Back Wheel w/coaster brakes is loose when on bike..

GoldenMotor.com

vwine

Jan 27, 2010
germany
:-||Hey guys, I ordered a SBP expansion muffler.. and I got so excited about it I had to get a completely new bike, Because I want to build a bike like alot of the ones I see on here. A clean, slick cruiser.
I got my cruiser. 80 bucks at our PX.... it is cheap, but I wife is pregnant and cant spend as much as I would like. ANYHOO.... I put the sprocket on my back wheel and when I put my back wheel back on my bike it seems a little wobbly.. not much but a little... Why is that?
Its not bent spoke wobbly, but more of a loose Even though the end nuts are Tight....
Something inside it is loose it seems. HELP please guys. I can answer questions when asked for more info. I hope i dont have to remove the sprocket.. its sooooo perfect right now.. lol
AND THIS BIKE DOES HAVE COASTER BRAKES.!!!!!!!!! I HATE THEM, BUT THEY WILL HAVE TO WORK FOR NOW...

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
It sounds like your bearing retainers have come a bit loose. Not to worry. Just remove the wheel and holding the axel with a hand on each side try to move it back and forth. If you have any freeply in there you just tighten them up until the play is taken up.Don't overdo it and check to make certain that the wheel will still turn freely. This is a fairly common thing to happen when working on a wheel. You don't want free play but to tight is bad too.

Hope this helps.

Tom

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Make sure when your putting the wheel on that the coaster brake arm is in the position it needs to be in. If you move it (rotate it) after you tighten the wheel... you are in effect loosening (or tightening) the retainer.

Last edited:

vwine

Jan 27, 2010
germany
Gator, Thanks so much man.
I went out and did exactly what you said. It was simple and was an instant fix.
And best of all, I got to keep my sprocket on!
Thanks alot. VWdrn2