Ran out of road!

GoldenMotor.com

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
Hello friends.....thought I would share my scary near miss with you all. I have a superrat 66cc on a standard repco criuser with coaster brake that failed on me and the pull brakes didn't do the job. It was a sweeping bend about 40degree down slope with a rail.before I knew it I was well into this doing 30kmh put pressure on the back brake and the hub locked loosened the cones? Front brakes only eased what was inevitable. End resut cracked elbow,sore thumb,bruised shoulder and burnt inside thigh bad . So I intend to upgrade to disc brakes on the front and rebuild the rear coaster ,extra pull brakes on the rear. Oh and the buckled rims handlebars and exhaust!!
So there you go and you all told me so on bike saftey :):-||

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Disc brakes out front is the only way to go. I converted one just recently and plan to do another one as soon as the Social Security check comes in.
Check out Avid BB-7 brakes. Go for a big rotor on the front wheel, either a 185 or a 203 for the best bang for your buck.
Tom

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
cheers for the replys havn,t had a chance to take a good look at the bike yet should be another week or so bandages will come off but will definatly be looking at beefing up the stopping power on my bike...

discovering more power is easy.... its the handeling of your bike where the fun begins and ends as you know....auflg

FreeWheeler

Jun 22, 2010
Maryland
I hope you heal up soon!!

Your location reminds me of "world's fastest Indian" where Bonneville officials tell Munro that his brakes are inadequate and he says, I plan on going, not stopping. Asked where his parachute is, he says, I dont plan on bailing out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Wow RatRod. Not fun. Feel better soonest.

Thank you for posting this. Gonna help some one from sharing your experience!

Did you guys ever see the Clint Eastwood movie: Kelly's Heroes? There is a line about why their tank goes as fast backwards as forward. "We like to get out of trouble as fast as we get in it" I am sure I messed that up big time but is my thinking on brakes.

LOL, "all these negative vibes Moriarty"

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Moriarty: Crap!

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
I LOVE THAT MOVIE!!!! I have it. I've watched itn every veterens day. We finally bought it lastyear. Too bad he doesn't have too many more like that. lol Clint Eastwood one of my favorite actors, along with John Wayne. Odball is sooooo funny!!!!!!!!

ratrod

Feb 7, 2011
Australia
hey there fellow addicts.....

i was humming and harring weather to put a pic of my leg up but decided to for any newbies who think these machines are harmless.....
this took 6 weeks of bandages changed daily and 500mgr anitbiotics to keep infection away. i have had two motocross bikes when i was younger so i do know how to ride but my foolishness got the better of me....so heres the leg - note the clutch cable - head - and exhaust on the lower leg.

Attachments

Last edited:

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
wow weee tha looks like it hurts bad wow. thank for the post I have been thinking about getting disk brake up front for my newest build and thanks to you I will be getting them and probably on my cruiser too. Hope its heals up all right.