Goats Head

GoldenMotor.com

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
big thanks for the link. we here in oklahoma seemed to be hit hard this year - im running the Kenda Flame tires 2.25 with the bell puncture proof tubes, yeah right and a little mix of slime, very messy and with all that a single thorn got me.

when i look at my car tires which seem to care less about the thorns, it makes me wonder why oh why there is no thick rubber bicycle tire that can handle it - although the kenda tire is of excellent quality it didnt help.
In goathead country (New Mexico for instance), the default preventive measure is thorn resistant tubes plus Slime. This prevents some punctures and seals most of the remainder well enough to get you through a long ride.

Goatheads are one of those puncture hazards for which there is only one really effective defense-- tread thickness. Kevlar belts don't help, because they are woven, and the tiny thorn just pokes through the weave. Tire liners only help to the degree that they increase the thickness between thread surface and tube. Car and truck tires fend off goatheads because they are many times thicker than the length of a goathead's thorns.

The best puncture prevention I have found yet is a thick rubber-belted tire, like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (which is expensive), Michelin Pilot City (less expensive), and CST Salvo (very inexpensive for what it is, about $20). All these tires have a 3/16" to 1/4" thick belt of rubber under the tread rubber, to serve as a simple physical barrier to small sharp objects. This belt is made of a different material than tread rubber, for a couple of reasons. First, long-wearing and high traction tread rubber causes a lot of rolling resistance if it's too thick. The rubber belts of these armored tires are made of high rebound material that doesn't carry as much of a rolling resistance penalty. Also, tread rubber is designed to grip, which makes it grip and retain penetrating objects that can continue to work their way deeper. The non-traction rubber armor belt helps to eject thorns and slivers as it rolls.

Marathon Plus HS 348 | Schwalbe North America
Michelin Pilot City 26" Tire - Outside Outfitters
CST Salva Tire 26x1.75 Reflective, Steel Bead - AEBike.com

For maximum puncture paranoia, you could combine one of these heavy but excellent tires with a thick thorn resistant tube and Slime. By that time, I reckon tire liners would do more harm than good-- they harm ride quality, add more rolling resistance, and can even chafe holes in a normal weight inner tube.

Chalo

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I had my thick tubes on many a bald tire protect from way more than a goat head! Razzer blade , and glass for instance. That got me to an air station and another 75 miles! Till I fixed it right .

Yet I gotta say that's me with the 10mm slits. I did that on my own risk can't recommend that folks try it. Just getting a my views out. At some point use good judgment get a new tire and tube. Uber speeds or just plain riding on any kind of bike is kinda silly just plain wrong if the tire is severely compromised! Especially a front tire!

I don't recommend tires liners for that very same reason., and yes with enough tread one could get away with no slime.

Slime is the shizizile no doubt about it in my world.

I recommend it for a lot more than Goat Heads!! I ride my tires until the tubes start showing. I get my moneys worth. That's just me and no lie. If the tube is not injured I reuse it! I think slime gets better with age. I have tubes with 10,000 miles on them! Just to see how far they will go! The tubes have stress cracks on them dried out. Now I am going to start taking pictures of my old tires and tubes and put here.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
In goathead country (New Mexico for instance), the default preventive measure is thorn resistant tubes plus Slime. This prevents some punctures and seals most of the remainder well enough to get you through a long ride.

Goatheads are one of those puncture hazards for which there is only one really effective defense-- tread thickness. Kevlar belts don't help, because they are woven, and the tiny thorn just pokes through the weave. Tire liners only help to the degree that they increase the thickness between thread surface and tube. Car and truck tires fend off goatheads because they are many times thicker than the length of a goathead's thorns.

The best puncture prevention I have found yet is a thick rubber-belted tire, like the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (which is expensive), Michelin Pilot City (less expensive), and CST Salvo (very inexpensive for what it is, about $20). All these tires have a 3/16" to 1/4" thick belt of rubber under the tread rubber, to serve as a simple physical barrier to small sharp objects. This belt is made of a different material than tread rubber, for a couple of reasons. First, long-wearing and high traction tread rubber causes a lot of rolling resistance if it's too thick. The rubber belts of these armored tires are made of high rebound material that doesn't carry as much of a rolling resistance penalty. Also, tread rubber is designed to grip, which makes it grip and retain penetrating objects that can continue to work their way deeper. The non-traction rubber armor belt helps to eject thorns and slivers as it rolls.

Marathon Plus HS 348 | Schwalbe North America
Michelin Pilot City 26" Tire - Outside Outfitters
CST Salva Tire 26x1.75 Reflective, Steel Bead - AEBike.com

For maximum puncture paranoia, you could combine one of these heavy but excellent tires with a thick thorn resistant tube and Slime. By that time, I reckon tire liners would do more harm than good-- they harm ride quality, add more rolling resistance, and can even chafe holes in a normal weight inner tube.

Chalo
I do suspect folks using slime where they live might not encounter my characteristics? Why my tubes encounter so many Goat heads. That the slime prolly gets even better and thicker in my tubes. I have truly survived many a ten millimeter slit cut on a bald tire [no not on just one tire obliviously I changed it] with said cut in the tube as well and road on into the sunset. You simply cannot do that with a paper thin tube.

The thing to do when encountering a puncture is to ride on to an air station re air it get it fixed right. Why it seals the puncture. In which case as I have stated I went on another 75 miles till I fixed it right and not because it was leaking. sure slow leak but not a scary one. Very doable.

Yet I gotta say that's me with the 10mm slits. I did that on my own risk can't recommend that folks try it. Just getting my views out. At some point use good judgment get a new tire and tube. Uber speeds or just plain riding on any kind of bike is kinda silly just plain wrong if the tire is severely compromised!

Where slime was introduced to me was years ago in the oldest shop in town.http://maps.google.com/maps?expIds=...esult&ct=image&resnum=2&sqi=2&ved=0CBoQnwIwAQ The guy had a bicycle tire [BMX]. He took a 2x4 with nails in it presented to puncture the tire. Then spun it, even ran a soap bottle at it to prove it sealed up. He let every one examine it. This was his demo.

Slime will not work when the nail gets all the way to the rim. Why? The said stuff does not reach there.

I have had this discussion before here a lot was said... MotoredBikes.com: Motorized Bicycle Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Chalo I suspect you are not familiar with slime? You left out just how well this stuff works why?

Ok I use mountain bike tires not those really thin tires on tour bikes there may be something there to that? Those go in my own don't use category any way. Like http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/..._campaign=PCGOOGLEBASE2KX&codesProcessed=true. Not picking on this tire in particular just need an example of a tiny tire.

I like to run 26x2.7 tires while I have run into problems with frame clearance and had to run a smaller tire. I have gone to bike shops and been offered before a tube that was clearly too small and told by some bike geek that they use them all the time. That tube is a blow out waiting to happen I guarantee it!!! Also if the tube does not blow out you have a paper thin tube now. [get it?]

The tube should be relatively the same size as the tire the closer to that the better.

The reason I speak up for this product is I want others to be as lucky as me. I am not endorsing anything here.[well I guess that's what I doing] Come one guy's?

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I tried them all growing up. When I say they is stickers here oh yeah! Did the Fix-O-Flat. First started using it on the basket balls. Ya haven't jammed a thumb yet wait till it comes after ya full of them stickers! Even tried half and Half milk. Oh boy wait till it's time to work on that'n. Have not used anything else in 30 years now. We got a going joke at one of my buddies house's when things go to getting real ornery. Go fight in the gavel where them stickers are that'l get it out of your system

I am the great Goat Herder [Cornholio too but don't tell anyone]
I use the Cornspugy Mold with no tire liners ether.

Attachments

tullyamo

Aug 29, 2010
Washington
I've put on 35 miles this past week to and from work and to a few church members houses. I am thankful for the slime as I check the pressure on my tires both bike and suv daily. Goat heads BLOW. pulled the front tire of the bike and checked the tube... brand new tube with the extra slime from Monday was the install date. I pulled out with teasers from the inside of the tires 56 goat head thorns that have made it through the tire and into the tube. The tube is holding up pressure like a champ though cover in green on the outside and after doing a little air lead test in the water basin outside, I am happy to report not a single bubble was found. ^^ Too bad I can't say the same for my suv tires.... 4 Times in the past 6months I have been to Les Scwab and paid the 5.00 for them to patch my tire. I was considering putting slime in the auto tires next although I haven't read anything about putting them in a tubeless tire. I live in Yakima, Wa., where goat heads are EVERYWHERE including my front yard which is mowed every 3 days. I live in the city in a neighborhood of over 300 homes and the majority of people are complaining of goat head this year. Poor kiddos come inside with little heads in their feet from playing in the back yard. Anywho, slime is working so far.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Tullyamo sad to say it may not work out well in the winter there with the cars . That stuff might turn into a block of ice inside the tires. Makes a wicked tire out of balance situation.

I have road a bike through every winter here with out that problem. I like to run high end down hill forks mainly because I am six feet tall. Most bikes are geared toward shorter people. I like my peddle cranks a bit out from under me.

What I was getting at I don't leave my bikes outside I bring them in lol.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Chalo I suspect you are not familiar with slime? You left out just how well this stuff works why?
I once had I bike I rode every day for a year and a half without even taking the wheels off, thanks to Slime. But it's still fair to say Slime only turns a fast leak into a slow one. And come time to patch the tube, it's a huge pain in the rear. And it clogs valve stems, and it horks up pumps something terrible.

Ok I use mountain bike tires not those really thin tires on tour bikes there may be something there to that?
MTB tires are every bit as thin between the knobs as a road bike tire, if not thinner. It's the thin spots that count-- when was the last time you got a puncture through the middle of a knob?

I like to run 26x2.7 tires while I have run into problems with frame clearance and had to run a smaller tire. I have gone to bike shops and been offered before a tube that was clearly too small and told by some bike geek that they use them all the time. That tube is a blow out waiting to happen I guarantee it!!!
A tire like the Schwalbe Big Apple, that is basically the same thickness all the way across the tread, would be more resistant to flats than a super knobby with a larger width. If you doubt it, take one of your worn-out tires and cross-section it to get a load of how thin a knobby really is in between the knobs.

I always encourage my customers to buy a tube at least one size above what their tire indicates, such that it is barely stretched when inflated. That helps with pinhole punctures like goatheads, but it helps even more with pinch flats.

Chalo

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I once had I bike I rode every day for a year and a half without even taking the wheels off, thanks to Slime. But it's still fair to say Slime only turns a fast leak into a slow one. And come time to patch the tube, it's a huge pain in the rear. And it clogs valve stems, and it horks up pumps something terrible.

MTB tires are every bit as thin between the knobs as a road bike tire, if not thinner. It's the thin spots that count-- when was the last time you got a puncture through the middle of a knob?

A tire like the Schwalbe Big Apple, that is basically the same thickness all the way across the tread, would be more resistant to flats than a super knobby with a larger width. If you doubt it, take one of your worn-out tires and cross-section it to get a load of how thin a knobby really is in between the knobs.

I always encourage my customers to buy a tube at least one size above what their tire indicates, such that it is barely stretched when inflated. That helps with pinhole punctures like goatheads, but it helps even more with pinch flats.

Chalo
I ride my tires till they are bald man. Balds is bald . In 30 years I never messed up a tire gauge our a pump. I am glad you brought that up!:) Folks should understand that this stuff plugs holes The valve core should never be messed with in any manner unless your at the10 O clock or higher position.

In which case the valve core can be easily cleaned up! Simply Remove the core clean it off put it back in.:)

The Quote on thin tires of me is misconstrued. I run my tires until they are bald. With no problems what so ever.

It is not fair at all what so ever to say that slime will not plug a hole . It plugs holes perfectly with no leaks at all. Ok if you park the bike for like a month or two maybe. In which case simply air up the tire and ride the bike it is really that simple.

I think some of your incite and comparisons are getting mixed up with those paper thin tubes?

At this point after what I have gone out of my way to clear up. Anyone that uses a paper thin tube deserves a flat. Anyone that Horks there tire pump deserves that too.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
But it's still fair to say Slime only turns a fast leak into a slow one.

Chalo

Why is this not fair? Let me fill in the blanks. I love it;) The way a slime tube works is you are supposed to ride your bike. The more you ride it the more it seals. Something like a couple of nail punctures seal up from fibers and liquid impacting around the leak. The more you ride the better it seals.

If you park the bike long enough say a weak or a month the tire is likely to get soft. The cure for this is very simple air it up and ride the bike. I have tubes that have survived Goat Heads for up to 10,000 miles and no patches what so ever. No that is not nails that is stickers. Moderate nails it will still go a very long long time!! I don't patch a slime tube. Glue will never take

My said 10 mm slits that occurred got me to an air station. I re aired the tire now leaking slower. Got home re aired it again road more. Then presto it stopped leaking all together because I was constantly riding. Until I parked the bike for awhile. That would have worked for up too two weaks easily till I got my pay check to fix it right.

Yet I gotta say that's me with the 10mm slits. I did that on my own risk can't recommend that folks try it. Just getting my views out. At some point use good judgment get a new tire and tube. Uber speeds or just plain riding on any kind of bike is kinda silly just plain wrong if the tire is severely compromised!

You are not going to patch a slime tire [think nail to the rim]. Carry a paper thin preslimed tube as a spare for extreme riding. I for the record have never carried a spare tube. The only thing that has ever stranded me was a nail to the rim. Three times in my life time in an estimated well over 67,000 miles of pure slime tube joy!

Hope this helps folks who might be confused about what I mean at this point.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
TBH, ppl have brought up good, valid points - excepting a region prone to such extremes as the Goat Head plague you refer to, they're sufficient enough reasons for people to consider not filling their tubes with goo.

Personally - I would also rather not, I'm quite well satisfied with my cheap but THICK cruiser tires, despite the fact I run over drywall screws (marina, all over the lot frm shrinkwrap season), random roadside debris & ofc the scrap metal pile at work (in my way so I bomb right through it).

I've over 3500 miles on the same set of tires, same set of tubes and I've not had a single flat (OMG jinx lol) - so while you may indeed find the Slime to be beneficial with your particular & extreme circumstances, it may be simply excessive and unnecessary for most *shrug*

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
In 30 years I never messed up a tire gauge our a pump. I am glad you brought that up!:) Folks should understand that this stuff plugs holes The valve core should never be messed with in any manner unless your at the10 O clock or higher position.
You remember until you forget. Or maybe a customer doesn't think to mention that his tubes are full of pump-damaging sputum. Or maybe you just have a good old fashioned blowout and the dayglo green stuff decorates your leg/three-piece suit/smiling face. Anyway, a substance that can stay fluid, but still clog an air leak, is pretty nasty in any context but actively clogging an air leak.

The Quote on thin tires of me is misconstrued. I run my tires until they are bald. With no problems what so ever.
Some of us consider the lousy ride quality of a tire with a tire liner to be a problem. That problem would be one that doesn't go away even in your best case scenario.

It is not fair at all what so ever to say that slime will not plug a hole . It plugs holes perfectly with no leaks at all. Ok if you park the bike for like a month or two maybe. In which case simply air up the tire and ride the bike it is really that simple.
I have had them ooze in front of my eyes while in the service stand. I've picked at a tuft of crud on a tire, only to discover that it's a tuft of Slime fibers, and me messing with it made the tire deflate. And of course, when somebody gets a tire cut or other problem that Slime can't plug up, there is a nasty mess to deal with.

I remember when I ued to do roadside motorcycle flat fixes with Fix-A-Flat. I knew that my tire guy would charge me extra to clean out the mess, but I also knew it was cheaper than a tow. So far, I haven't charged anyone extra to clean up their green spew. But I have resented it nonetheless.

Anyone that Horks there tire pump deserves that too.
Remember, nobody ever says, "I contaminated my tubes with pump-clogging funk" when they bring their bike in for service. At least 19 out of every 20 customers don't have that mess in there. So you are suggesting that I always take the extra steps to treat everybody's tire as if it had crud in the tubes, whether it does or not?

There is a place for Slime. In my opinion, that place is the tubes of someone who does all his own service, and doesn't mind the tradeoffs.

As for me, I have found easier and less complicated ways of avoiding flats. I don't live in goathead heck like ABQ, but there are goatheads here, and I live in a glass-strewn central city. Good thick tires, big (not thick) tubes, and avoiding the road hazards I can see are enough preventives in my case. When I want a sweeter ride than that, I take my chances with flats.

Chalo

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
You remember until you forget. Or maybe a customer doesn't think to mention that his tubes are full of pump-damaging sputum. Or maybe you just have a good old fashioned blowout and the dayglo green stuff decorates your leg/three-piece suit/smiling face. Anyway, a substance that can stay fluid, but still clog an air leak, is pretty nasty in any context but actively clogging an air leak.

Some of us consider the lousy ride quality of a tire with a tire liner to be a problem. That problem would be one that doesn't go away even in your best case scenario.

I have had them ooze in front of my eyes while in the service stand. I've picked at a tuft of crud on a tire, only to discover that it's a tuft of Slime fibers, and me messing with it made the tire deflate. And of course, when somebody gets a tire cut or other problem that Slime can't plug up, there is a nasty mess to deal with.

I remember when I ued to do roadside motorcycle flat fixes with Fix-A-Flat. I knew that my tire guy would charge me extra to clean out the mess, but I also knew it was cheaper than a tow. So far, I haven't charged anyone extra to clean up their green spew. But I have resented it nonetheless.

Remember, nobody ever says, "I contaminated my tubes with pump-clogging funk" when they bring their bike in for service. At least 19 out of every 20 customers don't have that mess in there. So you are suggesting that I always take the extra steps to treat everybody's tire as if it had crud in the tubes, whether it does or not?

There is a place for Slime. In my opinion, that place is the tubes of someone who does all his own service, and doesn't mind the tradeoffs.

As for me, I have found easier and less complicated ways of avoiding flats. I don't live in goathead heck like ABQ, but there are goatheads here, and I live in a glass-strewn central city. Good thick tires, big (not thick) tubes, and avoiding the road hazards I can see are enough preventives in my case. When I want a sweeter ride than that, I take my chances with flats.

Chalo
Slime stops leaks that leave bikes perfectly safe to Drive. Like I said and made perfectly clear. I can have something truly terrible, happen then easily go another two weeks with style and ease. Last never been stranded becuase of it. Two weeks for me can easily be 200 miles.

Yet I gotta say that's me with the 10mm slits. I did that on my own risk can't recommend that folks try it. Just getting a my views out. At some point use good judgment get a new tire and tube. Uber speeds or just plain riding on any kind of bike is kinda silly just plain wrong if the tire/tube is severely compromised!

I ride in the gutter every where I go and have encountered it all. Slime has never let me down.

As a professional mechanic I have got dirty. The work you do could be done in a tuxedo!

No body ever mentions the well maintained chains etc getting the Blackest stains on there hands. That has to wear off?

Slime is water soluble and easily rinses off. I have never encounter a problem cleaning up. In all my rescues from slime its been very simple. It works and maintains my bike perfectly rid able till I feel like getting around to it.

In a few cases with nails I simply road the bike and never did anything except for maybe once a weak I would re air the said tire. I had no worry's at and did not even worry about carrying a tire pump. Water winter or summer. Just can't beat that kind of awesome reliability.[even on a bald tire]

Chalo I would not let you near my bikes. Besides I fix my own. No shop has ever touched a machine of mine.:rolleyes:

Don't get your tuxedo dirty!!!!

When I decided to speak up about slime it was because I wanted to share how dependable my luck has been. That being said its been fun talking to ya really .

I fix my tires at home not on the side of the road!!!! It was my hope that will help some one with my testimony. You go ahead and keep getting another word in. I am done with you.

Last edited:

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
You must live close to Austin Texas? There were a lot of nice
shops there.
I work in central Austin at a hardscrabble service-oriented shop. We fix a lot of daily transportation type bikes, and we sell more used/reconditioned bikes than new ones. I don't own the shop, but I'm on duty there most afternoons.

East Side Pedal Pushers - East Austin - Austin, TX

I get a lot of grease on my tuxedo, but other things like coffee, beer, pizza sauce, and Slime still make me say "eew" or "dagnabbit" when I get baptized with them.

Chalo

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I work in central Austin at a hardscrabble service-oriented shop. We fix a lot of daily transportation type bikes, and we sell more used/reconditioned bikes than new ones. I don't own the shop, but I'm on duty there most afternoons.

East Side Pedal Pushers - East Austin - Austin, TX

I get a lot of grease on my tuxedo, but other things like coffee, beer, pizza sauce, and Slime still make me say "eew" or "dagnabbit" when I get baptized with them.

Chalo

I lived in Austin TX for 5 years and peddled through ever square inch of it including the country side. That city or any place around it has no and will not ever have Goat Heads. Small world eh bud?

So a heavy duty tube will work there even a paper thin one god for bid. I have been speaking from hands on experience. So are you? Well mebbe snork. Try catching me in a white lie? I am going to make a you tube to help you get the truth out.Snork

I fix my tires at home not on the road side. My bikes always get me home riding them. I have never carried a bicycle pump with me. Never needed it.

THERE ARE NO GOAT HEADS IN AUSTIN TEXAS............
Just ask any other member in austin.. Seriously.

Last edited:

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
I lived in Austin TX for 5 years and peddled through ever square inch of it including the country side. That city or any place around it has no and will not ever have Goat Heads.
The heck we don't. There are goatheads here in the grassy margins of sidewalks and road shoulders; they're just not everywhere and all the time like they are in ABQ. When I see them at work, I usually find three or more embedded in a flat tire. I tell folks to avoid grass, or at least stick to the beaten paths where all the goatheads have already hitchhiked out of there. There is a season for goathead punctures here; late summer is when they are most plentiful and driest (therefore hardest).

I remember walking along roadsides to and from the bus while getting my car serviced in Albuquerque, and having my thick flip-flops completely surfaced with goatheads on the bottoms. It was painful and annoying just to remove them so I could reenter the hotel uncontaminated. That was really awful.

THERE ARE NO GOAT HEADS IN AUSTIN TEXAS............
Just ask any other member in austin.. Seriously.
Poppycock. You just weren't paying attention.

Gardenaut || Detail || When Nature Spreads Tacks On Your Lawn Dealing With Burs

Lawns: Weed control, grass weeds, goat head

Lawns: Preemergence Weed Control/Fungus, dallas morning news, grass blade

Chalo

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I put in about 10,000 miles in that city peddling 10 years back and honestly never found one. I always asked my friends around there about them stickers non of them new what they were. When I asked I would talk of N.M. I can't say they are extinct at this point, but I truly never found one. I have always been a gutter rider.

I traveled from north Austin to south Austin clean across the city daily for work peddling. Loved taking Lamar BLVD. There is a La Parilla restaurant at 9515 N Lamar Blvd best Mexican food I could get my hands on. I ate there 4 or 5 times a weak.

I often peddled from about this location all the way into a town outside of Austin called Creedmoor.
Never saw a Goat Head that's a whole lotta ground to cover. A bunch may have change in 10 years. Guess you guy's have them now. I was all over that city. My habits growing up in a land of no escape must have kept me on the path of side walks and what not where they might be. I dunno? I saw something that seamed familiar in the country side but did not notice stickers.

Any how I will make a video tomorrow. One continues camera shot. Last I will take the tube out and show how to do it with out a freak accident. It is really simple.

I never had any of your surprises. Why is it hard for you?

I would suspect a quick tickle of the schrader would tell all? Then simply put it at a ten O clock or twelve position. Go accordingly a perfect contained and organized approach could ensue.

Antifreeze in my line of work is green. I just approach it the best way I can. Over time I have become organized. Mistakes form good habits [shrug]

You never mentioned the Mesquite thorns. I have survived those to ride home too with luck on my side. No tube changing no worry's what so ever well a little. The tire had a slow leak that would take a weak or longer to notice. The more I road the better it got till it showed almost no evidence of a leak from said thorns.

FYI the video will not be covering Goat Heads that's way too easy. There will be no messes . I really don't have problems with green stuff ensuing..

I googled Austin says ya have them. I would not have believed it [shrug]

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
A little friendly disagreement is okay guys...just keep it civil.
It's been interesting reading and seeing the pros and cons of the subject. I typically try to stay away from thorn prone areas but even nicely paved and maintained trails can be thorny after a breezy day due to the weedy patches adjacent to them. The goat heads once dried are nearly invisible laying on a concrete trail and I've had them stuck in my tires often. If they went all the way through, I can't say, but the combination of thick tubes and Slime have served me well. Since my first post where I said Slime had clogged pressure gauges, I took one apart, ran hot water into it and managed to get it working again.
I will say this...do not put slime in a tube then let the bike set for an appreciable length of time. I recently replaced a tube on the front of my wife's MTB that is not ridden regularly. The Slime was probably close to two years old and had coagulated into a lump that could not be smooshed back into a liquid. It wouldn't come out of the stem and made the deflated tube look like a snake that had just had a good meal. I tossed it and replaced it with a thorn resistant tube and no Slime. Just my observations.
Tom

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You can try adding some water to it Tom. From my experience in cleaning up a rather large mess of slime if foams up just like soap and actually left the floor and the tools quite clean after rinsing it off.

I'm not saying it is soap but it seems to have a lot of the same properties as soap.

Chalo

Aug 10, 2010
Texas
Since my first post where I said Slime had clogged pressure gauges, I took one apart, ran hot water into it and managed to get it working again.
I'd never heard of Slime messing up a gauge before that. I have seen it clog valves and gum up pump chucks many times. The biggest problems arise when someone decides more is better, and fills half the volume of his tube with the stuff.

Carl Fogel, a frequent contributor to rec.bicycles.tech, lives in Pueblo, CO and gets uncountable numbers of goathead punctures. His remedy is Slime, without the extra measure of a thick tube as far as I can tell. It seems he lets punctures accumulate until they ooze or leak down too much for his liking, then he patches up to dozens of holes all at once.

Chalo