Suggestions on how to clean filings

GoldenMotor.com

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
so my 2 shoe clutch blew up on my s6t and sure enough half of the shoe that broke dug into the cover and now i have filings everywhere, any suggestions on how to clean all the fillings up? im looking into getting the 3 shoe grippa but i dont want to run it untill i know all the filling are gone, has anyone had this issue or have any suggestions on how to clean this mess up? i was thinking a fresh can of brake cleanner as it has lots of pressure to blast all that out but i know brake cleaner sometimes isint good for certain surfaces aspecially if the need to be lubbed as it can eat at certain finishes/coatings or even levae residue behind that will prevent proper lubrication? but at the same time im sure everything will still get lubbed cus its sitting in oil not much of a choice there!

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
i guess i should watch my spelling, pepsodent and a new toothbrush u say bairdco? good to know mayb it will come in handy 20 years from now :p (im still a young pup got all my originals for now)

robin

Nov 15, 2008
Penticton British Columbia Canada
When mine blew up part of the chain link got wedged in the flywheel - no damage was done but i dismantled most of the engine before i found out what it was. The engine acted like it was seized but i knew it wasnt cus the piston and barrel were in perfect shape -- no filings tho.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
yep that was mine as well it was "seized" as well but i knew better from reading on the forum that it was the clutch, i took out the clucth and the clucth basket and i sprayed break cleaner in there and i got it behind the countershaft gear as well and than blew it out with some good old air and i must say its looking pretty clean in there, now im going to change my oil a couple times in a row once i have it all together to eliminate any other filling that might be kicking around although i dont see any theres gotta be at least a couple of those lil guys somewhere, also i ordered the high performance 3 shoe clucth from morinifranco usa im located in Toronto area, anyone have any idea how long these guys take to ship out theyre goods? and any suggestions on instaling this clucth to save me multiple adjustments?

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
From my own experience and personal preference. I think you are running a 50 tooth sprocket and a 26 inch wheel with 10 tooth engine sprocket? I would go with mebbe ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( ) ( / / One 008 shim removed I like to get all the power out of these motors they will give me. So I run a pretty nice stall setting. The more the motor is into its natural power band with the clutch the faster you will get to speed.

The stall is just personal pref really. Some folks might set it lower.

With your S6T stock carb and reeds there should not be any special carb tuning involved I don't think in my own experience. It was my S6S carb for me that I had to play with to get My BoXer bike to cruise slow when I wanted it to.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Just my 2 cents......
For parts cleaning outside of the engine or any parts you removed from the engine use mineral spirits.
For cleaning out the engine with all the "needs to be kept lubricated" parts still inside it use kerosene.
If you want to have a way to spray it like a can of brake cleaner use one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Green-Billet-Aluminum-Reusable-Spray/dp/B002D3WXMU

Harbor Freight used to sell them, but after an exhaustive search on their web site I could not find it. :(

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
nice thanx for the heads up gear nut, ill look into one of those, although its to late for this ocasion i used break cleaner i dont think it should damadge anything i was a little worried about drying up that seal but im sure wen i put the oil in everything should get its proper lubrication, i hope i dont end up regreting my action, any word on how fast the guys at franco morini are with shipping theyre parts?

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
lol im not going to lie i was very dissapointed in the 2 shoe (im sure ur awear this isint a cheap engine, considering i swap car engines for less) and i do see the design flaw were the shoes pivot of the links and understand why it happened considering the engines power and my weight and all the other factors but wow did it ever ruin my day, and yes this new clucth looks like a much better design as it doesnt pivot of nothing and has practically no movings parts besides the little amount of travel allowed by the crushing of the spring washers, so i do think it will be a nice addition to my engine and it will put me in the $1000 range that i have spent on this motor so this damn lil thing better hold up, im still having a hard time accepting the fact that the tiny little clucth is still 70 bucks more than my stage 2 exedy clutch in my legacy gt, but with all that said i do have faith and i do realize im dealing with lil magical engine that as someone on the forum has said "come from the land of ducati and aprilias" but man is it ever hard to swallow and am i ever glad im not in this love hate relationship by myself, at the end of the day its worth seeing people get blown away by what this lil 49 cc bicycle can do :D

maintenancenazi

Oct 22, 2011
Asheville
In the past I've used a strong wet/dry vac, with small diameter sucker tip. Seems to get most of em, then hit it with brake/carb cleaner to get the rest.

spit_fire

Aug 28, 2009
Brampton
should i pree soak the clutch material in oil for a couple hours prior to instalation? i know paper pulp friction material need to soak in oil before being installed in dirtbikes and the same for clutch packs in auto transmissions, although im not to sure what material these clutches are made up off

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
years ago i rebuilt my moto guzzi and was floored to find out that rod bearings were sold in top and bottom's at $32 each! i think a 350 chevy was $27 for the whole motor set. thats alot of vino and pasta. not your HT china though.