Has any one tryed making a faring?

GoldenMotor.com

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I would like to make one. I have several ideas, but I thought I would see if any has done one already. Learn form others mistakes, or things that you would do differently.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I wonder if the question is about a fairing that would hide the engine. When I first got the bike I thought I would make one but after a year of not being bothered by the cops, I see no need.

silvermaker5

Jun 8, 2008
Baldwinsville, NY
I wonder if the question is about a fairing that would hide the engine. When I first got the bike I thought I would make one but after a year of not being bothered by the cops, I see no need.
No it's to cut down on wind restance. Maybe be able to go a little faster. I have had no troubles with the cops and I have been by plenty of them, some just looking for some one to mess up.

KiDD

Apr 9, 2008
I was thinking about making a motorcycle type FAIRING to decrease wind resistance (increase top speed) and for ducting cooling and an intake in the fairing for the carb (like ram air? cold air intake)

Scotty

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne Australia
I have tried a Zipper faring and it wobbled around too much, especially at high speed.

I would like to add a faring to my next bike build as I plan to break some speed records.;) Perhaps I should find a suitable motorcycle front, although I would prefer to make it myself. Thin fiberglass should be stiff enough.

I think there are some real speed gains to be made if the design is right.

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
If you make the fairing where it has lots of compound curves and cut your glass 45 degrees to the bias it will be very rigid with just 2 or 3 layers of glass. Or better yet do it with carbon fiber. Very light and strong........................

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
You can also use chopped up fiberglass mat to reinforce in the hollow areas. Basically makes like a honeycomb type of effect.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
For super light weight use carbon fiber and nomexhoneycomb core. I think it might be a pain in the rear to make and expensive and to get any ram air effect you got to be going fast faster than I would want to on a bicycle.

Scotty

Jul 5, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Bicycle. motor bike. I think we are already blurring the line aren't we? :)

My bike has better stopping than my old GSXR and is a lot easier to handle at speed. I can even jump gutters etc. As long as the bike is designed for the speeds you will be expecting to do I see no problem.

I would not use a standard bike frame again, (I cracked the downtube on one already) preferring to manufacture my own from thicker tubing. Good disk brakes and full suspension are needed too.

There seems to be a wall of air I hit at about 60km/h which i'm sure a fairing would help me punch through.