Traffic Lights That Don't Trip

GoldenMotor.com

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Because the law allows bicycles to utilize the left turn lane. If you're making a left turn using the crosswalk button you have to wait for two cycles of traffic. It's also dangerous to leave the left turn lane and get to the crosswalk button if you're in front and cars are behind you

As well, this is a problem that doesn't only affect bicycles, but also motorcycles and scooters. There is a great possibility of product innovation through people just tinkering and experimenting different concepts.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Law here in Idaho lets you run a light if it's completely clear and the traffic light is obviously acting as though it was malfunctioning.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I am not saying I'm right, and I'm not telling others to do what I do. I don't wait for red lights when I don't have to. I always check to make sure it is safe to go, and check to make sure no cops are around. As long as the coast is clear, I run the light every time. But, I ride in the shoulder. If I am making a left hand turn and there is a turning lane, I stay between the cars. If there is no turning lane, I get in front of traffic. When that isn't possible, I wait till there is no one behind me.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i was in a left turn lane today, and a cop pulled up alongside of me. when the turn arrow didn't come on for me, i looked over at him and he kinda smiled and said "run it."

see? not all southern california cops are dicks...:)

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Hard to remember what I used to do before I had a motor on my bike- It is just a bicycle after all...... In my area, a bicycle only has to respect pedestrian (foot) traffic. Sidewalks, streets, Hop the curb if you dare- all are fair game.
Sometimes it is nice to live outside of the Metro areas....

-Richard.

-Remember, this is just my situation- just my experience.....

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Idaho's got some good stuff.

Source : http://www.cityofboise.org/Departments/Mayor/PDF/BoiseCyclingSafetyTaskForceFinalReport.pdf

Differentiation in Boise City Code between bicycles and automobiles.

The cycling community is clearly divided on this issue, with some believing that laws governing the behavior of cars and bikes should be identical. The Task Force concluded that Idaho law already treats motorists and cyclists differently (most notably in the so-called “Idaho stop,” which allows cyclists to treat “stop” signs as “yield” signs and red traffic signals as “stop” signs). Moreover, the Task Force largely agrees that bicycles, by nature of their mass, speed, maneuverability and lack of protection for the rider, are sufficiently different from automobiles to deserve separate treatment under the law.