Chopper build

GoldenMotor.com

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I promised a picture of my project when I registered yesterday. Here is what I
have so far. Frame is a Dynacraft (typical chinese quality,this one seems so-so) Motor is Skyhawk GT-5, Motor Mount is welded into frame for 1/2" offset to clear 3" wide rear tire. Grubee HD axle kit less the brake. Wheels are Sun RynoLite double wall black alloy with 14ga DT Swiss stainless spokes. Front
wheel is same with a S/A XFD brake laced in. Triple tree forks with drag bars
will complete the front end. Tires will be 24x3 Thick Bricks front and rear.
Stock tensioner wheel welded to chain stay prevents chain rubbing.
It has been a long slow project to get everything right and welded up.
Not an easy first build but I have learned tons!! Searching this forum has provided the necessary information along the way. Thanks to all.
I'll keep you posted as the build wraps up.
Keeping it low and slow. (Low budget/Slow progress)

Attachments

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
DO you have another pic of the bike showing the whole top tube? Im just curious about the diameter, and signing on to follow>
Cheers

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I'll try to get another picture up in the next day or so. The top tube is approx. 2" in diameter with an oval shape that tapers to a little over an inch to join the seat tube.
Has made mounting the tank fun! Custom brackets will be in order when I get to that point. Thanks for the interest in my build.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
I really wanted to get a tank that better matches the bike and looks more custom. After spending most of the budget on wheels,axles and brakes it's just not possible right now. So.......the factory tank will have to do. I plan on painting it dull aluminum to help jazz it up. One thing I hate is the metal flange seam that looks cheap and un-finished. I kicked around ideas on how to smooth them out or eliminate by cutting and re-welding. None were practical
and would take too much time to still end up with a factory chinese tank.
What I found is a product called "trimloc" that will fit on the tank flange and help cover and finish the sharp metal edge. Got it at McMaster Carr
P/N 24175K12 it's 3/8x1/16. Don't know if any of the othe members have tried this. I paid about $1.00/ft.

Attachments

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Got the seat frame and sissy bar modified and welded over the weekend. Picked up some
vinyl and supplies for finishing the seat. Not much else new right now. Posting latest pics. Gotta' get the Thick Bricks on order! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Worked on finishing up the last bit of welding(tensioner bracket)and shaping and upholstering the seat. I tried everything to eliminate the tensioner but with the motor offset to clear the tire, the chain rubbed the stay. I'll bet the guy that designed the stock tentioner giggles to himself at the thought of us MB'ers going over the handlebars when it rotates into the spokes! Getting a little closer all the time. Should be done in time to ride by summer.

Attachments

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Thanks. I've been trying to work out how to mount the tank on the oversize tubing. Wanted something clean looking. Tank studs are not long enough to reach. I settled on welding the bracket on the top tube and will cut off the extra stud length which will clean up the look with no bolts and brackets hanging below the level of the tube. This will eliminate the tank ever moving or slipping. I got the idea from searching this forum. Thanks to all!
The two things that have made this build possible are this forum, and my Hobart MIG. Bike would have gone into the dumpster without the info. from here.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Not a whole lot new to report, sanded the frame down and welded the tank mounts in place and primered the whole frame. Worked on painting the tank and seat frame to match. I did not like the color (aluminum) that I originally picked and decided on a metal gray color that kinda looks like raw iron.
I'm painting the frame semi-flat black this weekend. I really don't like painting.
I find more ways to mess it up than you can imagine. Can't wait to start bolting it all together!
Thanks.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Well the chopper is starting to look like something now. I was welding up my offset intake last night and had a couple of people stop to ask what I was making. When I showed them they were like "thats koool". I'll post some pics before long. Right now I'm keeping it under wraps until it's done.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Waiting for the last of the parts to arrive. Crank set and the Thick Bricks. Fabbing the intake was the last major hurdle. Intake sets the carb level and as close as possible at an outward angle to clear the seat post so I can run the SBP air cleaner that I just got.
I'll give a sneak peek Monday. I won't get my parts in time to finish this weekend.

Lowandslow

Jan 24, 2011
Mesa,AZ
Well not much happened on the bike over the weekend. Had some other things that ate up most of my time. But I promised a sneak peek so here it is for those that are interested. I'm still waiting on the wide crank and tires.

Attachments