paint choices. need opinion's

GoldenMotor.com

icyuod2

May 29, 2009
london onatrio
paint choices. finished pic's

after a long slow build, i think i'm finally ready for paint.
the original plan was to paint the entire bike indian red (frame,tank, rims etc) pinstriped in gold, with cream tires. (this is an indian inspired build)
problem is, i cant find any 24x2.125 cream tires. (thick bricks are too big). i love the indians with the white tires, but i'm not over keen on the color sceme without the cream tires.
i'm also growing quite fond of the stainless tank with the dark frame.

i could just paint it all red and keep the black tires, but i'm starting to think, a rat rod theme might be in order.
red rims, white wall tires, flat black paint with a stainless tank (paid an arm and a leg for the stainless, might as well show it off.) i'm sure it would end up covered in stickers anyway. :)

so what do you guys think? typical indian paint? or rat rod?
thx

Attachments

Last edited:

icyuod2

May 29, 2009
london onatrio
i was seriously thinking about chopping the rear frame and making the 3" thick bricks fit, my problem is they won't allow any clearence for the chain. i'm almost scrapping the tires with the 2.125's.
so i'd have to rework the engine mounts to move the motor to the side (putting the bike off balance)change out the rim's/rear hub/sprocket, refabricate the frame etc etc.

just seems alot of work for the white tires.

besides, there always build #2, and things usually get better as ya go!

quick bricks or the Schwalbe pictured on my original build thread, are fantastic 26" options, but nobody want's to play with the 24's. :(

i'm thinking ratty, its just my style. :)

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi icyuod2, the "Rat Rod" thing is a 1950's look, your bike style would be 1910-1929 or so. I would not do the red rim, rat-rod look as it is way far out of character.

Keep the stainless tank if you like, just letter it so it is part of the theme? one of mine is temporarily flat black, I'll put pic here for you to see, my final is headed toward an "antiqued" distressed, "barn bike" look over the black phosphating primer. I'm kinda stuck with the chrome wheels as they are too much trouble to paint correctly or powder at this time.

Maybe look at old Racers and Motorcycles of that era and pick a color? Mine will be a "worn-out" baby-blue with black lettering (large letters) ala Pope. I still need to adjust that motormount so it is in nice and square.

The Green is a Harley color scheme by my friend Tim Carnes, all Powder, Model 08 frameset, Xcelsior bike, as is the gray one. You will notice that Tim did not do the wheels, as that is a lot of work, disassemble, powder, reassemble and then true and tension, BUT be sure, Tim always does a great job!

Looks good!

Mike

Attachments

icyuod2

May 29, 2009
london onatrio
i understand that the rat rod thing came well after the boardtrackers but many of those rat rods in the 50's used 1920-1950 parts. its all about using what ya got.

while i'll agree its not the norm, do ya really think its out of charictor?
something tells me at least a couple of old barn find indians where ratted out and driven on the road back in the 50's.

MotorbikeMike

Dealer
Dec 29, 2007
Sacramento
Hi icyuod2, I don't think many guys in the 50's would have messed with the "veteran" Motorcycles because of a few factors, Low power, parts hard or nearly impossible to get for many models, and more importantly, EVERY police and Highway Patrol department was using Harley and Indian, and selling surplus used bikes cheap. Additionally, the real source of Harleys and Indians in the Post-war was thousands of surplus military bikes, many still new in the crates and CHEAP! parts were plentiful for the surplus bikes, and the market for them I've been told, was not as large as the supply!

IF you have an interest, I have shot at least 75 bikes (I'm an amateur with a Digital) of this style in the last couple years. I could re-size, and do a Photobucket of REAL american motorcycles, both Barn Bikes, nice originals, and restored bikes from New Reading Standard, Indian, Pope, Harley, and others, I even have shots of a "Millataire" or so French-made woodenwheeled bike with 4 cyl inline and transmission behind it!

Let me know what you think, BTW, early stripped bikes, after the Boardtrack days would be "hill climbers" (racing) "Flattrack" (racing) or "Cut-Downs" (street).

This 8-valve is in a Private collection, Mike was nice enuf to let me shoot it, the Iron Dinosaur is currently raced, and they ran it at the meet (on the stand) several times. The excelsior is a running Barn Bike, these 2 bikes were at Antique Motorcycle of America meet 2 years ago.

Mike

Attachments

icyuod2

May 29, 2009
london onatrio
well here it is. all finished up. (still working on the stand)
i liked the ratty look of the build, so i just hit it with some flat black.
i painted the engine with some vht (very high temp) header paint. i then removed some of it from the fins with a scotch brite pad and alittle elbow grease.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/IMG_0981.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/IMG_0974-1.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/IMG_0990.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/icyuodd/IMG_0994.jpg

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
That is a very fine custom...The rat Rod daddy....It is beautiful and I would love to have a bike like that. That will be one of my next builds fo sho