helmet plug.

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I ride very low speed bikes usually. On Wednesday a week ago in the afternoon, I was testing a bike with a larger than usual motor. I headed off to the lake. I was going down hill on the bike still under 30mph my guess is 25mph or so when something terrible happened. I'm still not completely sure what it was.

I ended up in the hospital with 6 broken ribs and a broken collar bone. I had on a typical coffee cup type bicycle helmet. I think I look Dorky on a Wasp type motorbike. (Under 40cc friction drive) bike with a Motorcycle helmet. It has always been my contention that Lance Armstrong rides much faster than my wasp will run.

I got a look at the helmet after I got out of the hospital and was able to get around some, the helmet hit the ground. It is scraped and judging from the bruising and bone breakage of the rest of me, it took a whack and did just want it was supposed to do.

My plea is this, wear a helmet. The motorcycle helmet is required legally, but if nothing else wear a bike style helmet. The one I had on worked just as it should have to keep my head from being splattered on the pavement. Everyone of the ER people and the EMT just said he was wearing a helmet and it saved his ass. So wear one of some kind.

noisydad

Jun 17, 2009
West Hartford, CT
Sorry to hear about your accident, Deacon. I'm glad you were wearing a helmet and that it did it's job! Hope you heal quickly and get back in the saddle.

I wear a motorcycle helmet as I putt along at 20 mph on my FD.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
i have a new and very healthy respect for the small light weight friction drive. I will most likely never ride anything bigger again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a brain tumor.

We now think from the witness account that I had a seizure and the bike began to wobble. I obviously fell off it. I came too in the ambulance, then went out again. Next I came to in the ER. I have no memory of it. I had been having more seizures lately so I'm not shocked. Those seizures are why i don't drive a car any more. It's hard to wipe out a school bus full of kids on a bicycle.

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
Deacon ..Hope you are feeling better..Yea helmets are a good thing..didnt have mine on, did 24 days ,mostly in coma,Traumatic Brain Injury, after bouncing my head on pavement.Don't remember anything, bike ride or most the time in the hospital ..Been 1 1/2 years now and still dopey

daRog

Apr 15, 2011
California
I'm not real thrilled helmets are required by law in my state, but I wear one anyway because deacon is right.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
My Dear friend, Deacon. We can only suggest our riders wear one. Doctors call Bikers Donors, :( without a helmet. Bones heal, skin grows back. The brain don't. Many people I have known have been "un plugged" from life support after a simple wreck because they were NOT wearing a helmet. All You He Man types that think you can ride so good it can't happen to you. Think again. A Cat hits your front wheel, a bad pot hole. Deacon I pray for you Dude. Broken ribs are real bad. Been there, done that. If either one of us can tell those that don't wear a helmet, to show them the danger, and benifits of wearing one, we have made a difference. To bad so many need to find out the hard way. (c)