Should there be a ground from frame

GoldenMotor.com

gravitty

May 21, 2011
yosemite ca
HAVE A 80CC BIKE BURNT A FEW MAGNETOS ALREADY SHOULD I HAVE A GROUND FROM FRAME TO THE BLACK WIRE FROM MAG/CDI. i HAVE SMALL AMOUNT RUBBER ON MY MOTOR MOUNTS FOR VIBRATION. THANK YOU

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
First of all, no you do not need a seperate ground wire. The engine and ignition system is isolated from the frame and does not need a ground. That is if it is wired correctly.

Second, get rid of the rubber in your engine mounts. It will not stop the vibrations from the engine but will only transfer them to the mount fasteners resulting in failure of the cast aluminum mouts and/or the fasteneres. Mount the engine as solidly to the frame as possible.

Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Yep, also make sure you're white wire is capped and not shorting on something. Your kill switch just splices into the black and blue. You should have a kill switch, just in case your throttle decides to stick open on you one day.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
KC,
That's the way mine was originally but there was always questions about the white wire and those who advocate using it in the kill circuit. Also the ground. People didn't seem to understand that the engine is grounded internally via the black wire. That's why mine was changed. The important thing is; blue to blue and black to black and how to connect the kill switch. Both of our diagrams get those points across.
Thanks.
Tom

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Oh yea, for sure. I was just trying to simplify it back... and save people from duress. The white wire kill will work, I used to have a bare wire on my handlebars, once it was wet though, it gave me a good zap, so I started promoting the bla/blu splice kill, lol, woo too no zap!

Love it or hate it, the graphic works, eh?