would have ended up with road rash.... Be OVERLY CAREFUL out there riders!

I'm glad to hear you are OK other than some minor wounds. Sorry to hear about the bike, but it can be patched back together with a bit of work and $$ a lot easier than your body!

I hope you don't decide to give up on it, when you get rolling again try sticking to side streets, less traveled streets, lower speed streets, alleys, etc, anywhere traffic is lower and slower. Never blow through a cross street without slowing and looking EVERYWHERE for cars even if you don't have a stop, that's one of the easiest way to get hit. When you see a car don't assume just because he has a stop sign he is gonna stop, it's pretty amazing how many people blow stop signs when they think no other cars are around....

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
You guys are funny.

This was a hit and run and the piece of crap cagers should be in jail right now.

Bikers are tired of dying for Americans right to drive badly.

It's really amazing how bad they let you drive w/o lifting your license right here in the good ol USA as compared to other countries.

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
You guys are funny.

This was a hit and run and the piece of crap cagers should be in jail right now.

Bikers are tired of dying for Americans right to drive badly.

It's really amazing how bad they let you drive w/o lifting your license right here in the good ol USA as compared to other countries.
No matter what is said or done the road is never gonna be safe for bikes, accidents happen. When they do happen it doesn't matter who's fault it is cause the damage is done. My post was about avoiding the damage by riding defensively and on roads least likely to have incident.
I agree with you that a hit and run driver shouldn't get away, and drivers should be more aware and respectful of bikes. Bottom line the best way to keep yourself safe is to EXPECT cars to hit you! Even still accidents will happen...

Last edited:

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, ya gotta just endure I guess.

I always love the "I didn't see the bike" crap.

OK, then you can't drive anymore.

Why?

You are legally blind. If you can't see a bike going down the street, you are legally blind.

I mean, you have to be able to see the "little e" on the test and that's a whole lot bigger than a Harley going down the road eh?

If the driver ever says "they didn't see the bike" then they don't drive anymore. Period.

If they said they did see the bike, then they should be prosecuted for attempted murder.

Easy. I am sick of this crap.

MotorNut123

Aug 31, 2010
New York
i hate when people are pulling out of somewhere and only look where the traffic is coming their way. i always stop and let them go because you can never trust people. i even have some people see me coming and still pull out in front of me. people need to learn how to drive.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
No, they should not be allowed to drive.

Driving is a privledge. If you suck at it then you don't drive anymore.

Take the bus.

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
i hate when people are pulling out of somewhere and only look where the traffic is coming their way. i always stop and let them go because you can never trust people. i even have some people see me coming and still pull out in front of me. people need to learn how to drive.
I hate this too they never look the other way, if I dont want to wait I go behind them god its annoying

BigE

Nov 5, 2011
Hohenwald, TN. USA
I have seen first hand how it happens. I love bikes and I ride bikes. I have been hit and been down. I almost hit a rider myself when I pulled up to an visually obstructed intersection to stop. After stopping I pulled out and as I did a crotch rocket just barely missed me. When I looked to the left the window post completely blocked where the bike was and I could not see him and my eyesight is fine. It's only because I jammed on brakes and the rider didn't slow down midway that there was no accident. We were both very lucky that day. I always watch for bikes and children but there are occasions when accidents happen. usflg

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
wow sorry about your luck , glad that your mostly ok though.
joke to follow maybe lighten your mood a bit >>>>> maybe you should wear a bullseye not many people hit those very often .

Kahlas

Nov 27, 2011
Illinois
This is a good example why you never move vehicles after an accident. Next time something like this happens just tell them to wait while someone calls the police. It's a hard way to learn a lesson since now you're out the rim and whatever else you had damaged (including bodily harm). Biggest thing I've noticed since starting to ride a MB is that it's not people not seeing me(I use lights even during the day) it's people not realizing I'm going 30 instead of the normal 15 MPH for a pedaled bike.
I have people trying to pass me as soon as the light turns green(illegal to pass in an intersection in Illinois) just because I'm on what they think is a bike. So about half the time I go through intersections I've got a car next to me accelerating as fast as I am. I had one semi honk his air horn(in city limits, again illegal in Illinois) because I swung out to the center of the lane to turn right into a gas station, Mind you I have a brake light and electric turn signals on my bike and signaled and braked early since I knew he was there and was too close for comfort.

Just gotta be extra cautious when you're out on your MB and make sure the other guy doesn't have a chance to get away if you can help it. At bare minimum write down his plate numbers right away.

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Sure hope you or somebody got his plate and discription and you have the name contact infor of a witness. That I beleve in MI is a felony to cause an injury accedent and flee the scene. Being an (Old A$$ man) he probably has decent insurance and I cant see a decent injury lawyer passing a chance like this. If the State wont punish him you damn sure can...

clashed13

Aug 30, 2011
Michigan
I wish I couldbe just popped him in the mouth, and left that wouldve been enough punishment for me to cause I wouldve left happily but then I would cause injury then I could be in trouble.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Sorry to hear it, that driver deserves to get the book thrown at him. I'd have made sure he had a flat and probably gouged his paint for him, if nothing else it could make it a little easier to track them down. For many of us this at time of year drivers aren't even thinking about cyclists, because the temperature is going down. The only thing I could suggest would be adding a reflective vis-vest to your riding wear, if you haven't already. There are a few different styles these days, the one I use is more of a criss-cross of straps, not eh older "mesh vest with stripes" design.
Drivers here are some of the worst in the country. Every now and then the licensing office 'catches' someone issuing licenses they way they do in thier countries, by accepting the 'brown' application form in triplicate or whatever (in Canada, we have different colours to our bills, $20's are mainly green, $50's red, $100's brown). Since moving here to the west coast, I've determined that in this city if drivers are given a choice of merge left or turn off to the right (for example) 3 out of 5 times they'll pick "banana". As in, an answer that doesn't even relate to what's happening or what could/should happen then. And the other drivers will let them and give them room to make it work as often as not. They'll pull U-turns anywhere they please, and try to cross medians rather than go a half block to an exit, and when you approach a roundabout intersection you might as well be riding into a crash scene.