an ole industrial sewing machine clutch?

GoldenMotor.com

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
When i joined I ask about a manual clutch, and did not get any good feed back. lol now I notice I have an old Consew sewing machine clutch here. I started looking at it today and I am thingking I could adapt this to work on my bike motor project. anybody know what i am talking about? ever seen the older kind that is not machined to the motor, I think I could cut the extra metal off and would weight less than a pound or so. I notice some of the China motor kit's come with a handle bar clutch lever to control a clutch of some kind, should I just buy one of the chiengines to more understand how this is done, I still plan to use a weedwacker or blower motor. but I could use help with the many part's I am having trouble finding and or adapting. is this an adviseable move if I have the spare money? Thanks in advanced Jim S...

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
To be honest I have no idea what one looks like or how you would go about using it.

Exactly how do you plan to transfer the power of the engine to the bike wheel. Ie chain, belt, friction or some other drive system.

To my way of thinking, and probably just mine, the weed whacker is best used as a friction drive system. There are several things that make it ideal for that. For on thing it is light weight once you take off all the excess parts, Light enough in fact for a simple gravity clutch method.

My rule in building is 'keep it simple stupid' KISS. However DIY is all about doing your own thing. There are no rules.

It is a lot easier to get advice for a build if you give us your vision so we can get and idea where you are headed.

NID_FTL

Aug 25, 2008
Sunny South Florida
this is a stock picture of one I found on E-bay, I am heading over to my shop now, will take some detailed pic's of the one I have. since theese old clutches are rarely used anymore, the price is cheap. I will also take some B4 pic's of my Hampton Cruiser for your viewing pleasuer.

Attachments

Last edited: