Poo Poo Pipe

GoldenMotor.com

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
I think that's what the exhaust was called... right?

Anyways, I want to make my bike quieter and I heard that the poo poo exhaust which is the one that looks like a regular stock exhaust, but at the end, instead of just the short outlet, it's long and reaches the back of the bike or something.

I think that's the one, or maybe it's a different one.

Does anyone happen to know which one of these shops sell it, and if they ship to Australia?
It's a lot of emails to send, and a lot of time to wait for replies; just thought someone here might have some experience already and know which of them stock this and ships internationally.

Which brings to question 2, which of these ship to Australia? Just for future references.
I know Blow By U does; got my engine from them, though having to pay for insurance wasn't fun... :(

bitsnpieces

Dec 9, 2010
Melbourne, AUS
eBay didn't come up any results for me, and not sure how to look up vendors; tried typing their name in.

Anyways, looked around online and see that the poo poo pipe isn't necessarily the answer to a quieter engine.

Something to do with the tip I guess?
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=1457

Any suggestions would be good; but first I need a tip for my current exhaust as it fell off...

I'll have to try doing the attaching a can on the end trick in the mean time...

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
There are at least two different longer pipes. First, there is the 'Poo poo' and second you have an even longer, pipe longer and muffler is twice as long as the 'poo poo' some call it 'Long pipe'.

D4NK

Jan 24, 2011
Torrance, CA
Anyone know how these effect performance? Better than stock?

I want a performance exhaust but would like to keep it quiet.

mybike

Jan 19, 2011
bella vista ar
I made my own pipe. 1. Cut flange from old muffler. 2 get a piece of 3/4 conduit $3.00) bend with pipe bender to get arch for under crank set. ( i bent mine at lowes where i got my emt with a bender they had for sale. Salesman told me i could. I had cardboard pattern.) 3. Weld flange on pipe at correct angle etc. Install. 4. Heat pipe to tweak the contours to fit bike like you want. ( i used a little bottle torch with mapp gas) 5. Went by a muffler shop got a scrap piece of 2" tailpipe (new) approx 14 " long. (free) 6. Remove guts for pattern from stock muffler and made new set of guts to go into piece tail pipe. I made new pipe inside muffler out of 1/2" pipe. 12-
1/8" holes in each section i cut 1 end of tailpipe to a 45* angle for looks. Weld tailpipe to emt 7. Wrap steel wool around pipe with all the wholes. Install in tailpipe piece and secure with a screw. 8. Make bracket at muffler to support muffler.
Exhaust port to muffler 34" muffler 13 1/2".
No noticeable loss of power and not to loud.
Paint with high heat paint.
My bike

pinjas

Nov 27, 2010
St. paul, MN
I've been trying to do research on making a very quiet motor bicycle setup. As suggested here, a long pipe is the way to go. Would a regular car muffler be any better? I have also imagined making a muffler in a fashion similar to how your intestins might like, really curvy. A lot of length in a short space, I imagine there is a reason why that isn't done, I just don't know what it is.

I am interested in making the exhaust very quiet but I have also read about the intake being loud. Over-all, I'd curious about making a motor bicycle as quiet as possible. Something I have wondered several times, would it make more sense to get a specifically sized motor when noise is something to consider? I am not entirely sure how to explain this. Would a smaller motor at higher RPM be better than a larger motor at lower RPM? Comparatively, a 25cc, 50cc, and 75cc motor all making the same bike with the same rider go 20MPH, which would make less noise?

I hope I am not taking this thread too far off course.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
This has been discussed, as for engine size, doesn't matter. Weed wackers are pretty loud and are quite small, so are model airplane motors.
The longer the exhaust = the quieter, the more sound absorbing/ deflecting material the better. Forget car mufflers.
Intake roar can be muted too.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Here's mine-

it's a long one- and I had to cut it to fit-

it's meant to fit OVER the bottom bracket, which leaves little clearance- it only fits that way if the angle is perfect- and good luck!

the extension is can aluminum wrapped and clamped with worm clamps

It is DEFINITELY more quiet, and doesn't seem to affect performance

Got it from boygofast, there or luckyyearlybird on ebay- if it's not listed you have to query them (about something else) but they usually have most things in stock whether they are listed or not- about $50 shipped.

I've seen another that bends and runs even deeper- and is more expensive about 75 before shipping. haven't seen it for awhile though- on ebay
here's where it was "livefastmotors" on ebay- they used to have a lot listed, and only one item now- don't know if they're phasng out or will be back:http://stores.ebay.com/Livefastmotors

I might try to make another one myself- a long run will help I'm sure, but so does a long muffler- I've seen pipes pictured here made from FLEXIBLE conduit or gas pipe that doesn't require a pipe bender- and I might try that on a later build-

good luck

Attachments

Last edited:

buzbikebklyn1

Jun 3, 2009
Brooklyn N.Y.
I made my muffler out of 2 cheap stainless steel thermos's.
I removed the plastic cup part and the stopper from the larger one, then cut a large hole in the bottom to fit the smaller one inside,
I then welded the cup/cap to the main body of the can, cutting a 1" hole in the top for the pipe and welding a short nipple on to it.
I then drilled over 100 symmetric holes into the smaller thermos and drilled a 1" hole in the bottom.
I wrapped the smaller thermos in steel wool and bolted it into the larger can.The exiting gasses flow into the main can, through the steel wool and holes and exit the end of the small can or "baffle".
Very low restriction, great sound dampening and its durable/re packable/tunable.

Were kinda spoiled by the 2 stroke expansion pipes...
in all there iterations-
As a rule of thumb the longer the head pipe the better the torque and lower the top end will be and vice a versa...
the shorter the head pipe before the expansion chamber(in the case of an extra long muffler or expansion chamber) the higher the top end and lower the torque.
I've been using longer and shorter head pipes for years to alter the power curve of my 2 strokes.
Just keep checking the plug and make sure your getting a nice and dry healthy dark brown to dark tan plug insulator.
Get your carb mix right (less air more fuel) longer more restrictive pipes tend to run hotter, so enrichen the carb up first then back it down leaner till you like the power delivery and the right color on the plug.
Remember, every combination requires different settings...Got a good low restriction air cleaner? following the same construction techniques i made a very quiet intake can/air filter that's easy on the wallet.
Easy in, easy out i always say.
Good luck.
BBB

Last edited: