Help in Maine!!!

GoldenMotor.com

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
How do i register or do i have to in Maine. The local Police say its a moped. But a Moped has a serial number and you will also have to pay sales tax and excise tax. My motorized bike does have a serial number but i dont think it will work at the dmv.

You would also have to carry insurance but will companies insure a home made bicycle?

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
There is so much "grey area" when it comes to these things do more research into what the DMV state law says, half the police out there aren't even sure of the laws pertaining to these, in fact I believe the one you spoke to may have been one of them.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
so much to read through, you don't have to wear a helmet on a motorcycle in maine, well unless your under 18. We have had helmet laws here forever it seems like. Yeah so you'll have to check out the BMV info, I just google searched maine DMV and it gave me the website for BMV.

72tx340

Mar 24, 2010
Caribou Maine
Thanks for the replies. Ive been emailing the head of the DMV and he doesnt even give the same story twice. Now he says its a moped but must comform to manufactoring laws and such for a moped well thats out.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
It's enough to drive a person bonkers trying to figure out what each state willy nilly decides to do with our bikes. You can be pretty sure the people deciding things know little or nothing about them and I get the feeling that despite our being citizens and paying gas taxes and all the other stuff that we do not matter at all. I'm still trying to understand the logic in Canada which outright outlaws them and punishes offenders with heavy fines, confiscation and possible jail time. This is for a bicycle with a wimpy little motor ridden by people like you and me. And this is in a country without vehicle emission requirements on their cars and trucks and which also has a million 2 stroke chainsaws running simultaneously. I feel for people like cabinfever in New York State who has to give up his gas bike and go electric. Not cheap, electric. And where's the electricity come from, a coal fired plant? This is nuts. And just plain wrong. Legal to drive around in an RV getting 5 mpg, but not a bicycle with a motor getting a 100 mpg? I feel for you guys not knowing from one county to the next or one cop to the next what to expect. it is maddening. So far in north eastern Minnesota I am just a curiosity putting along under the radar, but I get the feeling it is just a matter of time until some legislative do gooder decides I'm an outlaw and a menace to society. I wish the motorcycle community would take an interest in what we're doing and lend some clout on a national level. We should have rights, too. Brothers in the wind, unite! As the Moped Army says on their web site, "Swarm and Destroy!" Well, swarm anyway.
SB

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
The hole country is that way anymore, all the people causing any change in politics are super religious freaks or people who have nothing better to do than complain about what everyone else does, no one that has any influence in the laws has any experience with the things they are outlawing but they do so willy nilly. This country is young and whether it be today, tomorrow, or years from now. There will be a revolution, at some point there has to be, because its the same big families and politics in control now that were in control when we revolted against europe, and they need to keep their greedy damn hands out of our cookie jar. These out of control bank and Credit Card companies are a big part of the problem, abolish federal government and watch our liberties return, or sit around and be comfy in your armchair and watch this great country turn into a sespool of egotistical scum that destroy what our forefathers died for!

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
America used to be free, somes wheels and a engine and you were good to go, now the countries going to helll. They want everyone to buy a very expensive car,motorcyle or house, anything they can tax or take away and resell.

Im still waiting to see if im getting electric parts(working on a trade) or if i have to buy them.
Bike is still empty.

Last edited:

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Yep the taxes are the problem so many rich politians have figured out ways to funel monies into their own, and there families bank acct. These arrogant and self righteous crooks are at the very top of our political system, and they won't just go away.

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Now if it ain't making them money it ain't legal, and thats that, they lobby people to vote their way and use propoganda when that fails. I am an American and I renouce their authority. Did you know we do have options? Yeah it cost about $10,000 and you waive your rights to soc sec, or any kind of government grants help whatever. I may do it anyway.