check your nuts and bolts

GoldenMotor.com

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
rotfl
I check my nuts and bolts every other ride. If I take a long ride I will do it every ride. I went through my check list: shake the engine see if it's loose, feel the pulleys, check the nuts on the all thread, check the spring and finally pull up on the clutch.

The clutch pulled in far too easily. I looked at the engine and did it again, one of the cross braces- the one on the end had loosened enough that it was alarming. It wasn't noticeable when I shook the engine because I shake it UP and DOWN and not side to side. The screw/nut that hold the engine to the side and holds the brace in place as well had come substantially loose. I tightened them all and they held up just fine for my smooth 5 mile cruise last night. I suspect that the faster I go and the bumpier the ride the more loose it will get. rotfl

I checked them again last night and no problems. But on Sunday I did 22 miles.

Yeah so now I check the nuts and bolts every ride and bring a good tool kit with me- just in case!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Since I never finish working on my bikes, I wind up changing nuts and bolts around continually. However I have found that if I run the first nut in with nothing then lock it with a second one with super glue on it the vibrations don't seem to bother them too much. However the screws holding the motor to the frame can be a real pain for shaking loose. The frame never comes off. I am considering using jb weld on them after I am sure the frame is going to work out.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
these bolts screw into the housing. more like screws than bolts. I didn't use loctite on them because up until now I've been taking the motor on and off the bike, but now that everything is pretty much set with this build I'll be locking everything in place this weekend.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Good plan on the locking down. I destroyed two engines because I didn't lock them down. Those cases will not take much twist and yawing