Feedback request for these blue Lipo batteries

GoldenMotor.com

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
KIm has a far more advanced Managment system on his cruiser, I will let him elaborate on his specifics of his set up.

Cheers Thuster ;-) Yes i run what are refrred to as paralle adapter boards with lvc (low voltage cuttoff protection) I also have me Castle Creations hv160 esc programmed to cutoff if and when the batteries ever dip below 38v mark. The boards i use allow you to plug all the balance taps from every pack to the board, thus leaving one balance lead for the packs connected to that board. Without these paralle adapter boards, You cant parallel balance taps AND then series the discharge leads of the packs the taps will litterall vaporizer as 22v surges through the tiny wires. The method Thud uses for monitoring the packs is also excellent way to go and widely used. The disadvantag is you must reconfigure your pack when charging and discharging, with the paralle boards you dont. If you wish to try my method the parallel adapter boards are ~15 bucks IIRC and you will need to assemble them, they come with extremely easy to follow construction pictures even a person with the very basic soldering skills should have no trouble assembling them. GGoodrum from Endless Sphere forums manufactures the boards they are available from Tppacks.com

KiM

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Ya, I understand the cowboy style all too well. At 67 I've been forced to give it up.
Got off easier than KIM. I just walk slow and funny that's why the sidecar.

I think of this as a fancy mobility scooter. Got everything from Justin at e-bikes,ca but he is out of lithium poly batteries and it may be a while before he gets more.
This is a fresh build so the slate is clean.

Thanks, you have helped.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
KiM, thanks for your reply also. I understand what you are saying about your approach over Thuds.
The one thing I learned to do in school was solder so that won't be a problem. Sent to a vocational/trade school at 13 so I could learn a trade and not be a leech on society. Dispite what my inlaws said, it worked.

As I understand from Thud it's 8 packs in groups of 2 to form 4 packs and these 4 are hooked to the board to give you the desired battery. Sounds just like what I am looking for. I'll comb ES for more info and will order the board as you have suggested.

Thank you

Steve.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
As I understand from Thud it's 8 packs in groups of 2 to form 4 packs and these 4 are hooked to the board to give you the desired battery. Sounds just like what I am looking for. I'll comb ES for more info and will order the board as you have suggested.
This is indeed correct if your running the 44v setups, which is the maximum you can run if using rc esc's like Castle Creations HV series escs, reason being they have a max operational voltage of 50v they won't arm at anything over i think 50.5 or 6v (please feel free to correct me on this, i know its close to the 50v mark either way) There is a couple of options though Eddy, the way you describe is how i go about it as its easy with the lvc parallel boards to do this, others also parallel all their packs (Thud likely does it this way?) (if using 22v 5000mah packs as being discussed) we would parallel two equal number of packs, for example if we had 8 packs we would wire 2 groups of , 4x 22v packs in parallel...this would give us 22v 20ah you would then take the 2 22v 20ah 'packs' and series them up for your 44v 20ah setup...i don't think there is really a convincing argument for either method but the second is more favorable if you are reconfiguring for charging and discharging, all you do is parallel all 8 packs up and use a meanwell 24 volt charger to bulk charge all 8 packs at once heck, lipos can be charged fast as ThudSTeR mentions above, you can parallel the Meanwells up too and get some very fast charging time, high 'c' rate lipos don't break a sweat fast charging them in 40 minutes ...then though you must, re-configure back to series/parallel for discharge, only means swapping two wires but some still get it wrong and get KFF (kentucky fried fingers) :)

all i can say the more i study Kims bike the more impressed i am, very very very nice work kim, you and i should hang sometime...

if you dont mind, where did you get the jack drive system?
Cheers mate, if your ever in the land of West OZ drop me a line and we can definately catch up for a brew and you can try out the cruiser for yourself, i let anyone (within reason) ride it, it was built to use and abuse as well as look prurty LoL...

The reduction drive is a single stage unit made by Endless Sphere forum member (and Motorbicycling.com member also now) Recumpence aka Matt Shumaker... he IMO (and most others) the pioneer of the use of these type motors in e-bikes, he supplies everything from the reduction drives to Astro motors, controllers, throttle, interfaces and mounting hardware, he does the lot if you have the $$$ i won't **** you it is expensive gear but its also the best money can buy, there is also a wait time on some of these items, this is Matts hobby also not his fulltime job, i can assure you i haven't heard a bad word about Matt hes a lovely fella, and/or his products they are all top notch cnced from billet alluminium. Not sure what he charges for the single stage unit these days, its in the vacinty of US200 bucks he also does a two stage reduction and also twin motored reduction drives if your looking for near 30hp e-bike setupz :: druuuuuel:: Thanks again for the kind words mate always appreciated :)

KiM

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Kim, thank you. KFF, yep been there and then I found that leads to the Holy S**t dance
around where ever you're standing.

Castle Creations has dealers here in Vancouver BC so I'm going to call one close to me and get the ball rolling to see if they can get some for me, then I'll call and get the boards from tppacks.com.

Steve.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
Thank You Kim - just so you know where im coming from and the seriousness i take cycles, you can pretty much tell from the projects we build. Thank You Sir, i definetly would love to sit and have beer with you while talking shop...

these are my electric and gas projects...
Excellent rides there Allen top job mate! Have you a build log thread by chance would like to check it out if you have mate?
The lil pocket bike fairing, i had one just like it considered using it myself i think it would be definitely make a difference
at speed, i thought it would also create 'shadow' to place my LCD monitoring screen under so its easily viewable in the sun.

Kim, thank you. KFF, yep been there and then I found that leads to the Holy S**t dance
around where ever you're standing.

Castle Creations has dealers here in Vancouver BC so I'm going to call one close to me and get the ball rolling to see if they can get some for me, then I'll call and get the boards from tppacks.com.

Steve.
Its not so much the hurt but the 'shock' of it (not electrical shock the surprise) that scares the crap outta me, only 44v but it makes a freakin BANG and a big spark. LOL, connecting some wires you get that feeling like when you have set a rat trap and are about to release it on the ground half anticipating the SNAP but never quite ready for it if it does happen hehehehe LoL@"Holy S**t dance"

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
You so right about the rat trap. You know its going but jump when it does.
That is along the lines of working in your shop late at night and your mate stops in to see you unannounced and just as you are ready to touch the welding torch to the work you spent all day lining up so it would be perfect, says "HI" and the whole works hits the floor.
It has been my personally studied observation that said friend cannot carry enough beer on his physical person to make amends. This is of course providing the no good SOB was able to give you the slip in the dark of night when you were trying to kill him the night before.

Just called about the batteries. Purchase price and tax is $810. That kind of slows thing up at the moment. so I'm going to have to see what's an alternative so I can get the bike running and sorted out. May buy a 10ah premade pack and if it looks like the bike will handle well, tranfer that pack to the bike my brother now wants to build.

Steve.

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
My 44v 20ah Turnigy pack cost lil over half that from Hobby King...22v 5000mah packs are 50 bucks a pop, you could get by easily with 6 of them for 15ah pack, with postage a 10ah pack works out lil over 250 bucks U.S

KiM

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
i watched the tv show about the creations of the orange county choppers folks - since we are all along the lines of the electric bike, this one broke the record, 7.7 seconds on a 1/4 mile track which was 168 mph. they broke the record...

the electric motor is 300 pounds of weight, i just thought this was interesting...

i understand you folks are a bit about the 48 volt 100 watt electric motor, im curiouse. the bike im building is a 36 volt 500 watt, but its only purpose is to do a 1/8 mile run, as fast as it can. obviously the 48 volt 100 watt will go faster, but its more like a time bomb. is that what im understanding what you good folks are talking about...

im starting with the 36 volt for testing, then on up to the 72 volt motor. thats my goal at least...

any suggestion would be greatly appreciated, and i know Kim is the man when it comes to knowing what hes talking about.

Attachments

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
I dunno about that honestly i am a electronics noob compared to most on ES hahaha... you missed a '0' off the 100watt there too buddy ::wink:: we well "i" anywayz Thuds after even more power than i hes a crazy mofo LoL are about 48v and 10 000watt not 100watt LoL massive difference, one you could crawl faster than the other you would need a car to catch LoL... The motor will likely handle the 72v for 1/8 mile what you need is a controller that will handle the 72v a controller made for 36v will pop pretty quick ;-) If i could get off the line quick i could cover 1/8 mile in ~7 second maybe less the rc esc only downfall is starting from a dead stop, they dont do so well, you need to have the motor spin over a few times before any load is put on it if you do it shudders and squeals while it tries to sync...

The episode of OCC i actually created a thread about it week ago after the first part of the 2 part episode over on Endless Sphere, is great to see the Killa Cycle finally be knocked off the top, competition is always healthy, they are closing in on the Nitro Harleys 6 second times slowly but surely, the amazing thing is, i seen Killacycle run against a Nitro Harley it lost, but the rider road it back from the finish line lined up straight away and pulled another sub 8 second run withing minutes of the first, dunno if you guys are into drag racing i love it myself and am at the nmeets regular, but a nitro harley requires a full engine strip down between runs and a lot of dollars each run, Killa cycle used less than 20cents of electricity to pull 2 sub 8 second passes back to back...and some people say leckies are slow hehehe...

KiM

Last edited:

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
im definetely into drag racing - love the ideal that electric to be the answer to racing and alternative power of transportations. i wont say i'll ever come up with something that hasnt been invinted yet. but i just want to have fun with whats out there.

no record breakers for me, just the thrill of riding something unique and powerful.

your right kim, i did forget the 0 on the watts, 48 volt 1000 watts - are you saying that i can use the 38 volt motor and dump 72 volts of electric dc to it? internesting...

my drag RC truck was a 9 wind electric motor with 12 volt battery pack, in a 132 foot staight away it pulled 52 mph, not bad for a 1/10 scale vehicle. but your right the speed controller was set up for drag racing and could handle max 20 volts. is there such a speed controller for the bike, 72 volt dump to an electric motor?

by the way i really appreciate your help - im new to the electric field, so forgive my lack of of knowledge in this area... but im eager to learn cause i believe in it to the max...

KiM

May 5, 2010
Australia
your right kim, i did forget the 0 on the watts, 48 volt 1000 watts -
Actually my mistake....you actually missed two '0's not one LoL 10 000watts

are you saying that i can use the 38 volt motor and dump 72 volts of electric dc to it? internesting...
Well...it will run it its question for how long, for 1/8mile though i would think it would handle it, only one way to find out for sure ...give it a whirl, I would perhaps suggest ramping it up lil at a time i.e 36-->48---60-->72 and see how it goes heat wise, heats your killer if you can keep it cool your good to go.

there is speed controllers that will dump 100's of volts into electric motors if you have the $$ for them LoL...Most on ES use Infineons they are pretty cheap, PM ES forum member Lyen, he does the best Infineons, build them individually with top mofsets etc, you can get 72v versions for 12fet, 18fet and 24fet he does a 36fet ithink is good for 100v or more also they are HUGE though...I have a 12fet here i broke was going to try it on my Turnigy since found they aint upto it though... Kelly controllers are quality but price i used one on my first build

Hub & Wheel Motor Controller | EV Parts

by the way i really appreciate your help - im new to the electric field, so forgive my lack of of knowledge in this area... but im eager to learn cause i believe in it to the max...
No worries mate, i'm challenged when it comes to anything electronic myself trust me, absolutely hopeless, if this stuff was difficult i wouldnt be able to do it, i can solder and know a capacitor from a resitor but thats about the ends of my knowledge LoL Will help when i can though :) i would strongly urge to join Endless Sphere if you haven't already, if theres anything you need to know it will be there and if its not its not worth knowing LoL..

best of luck buddy :)

KiM

allen_okc

Aug 18, 2010
oklahoma city, oklahoma
thank you again Sir - the price is high but not out of reach. im gonna try what i have for now while breaking the scooter in - i have confidence in the structure of the bike, but action will tell all of the little problems the frame structure will have at first, once they are corrected then im gonna beef up the power system.

they have what i need at the link you gave me, and again thank you...

SoMoney

Dec 5, 2010
Temecula
Hey Guys, thought I'd start out my 1st post here since the subject is close to my heart. I'm an RC Hobby freak and literally have 4 x Turnigy 5000MAH 6S1P 25C 22.2v batteries that aren't doing anything (along with many 2S, 3S, 4S 5Ah packs)... Being that "I gotta try everything ONCE", do you think I could build these 4 6S packs into a 12S2P 44.4V 10Ah pack for the occasional 1-5mi trip around town?

I weigh about 300lb +/- 50lb and want something that will handle some hills so I beleive 48V 500W minimum is in order. What say you all?

zpt

SoMoney

Dec 5, 2010
Temecula
Question regarding best use for one of those 48V 500W ebay hub motors with those "blue Lipo batteries" (Place in trash is not acceptable answer ;) )
4 x Turnigy 5000MAH 6S1P 25C 22.2v batteries.
--------------------------------------------------
3 in Parallel would equal 15Ah 22.2v
+
1 in Series would equal 15Ah 44.4v???????????
--------------------------------------------------

Normally I would 2x2 the packs and built a 44.4v 10Ah 12S2P pack. Would it be crazy to place the 3packs in parallel +1 in series to bring the voltage up to 44v? Would the Ah bump up to 15Ah or be reduced to the lowest cell 5Ah across the board?

I'm Not sure how to calculate Lipo math when mixing parallel and series together...

Last edited: