Are these wheels safe

GoldenMotor.com

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
I have searched the forum and I know there is differing opinions on what is the best rim. (Steel vs double wall alloy) But my question is are mine safe or do I need to make new rims top priority and replace them ASAP

1993 Schwinn cruiser six speed derailer. 66cc china girl, SBP shift kit. Original wheels Weinmann 26 x 1.5 single wall alloy rims measure 1" outside width. 36 14 gauge spokes are NOT stainless. I have replaced the rear axle with chromoly axle. I will be riding mostly on street.

Any suggestions?

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Weinmann makes good wheels I would say no worries. Lots of guys use stock wheels off Walmart bikes. The problem is usually bearings not the rim
Your good and enjoy that shift kit!

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Thanks for the reply Moto. I did clean and regrease the bearings in both wheels. I'll keep a close eye on them. Shift kit is awesome !! Highly recommend it. I was planning on using a hub adapter for the rear sprocket. But they do not make one to fit my hub (3/4") So I came across SBP shift kit and thought that would be a good way to go. Glad I did. Only bad thing is I disqualified it from being a "motorized bicycle" here in TN. Not sure how strict the local law around here is about this. We'll see!

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Weinman wheels are head and shoulders better than a typical Walmart huffy rim generally speaking.
Just about any alloy rim is better than the huffy stuff. It's the poor coaster brake hub that kills so many wallyworld bikes. Keeping it well stuffed with good grease helps.

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Ok will do maniac. Glad to here these wheels are not too bad. Just got me a helmet and front and rear lights so I'm ready to roll !! Can't wait to find out how the cops react to these around here

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Just stay close to home as these chains need to stretch. You will have to adjust them a couple times then you'll be all set .

a_dam

Feb 21, 2009
Momence, IL
Safe?

I would prefer a steel rim over anything else if it is true and holds a tire properly.

My bikes are mostly all 1970's Schwinn Continental/Varsity types with steel wheels. Those rims are strong, beastly things, but don't have a "lip" to hold the tire bead, so the tire will stick out high and low. Not very noticable at "pedalling" speed (<15 mph), but a pain with a motor.

So my rear wheel now has a 700c aluminum rim. The old "27 inch" wheel has no variety of tires available.

If you have 26" wheels, you will have no problem finding tires and parts. I suppose your wheels will be "safe" unless you are planning to jump the Grand Canyon.

Dooly

Nov 16, 2014
Arlington Tennessee
Thanks for the assurance a_dam. I remember my dad taking me to the Schwinn dealer and one of the sales pitch and demonstrations was how strong the rims were compared to other brands. You're right there is not much variety available. I think they made it so you would have to buy their tires. Your continental looks very similar to my 68 Racer, except for the handlebars. Always had a soft spot for Schwinns. I will keep on the lookout for some better rims . Would really like to go to disc brakes. In the meantime good to know that these are adequate. I will definitely get something better before my scheduled "jump".