Stretch&Chopper Builds with 4-stroke Pit/Dirtbike 50cc Engines

GoldenMotor.com

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
For those of you considering a Stretch Cruiser / Chopper Build using a Horizontal Cloned Honda 4-stroke 50cc ATV/Pitbike/Dirt Bike engine.

Here's a lil History bout those Honda bikes / engines the first one's Honda sold in the USA were the Honda Cub's or Super cub that was around 1960, then Honda released the Honda 50 Mini Trail around 1968, then came others like the Honda CT 70 Trail Bike, using the same 4-stroke horizontal engine used on earlier Honda models.

It is my understanding that the Honda Patent for these Horizontal 4-stroke engines expired, and the Chinese then jumped on this and started producing them, probably since 1995 is my guess.

There a many forum members here that have used this same cloned engine for their Stretch or Chopper builds.

I have a few builds ongoing that will be powered with this same style chinese cloned engine, one is an OCC Stingray Chopper and the other is the XL-Chopper ( extra Long version ) chinese cloned Chopper.

I'm also using a Lifan 110cc 4-stroke motor on one of my GreenLine Stretch Cruiser's.
GreenLine is no longer selling this Stretch Cruiser Model.

Here's a few pic's showing the Old Honda CT 70 Trail Bike and the Honda 50 Mini Trail Bike it's now a Chinese clone sold as the Monkey 50 Trail Bike:

There's a few things you might like to know about these motors they can be purchased as fully automatic transmission, semi-automatic trans, or full manual trans, they are available with electric start, kick start, one or the other or with both start options, they can power headlights tail lights, horn, and the electric starter, they are available as 50cc 70cc 90cc 100cc 110cc up to 196cc high performance racing engines producing as much as 20+ horsepower.

I would recommend not using anything larger than 50cc remember this Bicycles are designed and engineered to be human pedal powered when we motorize them this should be considered, as well as upgrading all your bearings on the wheels to sealed bearings and disc brakes wouldn't be a bad idea, these motors will make your bike scream at over 60 miles per hour!
These are not toys for kids I'd suggest that anyone attempting this style build be aware that this type of motorizing is not for the novice or young person! Just a suggestion!

If you do decide to purchase one of these Honda cloned Horizontal 4-stroke 50cc engines for a build I'd suggest doing your research:

Here's a check List or Build List if you want to call it that.

1.Like who sellls them?

2.Whats included with the motor? ie ( exhaust/wiring harness/ handlebar control switches/ carburetor ) are sold separately.

3.How is the engine mounted to the Bicycle? ( what are the dimensions of engine ) what is my bicycles frame dimensions?

4.There a two possible way's to secure your engine the top & rear side of engine see pic's and the bottom of engine has 4 bolt mounting holes.

5.Mounting your engine using a skid plate & adding a Jackshaft?

6.Adding disc brakes to front wheel & rear?

7.Type of Bicycle you are wanting to use either a Stretch Cruiser or a Chopper?

8.Changing your Bottom Bracket ie ( Pedal Crank ), to an extra wide type?

Hope this helps those of you considering this type of motorizing.

I'll be adding to this more information regarding where to find bikes & parts etc for this style build, and I hope other forum members who have already completed their own builds add to this List!

Peace Crazy Horse.

For more information on these Chinese clone horizontal Honda Monkey Bike, ATV / Dirt bike / Pit Bike engines see BarelyAWake's thread titled:Alternate 4-Stroke Engines, here's the Link:
http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crazy Horse,
Thanks for this thread. Indications are that the 2 strokes are on their way out, so many of us are going to be looking at alternatives. You mentioned the chopper style and stretch cruisers. Are vintage cruisers out of the running? Not enough room for the engine? The idea of a proven engine design with either kick or electric start has a lot of appeal, more for me than speed. What kind of price range are we looking at for just the motor, say the 50cc you mentioned? Are you going to be dealing these engines? (Hint).
The one on the bike build looks great!
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Crazy Horse,
Thanks for this thread. Indications are that the 2 strokes are on their way out, so many of us are going to be looking at alternatives. You mentioned the chopper style and stretch cruisers. Are vintage cruisers out of the running? Not enough room for the engine? The idea of a proven engine design with either kick or electric start has a lot of appeal, more for me than speed. What kind of price range are we looking at for just the motor, say the 50cc you mentioned? Are you going to be dealing these engines? (Hint).
The one on the bike build looks great!
SB
I'm thinking a simplex motorbike frame might handle that beast nicely. Now to find a frame that a poor boy can afford thats a chore.

Adam
S-bear, here's a thought Honda made two versions of the 50cc 4-stroke the Horizontal as pictured above & the Vertical 50cc 4-stroke.

The 50cc 4-stroke Honda Vertical engine that I'm referring to was used on the Honda Dream 50 it was a Cafe Racer style mini motor bike see photo attached, this could be an option for the Beach Cruiser style bicycles and Vintage Bicycles that you are partial to.

I believe that Vince at Tboltusa can acquire these Vertical style 50cc 4-strokes which will be more than likely Chinese clones, or for those with the resources $$$ a Honda manufactured 50cc 4-stroke Vertical can be special ordered from your Local Honda dealership.

As far as myself being a dealer distributor for these Honda Chinese Cloned Horizontal 4-strokes,
If I had the resources to get started I'd be on it in a heartbeat!

GoFastBicycles,

If you don't have the resources to order yourself a New Stretch Cruiser or Chopper Bicycle,
here's a couple of suggestions:

1.Check your Local Salvation Army Thrift Stores & The Local Goodwill Thrift Stores, and here in the Washington, D.C. area we have also The organization now known as the "Military Order of the Purple Heart," was formed in 1932 for the protection and mutual interest of all who have received the decoration. Composed exclusively of Purple Heart recipients, it is the only veterans service organization comprised strictly of “combat” veterans.

Funds for welfare, rehabilitation and/or service work carried on by the organization are derived through the collection of used household items, the operation of thrift stores, and they always have bicycles for sale.

2.Check your Local newspaper, Crugslist, ebay, and last but not Least estate sales & Yard Sales, hopefully with a lil Brainstorming you'll find yourself a nice Stretch Cruiser or Chopper or the one that you are most partial to a Simplex!

3.You'll have to hone your skills as an antique/vintage Bicycle Archeologist, try making a Flier on 1-sheet of paper and drop one off at almost every Farm you can access you be surprised what people are willing to part with!

Here's a couple photo's of the Honda Dream 50 Cafe Racer Mini Motorbike, with the Vertical 50cc 4-stroke engine:

This is Honda's re-issued version of The Dream 50:

C.H.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crazy Horse,
That is one serious looking engine. Something to dream about. An old simplex brought back to life with a clone powering it would be sweet indeed.
SB

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Just wanted to ask has anyone else thought about using this type of engine!

Well after purchasing 2 Loncin 50/70cc engines at $139.00 a piece new in the box, I was searching the net and low & behold I found a new and totally different engine!

It's still an E-22 copied engine aka Honda chinese cloned horizontal 4-stroke 50cc, this is same type of engine used on Honda Monkey bikes, Honda CT70, Honda Mini Trail 50, Honda CRF50, pitbikes, dirtbikes, & atv's use this type of engine.

There's a big difference in this engine being that the shaft where the Kick start would normally be has been removed, and in it's place is a pedal crank. So now we have another 4-stroke option for our builds.

This engine with pedal option is coming soon to a very large distributor here in the USA, and I was fortunate enough to order the first one. This distributor is most likely to have 20 engines on order.

Here's the engine some of you have already seen this in another post where I'm building an XL-Chopper with this type of engine!

Leave it to the chinese to come up with more use's for these Honda Horizontal 4-stroke engines, here in pic below shows this type of engine used for a moped!

In this pic below you can see how this engine has tilt away foot pegs / foot rests, which can be used when not pedaling, and there's a shifter there also this particular engine is setup as 2-speed high & low.

Some people are importing these mopeds with the Chinese cloned E-22 Honda 4-stroke engines re-engineered with pedals my guess is they are getting smarter and want to get around the 2-stroke ban here in the USA.

They are importing these bikes under the brand name Motorino Laser5 & SSR Laser5 both bikes are identical just different branding of name.

I know there will be some moped owners out there that will be buying these motors up well since some of us know that these engines can and will be modified with aftermarket high performance parts ie carbs, heads, cams, just google pitbike parts and you'll find 1,000's of parts available to get a lil more power outta these engines.

Peace Crazy Horse.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Crazy Horse,
Wow. I love it. I can see that motor on my Panther. Pedal start and a two speed would be perfect. Who is distributing them and what kind of price range are we talking about? I also like the way it looks. Thanks for posting this cool stuff.
Silverbear

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Here's some info and spec's on these engine's.

EPA AND DOT APPROVED FOR ALL 50 STATES !!!

Engine Model: Cloned Honda Horizontal 50cc 4 Stroke
Engine / Drive Train
Engine Type: 49cc Single Cylinder
Stroke: Four-Stroke
Displacement: 49ml
Compression 10:1
Bore x Stroke: 39mmx41.4mm
Cooling System: Air-Cooled
Fuel System: 87 Octane Gasoline
Gearbox: Transmission Ratio: Primary :3.722 1th:2.615(34:13) 2th:1.611(29:18)
Driveline: Constant Mesh, Two Stage Transmission
Human Propulsion with Pedal
Starting System: Electric / Pedal Start
Ignition: CDI
Max Speed: 35MPH
Max Torque: 2.0Nm
Battery: 12V-4Ah

49.5 CC 4 STROKE OVERHEAD CAM MOTOR

USE REGULAR PUMP GAS NO MIXING OIL, PULL UP TO ANY GAS STATION AND FILL HER UP

EASY OIL CHANGES EVERY 1200 MILES USES LESS THAN ONE QUART OF OIL TAKES 5 MINUTES
TO DO !

ELECTRIC START , PUSH START OR PEDAL START (3 WAYS TO START HER )

FULL SOLID STATE FAIL SAFE CDI IGNITION

PEDALS LIKE A REGULAR BICYCLE

SPEEDOMETER , TACHOMETER , GAUGE LIGHTS

WILL RUN ALL ELECTRIC ACCESSORIES, TAIL LIGHT, TURN SIGNALS , HIGH AND LOW BEAM HEADLIGHT, HORN, ELECTRIC START OR PEDAL START OR PUSH START

I'll post more information regarding these engines soon.

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
jb, I'll be there with either the XL-Chopper or maybe both the XL-Chopper & The OCC Stingray Chopper powered with the chinese cloned 4-stroke Honda E-22 50cc engine.

I only have one Mini-Trail Honda CRF 50cc chinese cloned engine with built in pedals at the moment, anyway I'll see you at the 2010 East Coast Rally!

Here's the pedal engine

For those of you who'd like more information regarding these fully automatic electric start 4-stroke engines checkout this thread:

See you at the 2010 East Coast Rally @ Cape Henlopen State Sea Shore Park / Rehobeth Beach, Delaware on September 18, 19, 2010

Peace Crazy Horse.

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
I have the 50cc horizontal engine and average around 120 mpg. I am about 220lbs, ride about 3/4 throttle, and have a lot of hills. As you know, mileage depends on a lot of variables, but I have found that I got better mileage with the HS. The mileage of the smaller engines is not worth the lack of performance, for me. My bike hauls butt and still gets great mileage.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
It's getting near Holiday time and soon these Chinese cloned Honda Horizontal CRF 50cc type engines will be going on sale.

Before you buy one checkout BarelyAWake's thread titled: Alternate 4 Stroke Horizontal Engines:

I always try to suggest to new builders or even experienced builders to save yourself some money & just buy a kid's ATV with a 110cc 0r 50cc horizontal type engine, since these will come complete with everything needed to have a running engine except your custom engine mount, gas tank, and jackshaft or rear sprocket!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Attention, Capt Carl here's a brief detailed list of some things you may or may not need for your build!

C.H.

[/B]
For those of you considering a Stretch Cruiser / Chopper Build using a Horizontal Cloned Honda 4-stroke 50cc ATV/Pitbike/Dirt Bike engine.

Here's a lil History bout those Honda bikes / engines the first one's Honda sold in the USA were the Honda Cub's or Super cub that was around 1960, then Honda released the Honda 50 Mini Trail around 1968, then came others like the Honda CT 70 Trail Bike, using the same 4-stroke horizontal engine used on earlier Honda models.

It is my understanding that the Honda Patent for these Horizontal 4-stroke engines expired, and the Chinese then jumped on this and started producing them, probably since 1995 is my guess.

There a many forum members here that have used this same cloned engine for their Stretch or Chopper builds.

I have a few builds ongoing that will be powered with this same style chinese cloned engine, one is an OCC Stingray Chopper and the other is the XL-Chopper ( extra Long version ) chinese cloned Chopper.

I'm also using a Lifan 110cc 4-stroke motor on one of my GreenLine Stretch Cruiser's.
GreenLine is no longer selling this Stretch Cruiser Model.

Here's a few pic's showing the Old Honda CT 70 Trail Bike and the Honda 50 Mini Trail Bike it's now a Chinese clone sold as the Monkey 50 Trail Bike:

There's a few things you might like to know about these motors they can be purchased as fully automatic transmission, semi-automatic trans, or full manual trans, they are available with electric start, kick start, one or the other or with both start options, they can power headlights tail lights, horn, and the electric starter, they are available as 50cc 70cc 90cc 100cc 110cc up to 196cc high performance racing engines producing as much as 20+ horsepower.

I would recommend not using anything larger than 50cc remember this Bicycles are designed and engineered to be human pedal powered when we motorize them this should be considered, as well as upgrading all your bearings on the wheels to sealed bearings and disc brakes wouldn't be a bad idea, these motors will make your bike scream at over 60 miles per hour!
These are not toys for kids I'd suggest that anyone attempting this style build be aware that this type of motorizing is not for the novice or young person! Just a suggestion!

If you do decide to purchase one of these Honda cloned Horizontal 4-stroke 50cc engines for a build I'd suggest doing your research:

Here's a check List or Build List if you want to call it that.

1.Like who sellls them?

2.Whats included with the motor? ie ( exhaust/wiring harness/ handlebar control switches/ carburetor ) are sold separately.

3.How is the engine mounted to the Bicycle? ( what are the dimensions of engine ) what is my bicycles frame dimensions?

4.There a two possible way's to secure your engine the top & rear side of engine see pic's and the bottom of engine has 4 bolt mounting holes.

5.Mounting your engine using a skid plate & adding a Jackshaft?

6.Adding disc brakes to front wheel & rear?

7.Type of Bicycle you are wanting to use either a Stretch Cruiser or a Chopper?

8.Changing your Bottom Bracket ie ( Pedal Crank ), to an extra wide type?

Hope this helps those of you considering this type of motorizing.

I'll be adding to this more information regarding where to find bikes & parts etc for this style build, and I hope other forum members who have already completed their own builds add to this List!

Peace Crazy Horse.

For more information on these Chinese clone horizontal Honda Monkey Bike, ATV / Dirt bike / Pit Bike engines see BarelyAWake's thread titled:Alternate 4-Stroke Engines, here's the Link: