Another Board Track Racer

GoldenMotor.com
Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
I know this isn't a Motorized Bicycle, but wanted to post some pics of a project that I have been working on over the last 4 years. It seems like the Board Track craze is all over, glad I just finished
mine and can sit back, I need the rest.
This has been an on going project that I never thought would come to an end. I have researched what bike frame would be the best to use and after getting some dimentions together I only used the back half of a pre-war bike and an original set of Monark springer forks. The rest of this bike is all fabricated and painted by an amature,...me. Built in my garage and painted in the driveway.
This is the first time I have ever taken on a project of this nature. I'm not an engineer, have no background in sheetmetal work or welding, I don't even own a MIG welder (yet) I borrowed one.
All I can say is that I have had wanted to build a Board Track bike for so long that it hurt. A lot of time, and a whole lot more patience. The wheelbase is about 53", the motor is a 100cc Lifan, Worksman rims w/front and rear drums, 26" rims. Here are a few pictures from the begining, middle and end of this build, you can check out these links for more details an more pics.
Thanks for taking a look. "Winter Project" another.. Board Track Racer - The Jockey Journal Board YouTube - Another Board Track Racer "Winter Project"....Part 1

Attachments

Last edited:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Was researching board tracker frames the other night and came across another forum where you posted your build. Wanted to comment but I didn't want to bother signing up for yet another forum and now I don't have to. :D

Awesome job!

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
Thanks... I had to look up "smick" in the Aussie slang dictionary, glad you like it.
This came about quite by mistake, ..literally. I made a bad weld on the rear motor mount support and thought I was going to have to make a whole new one. So I took the MIG welder and just kind of went crazy with just some random splatter, curved lines, and frustration strokes and came up with the "RANDOM MIG PATTERN" as dmar836 called it.
So once I really looked at it I thought I can make this work. After the pattern was laid down I went over every thing with an 80 grit disc to tone it down a bit. Then wire wheel to shed off any thing loose. The finish is Raw metal then added some black spray paint and wiped with a sovent to leave the recessed areas dark, to give it an aged look (patina). I liked the apperence it was taking on and decided to add it to some key points on the frame and misc. parts.
Everything was then Clear coated.
Here are some close ups. .....Thanks again!

Attachments

Jul 8, 2009
My Garage
I've had it down the street a couple of times, and around the block a few. I'm having a little problem with the front springer set up. The springs are not stiff enough, so the action of the fork stays compressed. If you push down, it stays there. I had some nylon washers in between all of the pivet points on the rockers thinking it would help but it created more binding so I removed them.
I'm thinking of installing some small helper springs (stiff ones) on the inside of the originals. I have some small die stamping springs that might work. It may be that there is just too much weight for this set up.
Still looking to get a video of a short ride, I'll keep you posted.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
Raven's in my neck of the woods. Hit Ralph Wayne's tomorrow and I'll have mine there.
Dave
Olathe