Rhoades Quadricycle. Please help me.

GoldenMotor.com

PutsTheDUIinRUINED

Oct 17, 2009
'zona
I made a thread a little while ago about my interest in motorizing a 4-wheeled quadricycle Surrey. Well, I've found something better, in my opinion; the Rhoades Car GoBoy QS. They offer a pretty solid electronic assist system, but I think motorizing it is the way to go. My concerns for this project are not with the law so much as they are with safety/performance/possibilities. I guess what I am wondering is how I can do this? I think I may be in over my head as I am not a mechanic by any means. Motorbiking is an addiction I found out. I've gone mad. I want to motorize everything with bicycle wheels that I find interesting.

Anybody have any input? I'm at step one right now - brainstorming - so all things are welcome.

I certainly don't have the technical know-how to do this. If anybody has a suggestion or a number of somebody who would be interested to help me, by all means.

Attachments

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I'd need a lot more technical data on that quad to offer any opinions on installing an engine. That twin derailer looks like a nightmare to deal with so I'd be inclined to run directly to the rear axle with the engine drive chain. There looks to be ample room back there for anything you'd want to put on it. You'd probably need some form of free wheel or sprag clutch and/or a centrifugal clutch. I have a trike that is powered by a 4 stroke Titan that is driving the rear axle through a centrifugal clutch and leaves the pedals, chain and rear hub unaffected. Just my thoughts based on your photo. As Arty Johnson used to say..."vetty intastink ..."
Tom

Last edited:

AlWalters

Aug 9, 2012
USA
I made a thread a little while ago about my interest in motorizing a 4-wheeled quadricycle Surrey. Well, I've found something better, in my opinion; the Rhoades Car GoBoy QS. They offer a pretty solid electronic assist system, but I think motorizing it is the way to go. My concerns for this project are not with the law so much as they are with safety/performance/possibilities. I guess what I am wondering is how I can do this? I think I may be in over my head as I am not a mechanic by any means. Motorbiking is an addiction I found out. I've gone mad. I want to motorize everything with bicycle wheels that I find interesting.

Anybody have any input? I'm at step one right now - brainstorming - so all things are welcome.

I certainly don't have the technical know-how to do this. If anybody has a suggestion or a number of somebody who would be interested to help me, by all means.
I know this thread is quite old but be careful using a Rhoades Car as the quality of the components are not that good.

You'll need to re-do the drive train and wheel/axle bearings - replacing them with much stronger ones. If you don't, you'll need to replace the stock ones approximately 2-3 times per year (depending on how much you ride).

Good luck.

angelbaby_97520

Aug 12, 2012
Portland, Oregon
.crt.My husband and I are looking to do the same thing and motorize our surrey bike that we are going to be purchasing shortly. We want to give it a motor that runs on water, solar power or even man power. We are having such a hard time being able to find anyone in our area that can do it. We live in Portand Oregon. So you know of anyone near us that does something liek that??

Thanks and any information helps at this point!

AlWalters

Aug 9, 2012
USA
While I don't have any first hand experience, I have heard many good things about Lightfoot Cycles.

As I stated in my previous post, be aware that Rhoades Cars suffer from poor design and poor quality components.

young grease monkey

Sep 20, 2011
Chicago
Water powered bike? You can do it if ya got the $$$. Not very practical, short range and not much power. Ya could do electric, just get some hub motor wheels and the batteries and controller.