Touring Europe?

GoldenMotor.com

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
I could use some suggestions if anyone has any good input.

Towards the end of May if everything goes well I am planning on a Tour of Europe. First flying into London, staying a few days in Wales with friends, then across the channel to Calais. From there to Paris, Zurich, Liechtenstein, Innsbruck, Munich, Leipzig, Sommerschenburg {really tiny village where my father was born}, Hanover, Dusseldorf, Eindhoven, Antwerpen, Brussels, Dunkirk, back to Wales, then back to London and fly back to Canada. {All this subject to serious modifications before trip and during trip depending on time, money, mood, breakdown, premature death, PMS...} Roughly 2,225 mi.

I have a bit of a bad heart so can't pedal for long periods without a motor {actually heart is great shape but have nerve damage {From breaking my back} going to heart so really annoying and limiting but not dangerous}. I have built a china lady and then modded it a fair bit. Needless to say, riding a china lady has convinced me not to use that motor {ya think?}.

I am almost finished building a pusher using predator 99cc but recently found that the best way I can find to ship it to UK would cost over $1000-00. {Is there no slow boat service from Canada to UK anymore???} Okay so next option...

I just ordered from Thatsdax. TitanXC50S, REAR MOUNT CHAIN DRIVE KIT, with a few spare parts like clutch, master-links etc. Before breaking my back {15 years ago} I bicycled up to 40 miles a day. I am extremely mechanical so hopefully should be able to handle any breakdowns although parts I hope will not be too much of an issue.

I don't speak any language other than English but have put a translation app on my smart phone. {Prepaid Sim cards for Europe are dead easy to pick up and cheap}.

I am currently trying to find an airline that will ship my motorized bike but most seem to have an issue with the motor, but I have emails out on the subject and am hoping to hear from them soon.

Although I lived in the UK for a few years 27 years ago I have never been to the continent. From the research I have done, Europeans are very friendly to bicyclers and overall motorists are really considerate of them. Germany and France and many other countries are supposed to be very good for bike routes etc.

Being a long time bicycler, and backpacker I am very aware of weight limitations etc.

Over the past month I have dropped 20 lbs and plan on dropping another 20 in the next few months. I am starting what training I can handle which, so long as my motor does not entirely die {both self and bike motor <lol>}, should be adequate.

I am planning on hostels and camping. Maybe even some couchsurfing.

So does anyone have specific tips regarding this trip?

My time frame is about a month, but that can be adjusted on the fly as I will have a one way ticket there and will not book my flight back until I know when I will be coming back.

One concern I have is luggage. I am not sure if I will be able to quickly get a cheapish used trailer {would prefer to make one before I leave, but shipping prevents it} and really don't want to spend hundreds on something I am going to have leave behind, but failing that I will be decked out with panniers, frame bag etc. The issue I see with that is, when I stop to go up the Eiffel tower or whatever, where do I put my stuff. I really don't want to leave it on my bike all alone, but carrying 3 panniers, frame bag, handlebar bag etc seems really inconvenient and I can't think of a way to secure them to the bike in a way that anyone could still not easily steal in less than 5 seconds.

So does anyone have any suggestions or can point out anything I am not thinking about. Does anyone know if I need to do anything ahead of time to plan to go through all the different boarders or do I just show my Canadian passport and smile?

FireEater

Apr 16, 2012
Alberta Canada
WOW no comments. In any case I think I have decided on getting a trailer. I think tomorrow I will order a single wheel trailer off of eBay and find a way to ship it with me. Maybe I will be able to find a way to fit it in with the shipping box with the bike. I will have to wait and see how big the shipping size is once I have it. Also I realized getting a cheap trailer was not the way to go. Too many people have used child trailers etc and had too many problems with durability. Breaking spokes seems to be a real big issue so I will be respoking everything to a higher gauge spoke and using the no flat tape stuff between the tire and the tube. Also a trick I learned several years ago is also to take black electricians tape and run 3-4 rounds around the rim between the spoke nipples and the inner tube.

I will also take apart and clean/check and re-grease with a good synthetic grease every moving bearing spot on the bike before I go. I am also planning several day trips of around 100 miles to make sure both the bike, motor, trailer and I can handle everything. Again it seems people who fail often fail in the first 50 miles when they find out that some component cannot handle the strain and they have to delay anywhere from a day or two to several days/weeks for a major refit, which could have been avoided by a few good fully loaded day trips.

Still not sure about if I will need any paperwork other than just flashing my passport or not.